The Five Gadgets Every Motorcycle Rider Needs via: MobileSyrup.com | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Five Gadgets Every Motorcycle Rider Needs via: MobileSyrup.com

Joe ...thanks for the link...I just grabbed Bluetooth headphones to run Google Map directions turn by turn off my iphone. I keep them as a backup on the bike incase I'm looking for a back road "work around" to a location. I dig gizmos!

My Zumio GPS works on the bike and in the car so saved me replacing my old Nuvi for the car. I have a $20 monthly talk and text plan on my smartphone so savings on monthly data plan covered the GPS cost pretty quickly. No right or wrong solution just like no right or wrong bike - just great to have so many choices

Agreed, Heated gear is a must and GPS.
Other than the heated clothing, we don't "need" any of the crap. The camera is nice though.

It's just my opinion as I use to bundle up to ride in the cold and as the years past I came to the conclusion that if it's cold it's not fun for me and I ride to enjoy. That heated gear isn't cheap and covers the cost to use car when it's winter.
I have many rides into PA when it is freezing during the early morning and hot during the day - heated gear allows us to not waste most of your luggage space on multiple layers.

So many reasons I can think of and the most is to extend your riding season which is short enough, but I understand, for some riding is just a small hobby, for others is more than that.

The bonus of the $50 brick gps is that you can leave it on the bike and not worry that it will get stolen.

Cannot be overstated enough, my GPS never leaves the bike.

Sub 15c is considered cold? My fun point theshold is closer to 5-7c...15-20c is when riding is actually more enjoyable since you don't cook at a stop.

15c on a bright sunny day in traffic, and 15c doing 120 for hours on end in a light drizzle are two completely different things. Also I'm a wuss. With heated gear though, I'm comfortable down to 5c in the same conditions.

GPS? use a map! Last time I followed someone using a GPS, we took the wrong way. Besides, getting lost means more riding.

GPS? use a map! Last time I followed someone using a GPS, we took the wrong way. Besides, getting lost means more riding.

Good reason to not use a GPS... If you want to use a GPS and take the way you want to go, then you need to plot it before hand. Understanding that a GPS does not always take you the way you think you should go, but it does get you there.

As for getting lost, well you could say getting lose is better with GPS. Ride to your hearts content, no worry about direction or where you will end up, when it comes time and you want to head home well it is a push of a button and away you go, could not be simpler.

It kind of means more useless riding to potentially straight roads or hwys trying to get back to the route you were going.

Sub 15c is considered cold? My fun point theshold is closer to 5-7c...15-20c is when riding is actually more enjoyable since you don't cook at a stop.

Also still planning on a dedicated moto GPS at some point, but my cost threshold is $400 or lower. I do like dedicated devices that do a few things well, as I like to keep my phone for music and emergency use only. Sucks running it down and then not being able to call if you need to...and the connection to charge a phone isn't designed to handle the vibrations from riding a bike (hence why GPS units don't charge over micro or mini USB ports).

Yeah, my threshold for commuting is 10C... with heated gear, it'd only be a few degrees colder, but then I'm worried about tyre traction....

Good point about phone connections tho! I was gonna rig up my phone, but I'm still undecided...

Hear hear. And for zero dollars you can keep your phone in your pocket and connect your smartphone to your Bluetooth communicator.

GPS will destroy your phone battery - In my car, I can maybe go 2 hours of navigating and then it's not reliable anymore. The only thing I really want is to be able to create a route on my computer, then put it on a device on my bike and follow the route... Google maps finally does this (I don't even think it was available last summer?).. maybe google needs to release a really simple device that tethers off your phone (for internet) and syncs to your maps activity

Last edited:
I have many rides into PA when it is freezing during the early morning and hot during the day - heated gear allows us to not waste most of your luggage space on multiple layers.

So many reasons I can think of and the most is to extend your riding season which is short enough, but I understand, for some riding is just a small hobby, for others is more than that.

Before having my own family and when living with my parents all I did was ride, some how I manage to put on over 50,000km (it's actually much higher but I don't believe it myself) between 2 bikes in one season. Last season I did around 20,000 I do have a gps but it's a car model that works good enough on the bike. My threshold for my morning commute to work is 4*C and yeah that sucks. I have been riding 26 years now and still don't have the heated gear up keep/maintenance/gas consumes that money needed.
Side Note a Gen 1 FJR1300 has all kinds of heat blowing back at rider :(

Back
Top Bottom