Movable Wheel Chock Ideas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Movable Wheel Chock Ideas?

BigEvilDoer

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to make movable wheel chocks?
Have 2 of the Princess Auto chocks for mounting to a board in the back of an F150 pick up truck bed. Not planning on using the horizontal arms as shown. There are 4 holes in the main base plate of the chock.

Both chocks need to be easily re/movable - sometimes I will be 1 bike in the bed, others times 2.
For when there's 1 bike, I want the bike in the middle of the bed, otherwise, one on each side.
I know I could have 1 bike on left or right side with only 1, but it's just a preference of mine to keep it centered.

Don't want to worry about nuts and bolts...

Thoughts?

Have you looked into Baxley wheel chocks? You can move them around easily and are very stable. Still have to use tie down tho.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

keep the horizonal bars, otherwise those chokes kind of fold up. Fasten a steel u channel to your board so you can slide the chocks back and forth, with the horizontal bars in the channel ,center or sides, use linch pins with clips to keep chocks from moving back and forth. Use a z bar to support the front edge the tire would roll over.

The function of a wheel chock is to keep the motorcycle secure.
Wouldn't making them easily removable sort of defeat the purpose of the chocks?
In order to keep the bike secure, the chocks have to be secure. Ones that are easily removable would defeat the function.
Perhaps you should approach transporting your bikes from a different direction.
For example, get rid of the chocks and secure them another way.

pitbull has a retaining system where you install a track and you then have multiple mounting points .

Thanks for the ideas...
Crankcall's thoughts are likely best option. I have the chocks, and don't want to spend more money i.e. pitbull system etc..

Likely end up going with mounting holes drilled into board, then go with 4 linch pins on each chock.

Statsman - the chock doesn't hold the bike on it's own without anything else -- there are straps of course.

You could also have 3 chocks bolted to the board so you don't have to have the pin/hole approach.

I've had thoughts on this before...

Just to confirm, the board holds the wheel chocks and presses forward against the front of the bed, rearwards on the bed wheel well humps, and side to side on the bed sides. This keeps the motorcycle front tire from moving around. The bikes are also strapped-down to the load hooks in the truck bed - to keep the whole bike secure (and the board/chocks).

Baxley or Baxley knock offs. I have the PA chock and it works quite well.

Same here i have Baxley on my trailer i just put two screws to hold it in place and strap it down with a little pressure. I'm happy since day one when i bought it at gpbikes.

You could also have 3 chocks bolted to the board so you don't have to have the pin/hole approach.

I've had thoughts on this before...

Just to confirm, the board holds the wheel chocks and presses forward against the front of the bed, rearwards on the bed wheel well humps, and side to side on the bed sides. This keeps the motorcycle front tire from moving around. The bikes are also strapped-down to the load hooks in the truck bed - to keep the whole bike secure (and the board/chocks).

You are correct FLSTC. That's exactly how I want to mount the chock. I simply don't want to go through the extra expense of buying a 3rd one.. kind of why I started this thread...
Typically, I put my ramps on either side of the bike when I only have 1 loaded up...

Princess Auto also sells EZ-Track. I'm using it for my trailer the same way. It is a mounting system that is movable and you can add tie down points and or remove hardware altogether. Best of all it's inexpensive. Have a look at it.

I would think about laying a 2x2x1/4 angle iron across the front of the bed then using "c" vise grips(with pads) to attach your chocks. Of course you'd use tie downs as well.

Princess Auto also sells EZ-Track. I'm using it for my trailer the same way. It is a mounting system that is movable and you can add tie down points and or remove hardware altogether. Best of all it's inexpensive. Have a look at it.

They also sell the single ez-track pieces - and there are chocks that mount to the ez-track. You could mount these single ez-track pieces in the right place in the bed, with re-inforcement underneath, then move the chocks easily. The single ez-track pieces are low-profile so wouldn't interfere with other loads once the chocks are removed and if the line up with the grooves of the bed, you may still have a 'flat' floor (i.e. ridges of the bed).

How about a rail that will be mounted to the bed, with 3 pre drilled locations for the chock to be installed on

How about a rail that will be mounted to the bed, with 3 pre drilled locations for the chock to be installed on

Basically exactly what I'm thinking, but onto a piece of wood that fits in the front section of the bed, resting against the front, sides and wheel.

Just looked at the EZ-track mount chocks, and those are the Pingel style, which aren't what I have.

Does anyone know if something along the lines of heavy duty Dzus fasteners are available? Simple insert and twist, and voila! Chock is mounted. This would be the absolutely ideal option.

*edit* Something like a Camloc fastener.

Last edited:
or you can use a clevis pin (available at Brafasco)

This thread got me thinking again about improving my setup. I think I'm going to try a few pronged tee nuts hammered up into the underside of my trailer deck (the board, in your case) and some thumbscrews into them through the chock from the top. Should be easier than messing with the ratchet and wrench.

Back
Top Bottom