Vulcan 500 issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vulcan 500 issue

mistersouthpaw

Hey everyone, ive got a question for you guys... since im not mechanically inclined in the slightest im hoping you guys can help me out.

so ive got a bike that is new to me, its an '05 vulcan 500. Im having this issue when I start the bike and put it into first and begin letting out the clutch, as soon as I reach the friction zone it will die on me unless I pull the clutch back in. Am I just not letting it warm up enough? or should I run it with the choke on for longer?

Once the bike is moving its completely fine.

Last edited:
The Vulcan 500 has a safety switch on the sidestand, if it is not up when you try to pull away the bike will die (Unlike most bikes that will just shut off it will act like something is holding you back and no matter how hard you try it will stall out). Either you have the side stand down or the switch may be faulty.

Thats kind of the feeling I had, it also was not stalling as if you were to stall it normally.. it was just more like it was dying completely. It pulled away in first perfectly fine after kicking the stand up and down a few times. Thanks for the advice.. I will look into how to remove the switch

Last edited:
spray some lube on the plunger for the switch and push it in and out a few times to free it up. If it persists then either replace it or you may be able to bypass it.

Ill check out that as well. Thanks

edit: pilot jets were fine when I got them out but cleaned it all out since I had it apart and added some seafoam to the tank anyway cause I had some. The plunger on the kickstand was all gunked up and stuck..got it moving again with a little bit of lube.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom