FF versus 3/4 Helmets | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FF versus 3/4 Helmets

Full face (in good condition) is required on racetrack for a good reason.It's safer.I wear three lids.Open face Jitsie HT2 for trials competition,Convertible Scorpion for commuting on my Wing.And an Arai ff for longer touring.

Imho...3/4 lid is safe...ff is safer.

They hurt. The don't kill you.

Well duh.

While the impact of a bee at speed won't kill you an inexperienced rider may lose control of his ride reacting to an impact to the face. A rock or bird impact isn't likely to kill you either but could likewise lead to a loss of control and a crash.

Whatever. Still seems stupid to me to leave your face exposed so. YMMV.

Well duh.

While the impact of a bee at speed won't kill you an inexperienced rider may lose control of his ride reacting to an impact to the face. A rock or bird impact isn't likely to kill you either but could likewise lead to a loss of control and a crash.

If your bike has a large windshield like my wing,you rarely get hit with insects.Even with it adjusted down far enough that i can look over it.On a really hot summer day the heat from the 1800cc motor can cook ya.I'm atgatt about 99% of the time,but i like comfort too.

On the way back to work at lunch today (driving the car; it's raining...) a stone, perhaps the size of a "Tums" slammed into my windshield, right in front of my face. The first thing I thought to myself was "and that's why I wear a FF helmet." Even if the eyes are protected with glasses I would not want to take a rock like that anywhere on the face.

If you live in a place where they don't drop rock salt and sand on the road half the year, where dump trucks and the like aren't dropping mud and rocks and debris from their undercarriages at every little bump etc, maybe OF helmets make sense but... Every time I see a guy wearing one of those I SMH wondering what june-bugs or bees at 100kph feels like, let alone rocks and stones.

Try racing MX. You haven't lived until you've taken a golf ball sized rock to the goggle that was rifled from a 450. You'll take a few hundred more stones before the end of the first lap too.

I only ever wore full face helmets on the street but often rode with my visor up under 60km/h.

On the way back to work at lunch today (driving the car; it's raining...) a stone, perhaps the size of a "Tums" slammed into my windshield, right in front of my face. The first thing I thought to myself was "and that's why I wear a FF helmet."

You do understand there is full visor....I've been hit many times

3/4 or FF - if you visor is down you are protected from debris....visor up you can get nailed

Mag9_Sena_Titanium_00027__22618.1445708493.1280.1280.jpg

Your face is not "exposed" unless you want it to be.

and there be some cool visors

41qeZzfWEML._SY355_.jpg

I was surprised how colour neutral these were and really cut glare.

Last edited:
Try racing MX. You haven't lived until you've taken a golf ball sized rock to the goggle that was rifled from a 450. You'll take a few hundred more stones before the end of the first lap too.

I did, back in the early 80s. A number of the tracks that I rode back then were pretty rocky and stony and the roost from other bikes was no joke. This is why I wore googles & a facemask similar to what David Bailey is wearing here (1984):

David-Bailey-Gainsville-1984.jpg

I guess I subscribe to the whole ATGATT line of thinking and wearing what's effectively 3/4 of a helmet doesn't really align with that.

You do understand there is full visor....I've been hit many times

3/4 or FF - if you visor is down you are protected from debris....visor up you can get nailed

Mag9_Sena_Titanium_00027__22618.1445708493.1280.1280.jpg

Your face is not "exposed" unless you want it to be.

and there be some cool visors

41qeZzfWEML._SY355_.jpg

I was surprised how colour neutral these were and really cut glare.

You're missing 25% of the protection. How can you say there is no exposure?!?

Something you might not realize, until you witness it yourself is: if you fall and slide on your back feet first, your helmet, (without a chin bar,) may roll forward and pop off your head. Where the chin bar of a fullface helmet will stop its rotation when it hits your chest.

You can finish your slide with the back of your head scraping and bouncing on the tarmac.

i ride a cruiser and its FULL FACE 24/7 for me. Ive never seen a harley rider with a FF.

Another HD rider with a FF here. Infrequently though. Mostly 3/4 and sometimes 1/2.

One thing not mentioned here is the increase in vision for 3/4 and even more for 1/2, incuding hearing. Aids to situational awareness which is on the proactive side of safety (avoidance) vs the reactive side (protection).

Another HD rider with a FF here. Infrequently though. Mostly 3/4 and sometimes 1/2.

One thing not mentioned here is the increase in vision for 3/4 and even more for 1/2, incuding hearing. Aids to situational awareness which is on the proactive side of safety (avoidance) vs the reactive side (protection).

Around town with half helmet, having the vision and hearing benefits are great.

On the highway, the wind blast takes away hearing. End up with ear plugs or just wearing the FF.

I once got hit on my neck with a gravel. Felt like a bullet. On my face? No thanks . You have more nerves on your face than the back of your hands

I did, back in the early 80s. A number of the tracks that I rode back then were pretty rocky and stony and the roost from other bikes was no joke. This is why I wore googles & a facemask similar to what David Bailey is wearing here (1984):

David-Bailey-Gainsville-1984.jpg

I guess I subscribe to the whole ATGATT line of thinking and wearing what's effectively 3/4 of a helmet doesn't really align with that.

Oh man, the face mask! That's awesome.

1980 taking my nephew for a ride.I think the thing was called the "Iron Jaw".You had to drill a couple of holes in your open face bell and it was held in place with a pair of big knurled aluminum nuts.
XL250S_zpslytmeo1k.jpg

I have a modular but I ride in full face mode 99% of the time. The flip up is just for gas stops and quick pit stop drinks.

Riding a motorcycle is stupid from the onset from a risk perspective. The rest of the decisions made by the rider are apt to vary depending on their level of risk acceptance.

I'm not personally concerned about taking a bug in the face if I happen to not be wearing a FF. I won't die. It won't cause me to lose control of my bike, I know so because it's happened lots of times. Life will go on. No need to think of the children.

1980 taking my nephew for a ride.I think the thing was called the "Iron Jaw".You had to drill a couple of holes in your open face bell and it was held in place with a pair of big knurled aluminum nuts.
XL250S_zpslytmeo1k.jpg
Awesome picture! Reminded me instantly of riding on the back of my dad's 1979 dt400 2t. Good times.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Riding a motorcycle is stupid from the onset from a risk perspective. The rest of the decisions made by the rider are apt to vary depending on their level of risk acceptance.

Indeed it is risky which is why some people deliberately making it even riskier is so strange. As I said, YMMV. To each his own I suppose.

I'm not personally concerned about taking a bug in the face if I happen to not be wearing a FF. I won't die. It won't cause me to lose control of my bike, I know so because it's happened lots of times. Life will go on. No need to think of the children.

A bug? Sure, maybe not for an expert rider like yourself. Hope your stone-cold reactions are as expert when it comes to taking other debris off the cheek, from pop cans to nails and screws to pieces of exploded semi tire to fragments of asphalt from potholes to ...

Back
Top Bottom