New young rider - Any help is appreciated. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New young rider - Any help is appreciated.

Acrohypother

I've been on these forums for a few weeks lurking here and there and thought I should finally post.
I've been wanting a motorcycle since forever and can finally potentially have one, but what's slowing me down is the insurance.

Things to note:
City: Brampton
License: G and soon to be my M2 (which I will take a course for - MSF at Humber most likely)
I have been insured on a car for 3 years if that helps.
I'm looking to get a 250cc Ninja Kawasaki (Does the year of the bike matter? If so let's say I get an older bike, around 2009)
I've had my license suspended once for not paying 2 tickets (does this even count?).
The tickets were for using an electronic device as well as not having my license on me.

I'm willing to pay most (or all) of the money upfront for insurance if it's reasonable.
How much do you guys think it will cost me?I'm going to call and get a quote but wanted a rough estimate from you guys

PS: I read somewhere that if you have your license for a year, insurance is cheaper. Does this mean even if I get my M2 and don't ride, insurance will drop?
Please help with whatever you can and sorry for making this so long.

Thank you in advance! ♥

Last edited:
I think you may find insurance to be a bit higher than average due to age, experience and the suspension if it happened recently plus the fact you live in Brampton. Best thing to do is start calling brokers to get quotes. You may be happy with the quotes if you can afford to pay.

I don't think just having a year old M2 license without accomplishing motorcycle insurance will make Moto insurance cheaper.

PS: I read somewhere that if you have your license for a year, insurance is cheaper. Does this mean even if I get my M2 and don't ride, insurance will drop?
Please help with whatever you can and sorry for making this so long.

i think what others meant by having your license for a year means. yes having your license for a year AND also being insured with a bike for a year. if you have been insured with a bike, that means you have been getting experience riding. one of the question most insurance company would asked is "when first insured?".

i think what others meant by having your license for a year means. yes having your license for a year AND also being insured with a bike for a year. if you have been insured with a bike, that means you have been getting experience riding. one of the question most insurance company would asked is "when first insured?".

Try calling Hilda from Dalton Timmis. She gave me the best rate. I am doing my course on may 12 in Brampton. She gave me $1360 for a 2012 Ninja 250 (3RD Party). Assuming your history it will probably be close to 1800+ for full coverage. But try calling her. She is very nice. Let me know what price she gives you.

I'm not sure about now but in 2014, Desjardins had reasonable rates for 250cc's so you might want to try them. I hope both of your suspensions haven't been within the last 3 yrs because that will increase your rates drastically with every insurance co.

Best rate for me on a new 2015 CBR300RA was ~$1700/year with Dalton Timmis through Aviva. Full coverage, $1000 deductible. Like the others said, it's continuous insurance coverage that counts, not continuous license holding. Convictions on your record stay for 3 years, any tickets/suspensions in the last 3 years WILL show up on an abstract and will affect your rate. Good luck!

The 250 will help, older will help as well since you probably won't feel inclined to carry full coverage...liability only.

The suspensions may or may not hurt you - if they are for unpaid fines as you suggest they are much less of a deal vs a cancellation or suspension related to something like HTA172, DUI, etc. Both tickets are minors from an insurance standpoint but they don't look good on your record.

In the end, you have a lot going against you though - young, no experience, 2 tickets, 2 suspensions due to non payment....in the world of motorcycle insurance that's not painting a pretty picture for any insurer.

IMHO I'd call around BEFORE you lay out money for the MSC. Decide on a few bikes (note: small CC cruisers are typically cheaper vs small CC sport bikes) and call around asking for quotes based on theoretically being a full M2 licence holder along with the MSC completed. If the quotes are palatable, then proceed....if not, you won't be out the $500 for the MSC for a licence you're not actually going to be able to use.

Try calling Hilda from Dalton Timmis. She gave me the best rate. I am doing my course on may 12 in Brampton. She gave me $1360 for a 2012 Ninja 250 (3RD Party). Assuming your history it will probably be close to 1800+ for full coverage. But try calling her. She is very nice. Let me know what price she gives you.
Hello, I finally got a quote back for $2400 with full coverage and a little under $2000 without collision coverage! Sounds like you were right

Hello, I finally got a quote back for $2400 with full coverage and a little under $2000 without collision coverage! Sounds like you were right
This is about what I paid for a 2009 Ninja 250, at your age in mississauga.

Bramptons probably a little more expensive.
Drive Safe!!
BTW, Have a 2009 Ninja 250 for sale ;) Upgrading this year.

Back
Top Bottom