2017 MotoGP Silly Season | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 MotoGP Silly Season

Barbera and Baz confirmed for Avintia. Sounds like Barbera is going to get a GP16 and Baz a GP15. Aspar will also get one of each, with the GP16 to go to Bautista and the GP15 to whomever the teammate is.

Moto2 Gossip:

With Fenati being booted from VR46, it sounds like Bagnaia is now moving up to Moto2 with VR46.

Luthi is staying with his current team.

Miguel Oliviera will be moving to KTM, leaving Leopard.

In some ways Moto2 silly season is more interesting than MotoGP.

Last edited:
With Honda leaving at the end of 2018, I hope they open up engine competition, but with rules similar to moto3:
*Snip*
Personally, I'd also like to see the spec changed to a 2-cylinder - 500cc. (Since motogp is 4-1000 and moto3 is 1-250) Not sure that will happen though.

Would be terrible to go to 500cc. Definitive downgrade from the 600's they have now. You'd either need to improve a parallel twin that's already in production or have to develop an entirely new motor from scratch. That would defeat the entire "make it cheaper for everyone" idea behind it...

Would be terrible to go to 500cc. Definitive downgrade from the 600's they have now. You'd either need to improve a parallel twin that's already in production or have to develop an entirely new motor from scratch. That would defeat the entire "make it cheaper for everyone" idea behind it...

You think it would be that bad? Wasn't the moto3 engine essentially built from scratch?

Spec series should be left to the National level. This is world championship GP. You want the manufacturers, don't force them to use someone else's engines. KTM jumping into moto2 means one of two things to my mind. Either they're making a play to be the engine supplier; or they know something we don't (engine rules opening up). Hopefully the latter

Spec series should be left to the National level. This is world championship GP. You want the manufacturers, don't force them to use someone else's engines. KTM jumping into moto2 means one of two things to my mind. Either they're making a play to be the engine supplier; or they know something we don't (engine rules opening up). Hopefully the latter

Dorna was trying to avoid the situation in the 250cc days where there was only really one manufacturer that took it seriously for a while (Aprilia), they were expensive to lease, and Aprilia picked and chose what team got what equipment.

I am ok with multiple manufacturers, but I do hope they implement a cost cap for teams to get equipment. I also don't think either moto2 or moto3 are a place for factory teams.

Not sure if either is practically enforceable though.

Dorna was trying to avoid the situation in the 250cc days where there was only really one manufacturer that took it seriously for a while (Aprilia), they were expensive to lease, and Aprilia picked and chose what team got what equipment.

I am ok with multiple manufacturers, but I do hope they implement a cost cap for teams to get equipment. I also don't think either moto2 or moto3 are a place for factory teams.

Not sure if either is practically enforceable though.

Cost cap is a okay... ie build what you want but you must lease/sell it for no more than x dollars. Moto3 today is far more open than Moto2, and you definitely couldn't say the racing is better in Moto2, despite the parody in machines. So you keep cost ultra low and grid numbers rise.. that doesn't necessarily translate to a more competitive race. See CRT years for example.

The aprilia dominance of the 250's was very much down to the rules falling behind the times imho. No other manufacturer saw reason to continue dumping resources into 2 strokes which were being phased out of the market all over the world.

Moto3: Antonelli joining Ajo next season. Good move for him.

Indeed. Great team, hopefully he can find some consistency. Kid's got talent. I think he will; look what the Ajo team has done for Binder

Moto2 should stick to 600cc inline 4s but I'm good with multiple manufacturers building their own engines.

Or 675cc Triple or 750cc Twin.

Bautista confirmed at Aspar on a GP16

Laverty said he'd stay only if he gets a GP16 as well. Not sure if that is going to happen. Otherwise, it'll be Yonny Hernandez.

I think Laverty will be moving back to WSBK. Barbera has been promised a GP16 with Baz likely getting a GP15 iirc. So with the Bautista news I think it's fair to say the second Aspar bike will likely be a GP15. Only so many bikes to go around, and with Pramac obviously getting two GP16's as well, I don't think they'd have one to give Laverty even if they wanted to.

Moto3: Gresini signs DiGiannantonio and Martin for 2017

Bastianini remains unsigned. Rumour is that Alzamora Estrella Galacia team is interested in him (replacing Navarro who is moving to Moto2).

More romours: Antonelli is not yet signed with Ajo, there are rumblings (i can't say for sure how strong) that Fenati has been lobbying for the seat. There are also rumblings of Fenati taking Antonelli's spot at Ongetta should Antonelli go to Ajo.

Silly season keeps going strong in Moto2 and Moto3

On Fenati joining Ajo, I heard that as a possibility a while back; apparently Ajo has a good track record with attitude adjustment (Miller?)

Moto3: Fenati signs with Ongetta, presumably to replace Antonelli, who is rumoured to sign with Ajo. Not sure what is holding this up at this point.

Back
Top Bottom