2017 MotoGP Silly Season | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 MotoGP Silly Season

including: Melandri to Ducati (who saw that coming?)

*facepalm*

Also interesting the SMR/Aprilia talks seem to leave Brookes out of the running entirely. Guess winning the BSB title for them only buys you one season

I am more then happy to see Melandri again back in action, i also like Bradl, definitely a talent guy but been unlucky in motogp with satellite teams..especially the Aprilia motogp, hopefully the new Honda will kick *** in 2017!!

He hasn't really done anything noteworthy in WSBK. Again.

But he has thoroughly outperformed his teammate; that said, Savadori is a good prospect, and if you can get Laverty to come back I understand. But Camier would be nothing more than a step sideways, outside of his marketing draw (which I admit is a big deal)

speculative rumour:

Chaz Davies signs a 2 year deal with Ducati. 2017 in WSBK. 2018 with Pramac?

more speculation:

Barbera appears to be getting a GP16 at Avintia next season. Baz is likely going to be his teammate but it's not known if he's going to get a GP15 or GP16.

Moto2:

Looks like Ajo is going to run a KTM chassis in 2017 in Moto2. Also, Suter may return as well after being unceremoniously dumped by everyone at the end of 2015

The only way Melandri landing a ride on the second (maybe even best some weeks) bike on the grid makes any sense

Melandri is talented, just a bit of an attitude problem.

He caught fire at the second half of his last WSBK season and I think he would have won the championship if he had gelled with the Aprilia earlier on in the season. He probably would have been a contender for the 2015 title if Aprilia hadn't pulled him off to go to MotoGP.

His lack of performance in MotoGP was in retaliation for being yanked from WSBK. He just didn't try. Just like when he was on the Desmosedici with Stoner in 2008/2009. He just stopped trying after realizing he couldn't gel with the bike (him and every other rider who tried). It's not possible to finish last on the order when your team mate is winning races. Not with his level of talent.

There's rumours that he may be on a pay-per-performance program with Ducati. If that's the case, it'll solve the attitude/motivation problem that's probably prevented him from landing a gig in 2016.

I know lots of riders starting out pay their own way for a spot on the grid. However, a rider of his calibre opting to be a mercenary instead of taking a salary is a dangerous precedent to set for the rest of the riders in the field. Especially on a factory team.

It's not going to make him very popular in the paddock.

Rumored to Honda eh... So Does Nicky get the shaft or is VDM moving on? I'm not up on VDM's contract situation; does he have another year?

Bradl signs for Honda, VDM remarks to the news.

7riWz8Z.jpg
[/IMG]

Melandri is talented, just a bit of an attitude problem.

He caught fire at the second half of his last WSBK season and I think he would have won the championship if he had gelled with the Aprilia earlier on in the season. He probably would have been a contender for the 2015 title if Aprilia hadn't pulled him off to go to MotoGP.

His lack of performance in MotoGP was in retaliation for being yanked from WSBK. He just didn't try. Just like when he was on the Desmosedici with Stoner in 2008/2009. He just stopped trying after realizing he couldn't gel with the bike (him and every other rider who tried). It's not possible to finish last on the order when your team mate is winning races. Not with his level of talent.

There's rumours that he may be on a pay-per-performance program with Ducati. If that's the case, it'll solve the attitude/motivation problem that's probably prevented him from landing a gig in 2016.

I know lots of riders starting out pay their own way for a spot on the grid. However, a rider of his calibre opting to be a mercenary instead of taking a salary is a dangerous precedent to set for the rest of the riders in the field. Especially on a factory team.

It's not going to make him very popular in the paddock.

Surely a great choice :rolleyes:

At the very least they save a ton of money not having to fix Giugliano's bike after he keeps crashing it. His DNF stats are probably the worse on the grid.

No doubting that... I will say, more than potentially not having to pay Marco, I think the sponsorship money he likely brings to the table made this deal workable for Aruba and Ducati.

Luthi and Binder to ride KTM in Moto2 next season. Glad to see someone other than Kalex in the championship... now if only they'd drop the spec engine.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/ktm-moto2-2017-binder-luthi-ajo/

With Honda leaving at the end of 2018, I hope they open up engine competition, but with rules similar to moto3:

1. engines must be a very specific spec
2. engines must be available to anyone that asks to buy one, and must be the same spec for all customers.
3. all engines must be the same (cheap) cost

Personally, I'd also like to see the spec changed to a 2-cylinder - 500cc. (Since motogp is 4-1000 and moto3 is 1-250) Not sure that will happen though.

This would create some interesting chassis/engine combinations. Manufacturers can enter whole bikes should they choose. Chassis manufacturers can still compete.

Last edited:
Some Moto2 stuff:

Forward Racing continuing with Marini and Baldasarri next season.

MarcVDS continuing with Marquez and Morbidelli. MarcVDS tried to get Baldasarri but the price was to high to break his contract with Forward.

Quartararo thinking of moving up to Pons Racing next season. He's not happy at Keifer/Leopard racing.

Fenati likely moving up to Moto2 with VR46. Initially thought to be using Speed Up chassis, looks like they will likely be using a Kalex after all. VR46 will only be a one bike effort in Moto2.

Moto3:

Bagnaia has offers from VR46, Ajo and Aspar. Ajo seems to be the favourite

Bastianini apparently asked for too much money from Ajo to ride for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom