20 Bay/ 88 Queens Quay Parking Notice | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

20 Bay/ 88 Queens Quay Parking Notice

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....cough....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

The City still (for now) allows free m/c parking on street. That can be pointed out in the City TV interview, but also note that street parking isn't an option since no spaces are available close by. Motorcycles currently park for free beside the ramp with no issues. Riders are just looking for a way to legalize and secure the status quo.

Negotiation strategy ... embarrass them into negotiating in a public forum ... be reasonable, but ask find a way to address their issues while allowing the status quo to remain ... settle on paying a token fee for the stickers, if necessary.

I agree with whoever said to gather all the riders, show up early, and take up one parallel spot per bike, and even go as far as paying for that day.

Two things. First of all, pedestrian traffic there is MINIMAL compared to other areas of downtown.

Second... There's enough space there for pedestrians to walk SAFELY.

What a waste! Everybody is trying to make the city less and less livable.

Or in this over-regulated litigious culture of ours ... simply paint a yellow line down the middle of the space, label the south side next to the building as "Pedestrian Walkway", and label the north side as "Motorcycle Parking Access". Put a sign up at the curb saying "motorcycle parking, tenants only, all others will be removed" + the usual "park at your own risk" legalese. Oxford could then issue stickers to tenants to identify their bikes. They could charge a token amount (since its outdoor parking), or promote themselves as good guys and give the stickers for free.

Corporate rear end covered. Revenue, if any, goes to Oxford not the green hornets. Plus the remaining walkway is still wider than any walkway requirements the City could insist on through Site Plan Agreements.

And it could be as simple as the company officials simply do not like motorcycles - say, enough douchebaggery witnessed that they simply don't want to be nice. Could very well be true.

But like it's been pointed out...all they need is an incident where a bike being ridden on a sidewalk/pathway involves a pedestrian, and it's all over.

It seems pretty clear to me. It is a pedestrian pathway. If the owners of the building turn a blind eye to bikes riding on it to get to the parking spots riders have created, and a pedestrian gets hit, guess who they sue?? Building owners are just being proactive so if a rider hits a pedestrian they can point out that they advised it was illegal to park there.

Yep, a couple of bikes would slide under the radar. More than a dozen and odds are one of them is a turkey who will eventually burnout/wheelie/stoppie into a pedestrian.

Yep, a couple of bikes would slide under the radar. More than a dozen and odds are one of them is a turkey who will eventually burnout/wheelie/stoppie into a pedestrian.
Totally agree, there must've been an incident for them to change their speech that drastically.

And yeah theyre will to install infrastructure (i'm talking contractors working for about 3-4 months) for free bicycle parking just 100m further down that same pathway, but wouldnt be willing to pay for paint?

As much as i understand that's it's not a moto parking area, there is definitely no space available for us. And if all these bikes TRY to park in individual parking spots even for a week, cars will get ****** as there won't be any spots available. They already had full house earlier this week with only cars in there, so imagine substracting another 25 spots...

Anyhow i guess i'll be trying to look into it with the fellow riders. Getting them involved is more difficult though

But let's put it in context. I worked for years at 22 Front St., with dozens of bikes parked across the street just like in the picture. There was never an incident of a pedestrian injured.

Now here at this location is even better: this is a semi-enclosed space and the pedestrians are the co-workers (managers, HR, etc). Who is going to do anything stupid here? So unlikely.

But let's put it in context. I worked for years at 22 Front St., with dozens of bikes parked across the street just like in the picture. There was never an incident of a pedestrian injured.

Now here at this location is even better: this is a semi-enclosed space and the pedestrians are the co-workers (managers, HR, etc). Who is going to do anything stupid here? So unlikely.
Although i love this area, i just wish there was street parking close. Like even 500m within the area, all the potential spots are "no standing" and are made for tour buses to stop.

Unlikely isn't impossible when moving vehicles are involved. Worked just down the road from you (King & Spadina-ish) for 18 years, so I knew the neighbourhood. While pedestrians were generally dumb as rocks when it came to self-preservation, motorists weren't far behind. At least one pedestrian killed, multiple serious injuries (that I knew of) over the years, some struck by motorcycles. Burnout/wheelie/stoppie was an exaggeration, but those collisions were not.

It seems pretty clear to me. It is a pedestrian pathway. If the owners of the building turn a blind eye to bikes riding on it to get to the parking spots riders have created, and a pedestrian gets hit, guess who they sue??

its all about the lawsuit in Nth America isnt it?

Ever wondered why NZrs came up with crazy things like Zorbing, Bungy Jumping etc etc. Its because we have The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) in NZ.. its pretty much like OHIP but more comprehensive. Note that you're even covered if you hurt yourself breaking into someone's house or something ;-)

From the FAQ:
http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/media-centre/frequently-asked-questions/index.htm
What does ‘no fault’ mean?

‘No fault’ means that no matter what you were doing when you were injured – whether your actions caused the injury, or were illegal or dangerous – you will be covered by us, so long as the injury falls within the parameters of ACC’s legislation.
Fault-based systems in other countries have often proven to be litigious and expensive. Long court battles for damages can quickly exhaust an injured person’s resources and can also be a strain on their health. Even if damages are awarded, the person being sued may not have the money to pay up.
With ACC, everyone in New Zealand is covered but they forgo their right to sue."

*But I understand, people can always take up a civil lawsuit but its not very common. Usually its to recover costs incurred for damage property etc rather than personal injury.

Anyway, back on track to this thread.. (and thoughts of heading back to NZ when I retire ;-)

Last edited:
As much as i understand that's it's not a moto parking area, there is definitely no space available for us. And if all these bikes TRY to park in individual parking spots even for a week, cars will get ****** as there won't be any spots available. They already had full house earlier this week with only cars in there, so imagine substracting another 25 spots...

Anyhow i guess i'll be trying to look into it with the fellow riders. Getting them involved is more difficult though

Are all spots in the underground reserved? Can you pay by the day? If they aren't reserved, get there early and take them, 1 bike each. Leave a sign on each bike saying "Oxford is removing the motorcycle parking along the north side of the building. If you want these car spaces back, please call Oxford Property Management at ..." or something to that effect. After 1 week of drivers not finding spaces, maybe Oxford may get the message.

How many bikes are there now. Can you leave notes on saddles setting up a meeting?

I bet the relatively tight confines of the bridge and building produce a nice echo when someone revs their bike with an uncorked exhaust. Must thrill the tenants at the lower levels of the building.

I bet the relatively tight confines of the bridge and building produce a nice echo when someone revs their bike with an uncorked exhaust. Must thrill the tenants at the lower levels of the building.
No tenants there, just offices owned by RBC...

@Face, actually thats something i wanted to do since the first nice day, flyering bikes, but that would involve keeping track of the plates to not spam people daily (and i couldn't find time as ive been pretty busy lately)

Every bike coming in early to consume the indoor paid parking with signs saying 'let us back under the offramp' sounds like a good strategy. But when one RBC VP can't find a spot, each rider will get personally tagged for this 'subversive' behaviour.

Every bike coming in early to consume the indoor paid parking with signs saying 'let us back under the offramp' sounds like a good strategy. But when one RBC VP can't find a spot, each rider will get personally tagged for this 'subversive' behaviour.
funny thing though is we would also be able to get in and out of the underground without paying, and also if you pay with credit card i think its a "ticketless process"

fak, everyone the parked there today got ticketed, they were serious!
the one day i call in sick lol

now i wont be able to reach all the riders. frak

Maybe if people had walked their bikes to park, instead of riding them along the sidewalk.
The same type of thing happened at the east side of CBC, when the RBC tower was about to be built.

Maybe if people had walked their bikes to park, instead of riding them along the sidewalk.
The same type of thing happened at the east side of CBC, when the RBC tower was about to be built.
So then they ended up parking to the west lol (at least the scooters if i remember well)

Back
Top Bottom