Best place for M1 Exit? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best place for M1 Exit?

Be a little careful about using multiple motorcycles on the course. Some will have a tighter turning radius, some will accelerate quicker, some will brake better in a straight line, all will have different friction zones and other differences, even within the same model. If it's your first time ever on a bike, getting the friction zone down early, is a recipe for success.

The course I taught at last year, offered an introduction to riding course for $50, it went through the first four lessons, up to the friction zone, then stopped; I believe that that amount was then discounted if you took the full course. Toronto might be more expensive.

I would recommend Learning Curves M1 exit, try to get into the course taught by Peter, Owen, and Shelly(I think thats her name). They were GREAT and I plan on doing my M2 exit with them as well
second the recommendation for Learning Curves with Peter as instructor. Did mine at Honda Campus in Markham and will be doing M2 Exit there in a few weeks

Be a little careful about using multiple motorcycles on the course. Some will have a tighter turning radius, some will accelerate quicker, some will brake better in a straight line, all will have different friction zones and other differences, even within the same model. If it's your first time ever on a bike, getting the friction zone down early, is a recipe for success.

The course I taught at last year, offered an introduction to riding course for $50, it went through the first four lessons, up to the friction zone, then stopped; I believe that that amount was then discounted if you took the full course. Toronto might be more expensive.

oh ok, i would assume the cruisers would probably have the wider turning radius yeah?

(if you dont mind me asking, where did you teach the course?)

oh ok, i would assume the cruisers would probably have the wider turning radius yeah? (if you dont mind me asking, where did you teach the course?)
Not really. The CBR's because of the short steering lock, and the Sherpas because they're longer. The other bikes might be more standards than cruisers though, and tended to run out of knee room for me at full lock. Not that any of the bike's couldn't make the turns. I taught over in the big city - Ottawa.

On the contrary, I think it could be useful to try all the bikes that are available so you can get a sense of what they're all like. I bought my bike before my course, but had never ridden a motorcycle before. Even though I probably should've just stuck with whatever was closest to my own bike, I enjoyed trying out everything.

I don't think any one person can provide you with the "best" place to take your M1Exit considering most only have experience with one course.. The people with experience with 2 M1Exit courses would probably say the one they failed with sucks..

Hey guys,

just wanted some peoples opinion on M1 exit courses offered through various schools/organisations(The safety course that results in M2)
I'll be taking my safety course/m1 exit course soon

Do some schools/programs have a better reputation?

What about re tests? Are there certain schools that let you take the retest for free? (And more than once if possible?)

thanks
Try Centennial College: Only $385.00 plus HST for a nationally accredited Canada Safety Council course is a real deal!

I took the course from Learning Curves. I think maybe they had the most convenient location for me. They were good enough; my favorite instructor was ex-RTI, though

Yeah, I second the Learning Curves. The price and location were good for me and my friend, the instruction was "good enough". Not amazing. But adequate. All courses that meet the MTO guidelines will teach the same stuff mostly, the difference is in HOW they teach it. At times my instructors weren't super confidence inspiring. (seemed like amateur hour) But when it counted, they were there. I DID learn a lot, and I did emerge a better, more confident rider.

I would also STRONGLY recommend attending the BMW "warm up" evenings that are presented by Clinton Smout at various BMW Motorrad dealerships. He covered more material, more in-depthly, than the "in-class" session of the M1X course. If you can find one of those, regardless of your current ability, I would strongly recommend it.

Update on Curriculum
Some comments earlier in the thread addressed the issues of similarity between the programs, i.e. that there were essentially the colleges and the private programs. Most colleges were delivering the Canada Safety Council's "Gearing Up" program, and private courses were running their own. The ones that do licencing must meet the MTO standards - MTO doesn't provide a curriculum, but approves what's submitted if it includes the required hours of instruction and required content. Any program that is MTO approved must be run by a not-for-profit entity.
In 2016, this is still generally the case with one notable exception. Humber College no longer delivers the Canada Safety Council Gearing Up program. The Humber program started in the '70's at the Downsview Airport and moved to Humber College in 1982. We've enjoyed a long history with the Canada Safety Council, but in the current environment, with vastly different customer demographic and so many other options available, operating our own program will allow us to deal directly with the MTO certification process. This provides much more flexibility to react to changes in the industry - whether related to law, insurance, bike sales.

just curious, as to why?
Their program is not CSC(not necessarily bad), they hire freshly graduated students as instructors, the program is overall not very professional, and they have questionable testing practices. You are almost guaranteed to pass barring a major catastrophe.

I know several ex-instructors from there and they all left for similar reasons. I also know several instructors who are still there and turn a blind eye.

I would much rather send someone to a harder school with a higher chance of failure, as the everybody wins approach is going to send under-prepared riders out onto the roads and I don't agree with it.

Yeah, I second the Learning Curves. The price and location were good for me and my friend, the instruction was "good enough". Not amazing. But adequate. All courses that meet the MTO guidelines will teach the same stuff mostly, the difference is in HOW they teach it. At times my instructors weren't super confidence inspiring. (seemed like amateur hour) But when it counted, they were there. I DID learn a lot, and I did emerge a better, more confident rider.
Case in point. "Good enough" is not something people should be settling for. Amateur hour is not something people should be paying for.

Last edited:
Their program is not CSC(not necessarily bad), they hire freshly graduated students as instructors, the program is overall not very professional, and they have questionable testing practices. You are almost guaranteed to pass barring a major catastrophe.

I know several ex-instructors from there and they all left for similar reasons. I also know several instructors who are still there and turn a blind eye.

I would much rather send someone to a harder school with a higher chance of failure, as the everybody wins approach is going to send under-prepared riders out onto the roads and I don't agree with it.

Case in point. "Good enough" is not something people should be settling for. Amateur hour is not something people should be paying for.

It seems if they learned alot, became better, and were more confident, they did their job, regardless of how you or someone else might perceive them

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Also you say their program is not CSC, but theyre on the MTO approved page, i thought the CSC approval and MTO was the same thing?

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/motorcycle-safety-courses.shtml

It seems if they learned alot, became better, and were more confident, they did their job, regardless of how you or someone else might perceive them
Doing their job, and doing a good job are two different things.

Also you say their program is not CSC, but theyre on the MTO approved page, i thought the CSC approval and MTO was the same thing?

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/motorcycle-safety-courses.shtml
Two different things. MTO approval is required for licensing, CSC is the curriculum.

Refer to Emefef's post above.

Doing their job, and doing a good job are two different things.

Two different things. MTO approval is required for licensing, CSC is the curriculum.

Refer to Emefef's post above.

Will Learning curves provide the insurance discount?
(In other words count as an approved MSF course?)

Update on Curriculum
Some comments earlier in the thread addressed the issues of similarity between the programs, i.e. that there were essentially the colleges and the private programs. Most colleges were delivering the Canada Safety Council's "Gearing Up" program, and private courses were running their own. The ones that do licencing must meet the MTO standards - MTO doesn't provide a curriculum, but approves what's submitted if it includes the required hours of instruction and required content. Any program that is MTO approved must be run by a not-for-profit entity.
In 2016, this is still generally the case with one notable exception. Humber College no longer delivers the Canada Safety Council Gearing Up program. The Humber program started in the '70's at the Downsview Airport and moved to Humber College in 1982. We've enjoyed a long history with the Canada Safety Council, but in the current environment, with vastly different customer demographic and so many other options available, operating our own program will allow us to deal directly with the MTO certification process. This provides much more flexibility to react to changes in the industry - whether related to law, insurance, bike sales.

That would infer that schools using the CSC curriculum are NOT able to "deal directly with the MTO certification process"

What does "deal directly" mean ?

Back
Top Bottom