2017 MotoGP Silly Season | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 MotoGP Silly Season

KTM will only attract non factory riders looking for a factory ride, so anyone already on a factory bike is out including Bradl who I think is a really good rider with bad timing on getting on teams.

I'd imagine they've inquired, but as an unknown (performance wise) it'll be hard for them to attract riders with other options. As for Bradl; I think he'll stay with Aprilia

Well, Sam Lowes has already been signed by Aprilia for the 2017-2018 seasons, so either Bradl or Bautista have to go. Or maybe both and they'll go after another rider who may be out of a team in 2017.

Well, KTM and Bradl are both sponsored by Red Bull, so there's that...

Not fact, just thinking aloud; but I feel like half the riders on the grid are sponsored by Red Bull

Well, Sam Lowes has already been signed by Aprilia for the 2017-2018 seasons, so either Bradl or Bautista have to go. Or maybe both and they'll go after another rider who may be out of a team in 2017.

Yeah I knew about lowes. It was part of his deal with the switch to Gresini this year. Anywho, Bradl has bested Bautista on most occasions since he arrived so if I had to guess (which I am) I'd say he stays.

He'd be a fool to stay with Suzuki
Yea, Go to 1 of 2 bikes that have won every championship since 2008 or stay with a bike that might some day.

Well Lorenzo left so......

Edit: leaving

Lorenzo is leaving with three championships in hand, maybe 4. It's a slightly different scenario. That said, if Vinales stays with Suzuki, it will be for reasons similar to Lorenzo leaving Yamaha. The thought of winning for a brand other than the big 2, and being lauded as an all time great for doing so, is to some, more appealing than winning on a bike that everyone expects you to win on.

Use Stoner as an example; when you think of him as a world champion, do you picture him on a Ducati, or a Honda? I would bet for most its the former, and it's a huge part of why most consider him a legend.

End of the day, I do expect him to leave. The appeal of riding a bike capable of winning now is just to great for a young, hungry for success rider like Maverick.

Well Lorenzo left so......

Edit: leaving

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
He said it on the Press Conference, his motivation is to win on a different bike, not to win again. I am paraphrasing

Am I the only one not entirely convinced about Mav moving to Yamaha and having an INSTANT impact? Like fighting for a championship type impact.

Mind you, i'm just judging this based on his past results. Yes, he was a Moto3 champ, but he didn't win Moto2 and his total wins are only 16. He hasn't podium as of yet in Motogp but getting closer and closer.

The way people are talking about him, it sounds like he'd instantly fight for a championship as soon as he jumps on the Yamaha. Don't get me wrong, he's a stud BUT.....

Am I the only one not entirely convinced about Mav moving to Yamaha and having an INSTANT impact? Like fighting for a championship type impact.

Mind you, i'm just judging this based on his past results. Yes, he was a Moto3 champ, but he didn't win Moto2 and his total wins are only 16. He hasn't podium as of yet in Motogp but getting closer and closer.

The way people are talking about him, it sounds like he'd instantly fight for a championship as soon as he jumps on the Yamaha. Don't get me wrong, he's a stud BUT.....

The guy got 4 wins and 5 other Podiums in his first and only season in moto2. Had he not chose to go to suzuki and stayed in moto2 for another year, probably a good chance he would have been a champion in that also.

I don't think he would have an instant impact either, but, of all the riders available for both short and long term potential, the list is not all that long. It basically is Vinales, maybe Iannone, and maybe Rins.

What I am more curious to see is if Vinales does go to Yamaha, what his dynamic will be with him and Rossi. Being Rossi's teammate only works if you don't challenge him. Lorenzo was the first teammate Rossi truly could not handle since Lorenzo was a threat. None of his other teammates in the past came close to poking Rossi.

I don't think he would have an instant impact either, but, of all the riders available for both short and long term potential, the list is not all that long. It basically is Vinales, maybe Iannone, and maybe Rins.

What I am more curious to see is if Vinales does go to Yamaha, what his dynamic will be with him and Rossi. Being Rossi's teammate only works if you don't challenge him. Lorenzo was the first teammate Rossi truly could not handle since Lorenzo was a threat. None of his other teammates in the past came close to poking Rossi.

I'm sure it'll be all fun and games until Mav starts beating him.

I don't think he will be in serious contention for the 2017 championship, he will for sure win some races but the potential is on 2 -5 years from now.

On the team mate topic, Maverik seems to have the smarts to not be such a public dick so I think him and VR might not be best of friends once the competitions starts, but I don't see Vinales giving thumbs down when VR gets a trophy on the podium or trying to get involved to ensure VR gets penalized, so they will be fine.

Last edited:

I definitely not convinced he's going to go out and win championships.. You just never know how it's going to pan out. But potential as the measuring stick, he's the best rider available for sure. As far as Moto2/3 performance goes, he was actually quite good. You say his total wins were only 16 (over 4 seasons)... Casey only had 6 over 4 seasons in 125/250's, then bam! Second full season in GP he lands on the right bike at the right time and wins 10. Not taking anything away from Casey, he is an all time great; but you need to be in the right place at the right time as well.

The guy got 4 wins and 5 other Podiums in his first and only season in moto2. Had he not chose to go to suzuki and stayed in moto2 for another year, probably a good chance he would have been a champion in that also.

Agreed 100%

Back
Top Bottom