2017 MotoGP Silly Season | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 MotoGP Silly Season

Why is it hard to fathom? Emilio Alzamora and Alberto Puig have been doing it for years. The Spotted Pedrosa and Marquez at likw 8-9 years old and pegged them for championship contenders....

That's exactly the problem with these kinds of fan threads. Emilio Alzamora and Alberto Puig aren't just *anybody* sitting on the sidelines. And I said *accurately* judge talent. Do you think every scouted rider pans out? So, again, to predict who deserves what ride based on talent judged from a distance.......

Rabat is proof that the moto2 class is ****ing useless. I would be surprised if he gets another year.

I think Rabat is more a case of being a champion when there was a lull in talent in Moto2. I still think the Moto2 discipline has value. Although, I acknowledge it has dropped in value compared to the 250cc class it replaced.

I do think Dorna/FIM ought to change the Moto2 formula though. To what? I don't know. The big appeal of Moto2 is its cost to run - it's cheaper to run than Moto3 (probably thanks to manufacturer competition).

Last edited:
VanDermark has tons of Pull being Dutch, and their lack of a Dutch rider in the top class. And He is on the dinosaur of a Fireblade and is having to ride the wheels off it. HRC will take note of him (and he could jump right to a factory seat (no that they have gotten rid of the "**** you ben spies rule")

The same way HRC took note of Jonny Rea when he was WINNING races on that very same outdated Fireblade; VDM has yet to do that incase you've missed that. He's talented forsure; but you've slotted him into Repsol... not happening

If Pons gets his way I can see Lucio jumping into moto2 with the LCR squad. (its cheaper)

If Pons gets his way, he'll get the one remaining slot. All the existing teams have already been assigned their 2017 slots by Dorna

Money talks...Rins will go to the best package financially and bike wise.

Exactly, now think about the past tech 3 riders. Other than Spies I can't name one who's made it onto the Factory team. Couple that with Rins' desire for a Factory ride and your appointment still makes no sense

Yes Nakagami....they havent had a Japanese rider in the top class for a while. And Dorna NEED a Japanese rider up there, and would probably push one of the teams into signing him (he is doing very well this year, just keeps getting screwed)

Unless he finds consistency, it wont be happening

Crutchlow will ride for a lower class Duc team, or be done in GPs. He lacks the talent, but has a ton of personality which he is coasting on atm...with 0 points.

You seem to forget all the things Cal said about Ducati before announcing he was leaving with one year left on a factory contract to ride satellite team. There is bad blood and Ducati has a say in who is on all of their bikes.

Rabat is proof that the moto2 class is ****ing useless. I would be surprised if he gets another year.

If you knew anything about Marc Van Der Straten, you wouldnt be so sure

I DO know whats going on, and its silly season...crazier **** has happened. Anyone remember 2004? or 1988? Crazier stuff has happened.

not seeing it, sorry. I'll bookmark this and check back in a few months. Maybe I eat crow, but I doubt it

HRC sees a lot in Miller, and I do as well. Tons of potential, and flashes of brilliance for someone who went from 60hp to 260hp.

Agreed, big jump, but he's not got a top ten in 20 starts and you got him possibly going to Repsol? Yet Rabat, 3 races in is on his way out? I'm guessing this is more about who your a fan of than what might actually happen. HRC may retain him, or maybe not. but he will not be on the Factory team next year

I think Rabat is more a case of being a champion when there was a lull in talent in Moto2. I still think the Moto2 discipline has value. Although, I acknowledge it has dropped in value compared to the 250cc class it replaced.

I do think Dorna/FIM ought to change the Moto2 formula though. To what? I don't know. The big appeal of Moto2 is its cost to run - it's cheaper to run than Moto3 (probably thanks to manufacturer competition).

Not to mention he is a slow learner. Took him time at every step to even get close to the front. Wouldn't write him off just yet, though I wouldn't say he has a bright future in GP yet either... He needs time and VDS will give him a fair shot

Yes, you are right, Rea was winning on the Honda. Rea is also one of the best riders in the world (motogp and wsbk) Like I said previously...Dorna would LOVE a Dutch kid in a factory team.

Ill cave on point 2, I was unaware that Lucio still had 1 grid spot for next year.

Uh...Norick Abe Factory Yamaha, Marco Melandri Factory Yamaha, and Ducati, and Honda Carlos Checa Factory Yamaha AND Ducati,Colin Edwards factory Yamaha, Spies, Factory Yamaha, Crutchlow Factory Ducati, Dovi Factory Ducati, Smith Factory KTM...

I still see Nakagami in the top class with Dorna Funding his ride.

What do I need to know about Marc Vander Stratten? He is a businessman, he wants the best rider (he can get) on his bike. If Morbidelli does really well this year (which he is) Rabat is gone.

Yes, last year going from moto3 to motogp and still being able to finish a head of a ton of seasoned riders in the points at that...woah. We are 4 races in and the kid has a broken leg...Ill give him benefit of the doubt

Uh...Norick Abe Factory Yamaha, Marco Melandri Factory Yamaha, and Ducati, and Honda Carlos Checa Factory Yamaha AND Ducati,Colin Edwards factory Yamaha, Spies, Factory Yamaha, Crutchlow Factory Ducati, Dovi Factory Ducati, Smith Factory KTM...

His point was that tech3 riders rarely move up to factory Yamaha. I believe Spies is the only one in the MotoGP to have done so and that's because that was his agreement when he signed with Yamaha from AMA. I think he was lucky too because of Rossi's departure. Had Rossi stayed, Spies would not have ended up on the factory team.

Yes, you are right, Rea was winning on the Honda. Rea is also one of the best riders in the world (motogp and wsbk) Like I said previously...Dorna would LOVE a Dutch kid in a factory team.

Why? Because you would love a Dutch kid on a Repsol? It's completely baseless speculation. Again, IF he makes the jump it will be into a satellite team.

Ill cave on point 2, I was unaware that Lucio still had 1 grid spot for next year.

I repeat; nobody but Spies has ever moved UP to the Factory Yamaha from Tech 3 (to my knowledge). Every other name you mentioned was either moved down from the Factory team or moved elsewhere to secure a factory ride.

I still see Nakagami in the top class with Dorna Funding his ride.

Again, I ask why? What does Dorna care? Can you elaborate? And is Dorna "paying" for anyone else' ride atm? I know they subsidies the teams but I've not heard of them handing out cash to get a particular rider on the grid... Maybe he gets a seat on a satellite Japanese bike, but again I'm not holding my breath and I've read or heard nothing of the sort.

What do I need to know about Marc Vander Stratten? He is a businessman, he wants the best rider (he can get) on his bike. If Morbidelli does really well this year (which he is) Rabat is gone.

You obviously know nothing of how the man does business.. go do some research and get back to me. Rabat will get to see his contract through.

Yes, last year going from moto3 to motogp and still being able to finish a head of a ton of seasoned riders in the points at that...woah. We are 4 races in and the kid has a broken leg...Ill give him benefit of the doubt

He finished the season 19th overall from 22 full season riders. When did 3 become a ton? Anyway, I digress.. We're 4 races in, and you're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt; but not Rabat... hrrm... bit fanboy esq no?

His point was that tech3 riders rarely move up to factory Yamaha. I believe Spies is the only one in the MotoGP to have done so and that's because that was his agreement when he signed with Yamaha from AMA. I think he was lucky too because of Rossi's departure. Had Rossi stayed, Spies would not have ended up on the factory team.

Thank you Chaos. I thought it was a pretty straight forward statement... and on the subject of Spies, when Rossi wanted to come back it was buh-bye Benny...

I hope to see the day when Pawi rides a Kawi. Should do, anybody see him in the wet? Skillz.

I hope to see the day when Pawi rides a Kawi. Should do, anybody see him in the wet? Skillz.

Mad Skillz... but I'm reminded of a line from a certain Brandon Lee flick

Factory Honda: Marquez, BINDER

Factory Honda: Marquez, Marquez

Little bro can go bowling for Yammys and Ducs while big bro rides off into the sunset. Pedrosa showed a flash of this potential last round; but sadly I don't think his heart is in it

Last edited:
Thank you Chaos. I thought it was a pretty straight forward statement... and on the subject of Spies, when Rossi wanted to come back it was buh-bye Benny...

Yonny is subsisted by Dorna at the moment with the Ducati team. Purely because he is south American (never even had a top 5 in moto2 or GP). So a Japanese rider (assume Taka gets some consistant pace) will get help from Dorna.

You seem to forget that Dorna runs Motogp and its a business. They will help out (by subsidizing) riders from different nationalities if they can get a rider with a shred of talent from Japan, Holland, the US....because they want an international field!

Yonny is subsisted by Dorna at the moment with the Ducati team. Purely because he is south American (never even had a top 5 in moto2 or GP). So a Japanese rider (assume Taka gets some consistant pace) will get help from Dorna.

You seem to forget that Dorna runs Motogp and its a business. They will help out (by subsidizing) riders from different nationalities if they can get a rider with a shred of talent from Japan, Holland, the US....because they want an international field!

1. Dorna provides money to every team on the grid for each bike they field. That level differs from Factory to Satellite and is also dependent on championship position I believe. Can you provide a link to a credible source for the "Yonny directly payed for by Dorna" claim (and not forum chatter please)

2. IF Dorna was pulling some strings to have a guy like Yonny in GP, it was because GP was wanting to return to South America with some sort of interest for South Americans. GP is well established in the Netherlands and Japan; it's apples and oranges, and again wild speculation. But hey, anythings possible I guess. Like I said before, maybe I'll eat crow...

It is looking increasingly likely Vinales will go to Yamaha. If he does, it will be interesting to see if one of the Andreas makes a move to try and secure that open Suzuki seat before the other shoe drops at Ducati. I sometimes wonder if Iannone would be thinking it might be better to leave and have the opportunity to be #1 over playing second fiddle to Lorenzo (which I think whomever stays will)

It is looking increasingly likely Vinales will go to Yamaha. If he does, it will be interesting to see if one of the Andreas makes a move to try and secure that open Suzuki seat before the other shoe drops at Ducati. I sometimes wonder if Iannone would be thinking it might be better to leave and have the opportunity to be #1 over playing second fiddle to Lorenzo (which I think whomever stays will)

that would be my guess. Dovi stays at Ducati. Iannone goes to Suzuki. Vinales goes to Yamaha.

I just read that Iannone has an offer from Suzuki.

I'm kind of surprised KTM hasn't gone after Dovisioso or Iannone...
Sure, they have Bradley Smith signed as a factory rider, and 3 guys as test riders, but either of the Andrea's would be a welcomed addition I am sure...

Just really hope KTM doesn't sign Mr. Crash-o-matic Stefan Bradl...

I'm kind of surprised KTM hasn't gone after Dovisioso or Iannone...
Sure, they have Bradley Smith signed as a factory rider, and 3 guys as test riders, but either of the Andrea's would be a welcomed addition I am sure...

Just really hope KTM doesn't sign Mr. Crash-o-matic Stefan Bradl...

I'd imagine they've inquired, but as an unknown (performance wise) it'll be hard for them to attract riders with other options. As for Bradl; I think he'll stay with Aprilia

Back
Top Bottom