Buying a bike in winter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike in winter

bigpoppa

Iv heard that its best to buy a bike AFTER the riding season as they are cheaper, does this apply to dealerships as well(or just people?)

In your experience how much have you seen the price drop say by (mid nov?)

I was thinking of going to see a dealer anywhere from nov-jan

an 8k bike would drop to what 7k?

It would depend on the bike and it would depend on the dealer.
If you go to a dealer at that time of year there are certainly deals available on last year's bikes, demonstrators etc.
As a rule, the dealer will begin to get their inventory of next years models in Jan. through March.
So if the dealer had a poor year they may be eager to move inventory to make room.

It would depend on the bike and it would depend on the dealer.
If you go to a dealer at that time of year there are certainly deals available on last year's bikes, demonstrators etc.
As a rule, the dealer will begin to get their inventory of next years models in Jan. through March.
So if the dealer had a poor year they may be eager to move inventory to make room.

say if i went in november to purchase a bike, and pointed out the fact that they wont be selling any bikes till about spring(when riding season starts), in conjunction with the fact that the new models will be coming in, will i be looking at a decent discount/price at a dealership? or are they stubborn and are likely to hold out?(this doesnt make financial sense)

Go in with a price in mind and stick to your guns. There are thousands of bikes for sale, both through dealerships and privately. I bought my current bike in mid December the afternoon of my wife's work Christmas party. I was a bit late getting there but it was well worth it. The bike I bought is sitting at about $2K more than what I paid based on a scan of kijiji/dealer prices.

If you hold out after they hold out, they'll fold and give it to you for free.

Deals can be had at anytime of year if you're patient and look hard/long enough. If you've already decided on going the dealer route for brand new (why buy used from a dealer?), "old" inventory is best. Some dealers might still have a brand new 2014 model kicking around they're itching to get rid of. You'll also have to look far beyond your own city to find any deals like that though.
EG: 2014 Honda VFR on their website.
$14,499
MSRP
$3,100
SAVINGS

$11,399
YOUR PRICE

I've also seen demo bikes with a few add-ons that are great deals. Less than 1000km and basically new with some extra fun bits (exhaust, rear seat cap, carbon pieces etc.) for far less than a new one.

The dealer will always be trying to get the most they can from a customer and the customer will be trying to pay the lowest price.
I would put off visiting the dealer until after the first snowfall. Nothing makes dealers willing to sell more than snow on the ground.
It's like the official announcement of the start of the slow season.
If you know what you want, go to the dealer's web page. Most have lists of their inventory online.
Look at the prices and set a maximum you will pay. Take a day and visit the various dealers around town and try to make a deal.
Make sure you can ride it home. The dealer may give you a good price in the hope of dinging you for three months storage.

Tbh they must be on some tight AF margins because when I went to buy a new ZX6R there was very little wiggle room... but despite what they said at the time, they ended up bringing it down a decent amount when no one would buy it. Saw the price go lower and lower as they kept advertising on kijiji until I guess it hit a rock bottom price since they kept it at that price from like january up until the end of march.

IIRC when I went in I believe it was 11.500 but ended up at 9999.99 when no one would buy it.

I dont think dealers' prices change but i bought both of my bikes during the winter from private sellers, one in january and the other late november. I feel like a got a better deal because I bought during the winter.

I find people are willing to negotiate down alot more in the winter. They want the bike out by spring. Maybe so they can upgrade or whatever. Or they arent getting many calls because less people are looking for bikes in the winter.

On the flip side, people know bikes sell for higher in the spring, so many sellers wait until spring to list their bikes, so there is more selection in the spring.

say if i went in november to purchase a bike, and pointed out the fact that they wont be selling any bikes till about spring(when riding season starts), in conjunction with the fact that the new models will be coming in, will i be looking at a decent discount/price at a dealership? or are they stubborn and are likely to hold out?(this doesnt make financial sense)

It depends on their philosophy. Some have no compunction to be snowed(no pun intended) by a potential tire kicker. I went to a dealer where the bike I fancied was already one year old and sitting there a long time and I pointed out in a grand gesture that the bike was one year old and sitting there a long time. I didn't say anything about the weather because, looking out the window, it would have been painfully obvious to anyone plugged into the zeitgeist. I didn't get the deal I had hoped for and went home to youtube other bikes and soon realized the bike I fancied was way down on power and had a stone age electronics package.

Bikes and boats are cheap in the fall. Snowmobiles are cheap in the spring. Anything seasonal, at the end of the related season, almost always results in better deals. Dealerships probably not so much, they'd rather sit on stuff than loose money...but private sale, all sorts of deals on toys at the end of their related seasons.

I paid $2000 less for my bike in the late fall vs what I could sell it for today. Owner wanted it gone, didn't want to sit on it, and I jumped. I know I could sell it today for at LEAST $2K more than what I paid for it, perhaps close to $3K more if I found the right person.

If the Great Lakes ever dry up there will lots of boats for sale cheaper than normal. Keep the information coming.

Iv heard that its best to buy a bike AFTER the riding season as they are cheaper, does this apply to dealerships as well(or just people?)

In your experience how much have you seen the price drop say by (mid nov?)

I was thinking of going to see a dealer anywhere from nov-jan

an 8k bike would drop to what 7k?

I saved $2500 on my RSV4 buying in the fall, but almost all of the savings was from an Aprilia factory incentive. The actual dealerships often don't have the margins to make the deals we'd like them to.

OP. It's all about patience. Not necessarily time of year. It's about stock management, supply and demand. You do have to narrow your choice of bike down to a handful and then keep an eye open and be ready when the opportunity presents.

Spring and summer, product is moving, demand is high but, some deals are to be made. Winter, things are slow but, they need to the keep the lights on somehow. So, they won't give it away either.

If you have your eye on a popular brand and model, it's not likely going to be an outstanding deal. So, you have to decide what else is important. Dealer reputation, location, etc.

Personally, I'd look for something used. And depending on what I'm looking for, check out if they have any specific forums for those machines and become a member. Ask questions, make friends and maybe you'll even come across the bike you are looking for and strike up a deal.

There are riders that prefer to avoid storing their bike for the winter so, the fall is a good time to look for deals with used. But, do you have the storage yourself? Can you get it home? Can you wait until spring to ride?

Also will depend as someone said earlier on the dealership. A dealership with multiple lines, of products, Bikes, ATV's, Sleds, Watercraft, etc are less likely to throw up big savings. Simply because they don't have to "sell a bike in winter cheap to keep the lights on" they sell sleds and the bikes are stored away so it is harder to access them etc. If it is a dealership like say GP bikes, they are large enough they don't "have" to make deals people are buying all year. Some people buy for Xmas etc. So they aren't as motivated as say a private seller may be.

OP. It's all about patience. Not necessarily time of year. It's about stock management, supply and demand. You do have to narrow your choice of bike down to a handful and then keep an eye open and be ready when the opportunity presents.

Spring and summer, product is moving, demand is high but, some deals are to be made. Winter, things are slow but, they need to the keep the lights on somehow. So, they won't give it away either.

If you have your eye on a popular brand and model, it's not likely going to be an outstanding deal. So, you have to decide what else is important. Dealer reputation, location, etc.

So if its not a particularly popular bike(like the beginner 300s that are always in demand) im more likely to get a better deal on it in the winter(especially if its an older model?)

So if its not a particularly popular bike(like the beginner 300s that are always in demand) im more likely to get a better deal on it in the winter(especially if its an older model?)

What do you mean not particularily popular? There are tons of beginner 250s and 300s around, maybe more than any other bike.

Ya, id say those bikes are affected by season even more than the bigger bikes. People buy a 250, ride it for a season, and want to upgrade the next year. Maybe they need to get rid of the 250 before they can afford/have room for their next bike, so they want to do it as soon as possible and dont want it sitting sround all winter. That was the situation when i got my 250.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom