Any machinists that can help? Threaded handle bar. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any machinists that can help? Threaded handle bar.

Motorcycle Mike

I'm tired of using expander nuts when securing my handguards to my bike, and was thinking of using something like this:

22-1-400.jpg

However... that fastway bar end mounts won't work for my bars... it uses a 5/8 tap and 5/8 just falls into my bars... my ID is closer to 11/16.

Is there anyone here (or a shop you can recommend) that can:
1) Thread my bars
2) Machine an insert -- preferably out of steel so I can add some weight to the bars without using bar end weights
3) drill and tap the insert to accept a common sized bolt to secure to it... probably M8 or something.

How much would something like this cost?

I'd do it myself, but I doubt it is worth it to buy the taps and dies needed to do the job.

I run steel threaded inserts on my super moto to mount the hand guards to the bars. I found a size that required no drilling, just tap and insert

Do you know the exact ID of your bars? I have the tap that fits renthal handlebars, and the inserts are about $2 each
image_zpscfp8zfww.jpeg

image_zpspnbpz4dn.jpeg

Last edited:
What bike? I might have the adapters you want in stock... last time I looked they were less than $20 a pair. Just need to know what bike and what size mounting screw you want to use M6.. M8? They are black anodized aluminum from Rizoma, not that anyone will ever see them.

Edit: just re-read your post. You will still need to have threaded bars for this to work. I can get their adapters for the unthreaded ones but I'll have to look them up.

Last edited:
I'd like to do this to both my Vstrom and my DRZ... Vstrom currently has MSR steel bars, DRZ has stock bars.

Johnny, I have to measure again and get back to you. I am pretty sure I measured just a hair over 17mm... I think it was 17.09 on the caliper, so I figured an 11/16 tap (17.46mm) would be the closest one to work.

Those threaded inserts might serve my purpose. What size of bolt do they take though?

I'd like to do this to both my Vstrom and my DRZ... Vstrom currently has MSR steel bars, DRZ has stock bars.

Johnny, I have to measure again and get back to you. I am pretty sure I measured just a hair over 17mm... I think it was 17.09 on the caliper, so I figured an 11/16 tap (17.46mm) would be the closest one to work.

Those threaded inserts might serve my purpose. What size of bolt do they take though?

I'll get back to you when I get to my shop, I have 2 spare inserts to get the threat size and pitch I used. They make very many size combos in metric and sae though, I just picked the size that worked for me

The center bolt used to be 8mm, since I used an sae size it changed but was close enough I did not have to drill a new hole in the bar or the hand guards. Just bought a tap and new bolts, they were counter sink bolts so the hole was fairly large and took the sae bolt workout having to drill it out

Where do you get the threaded inserts?

Where do you get the threaded inserts?

Usually KBC tools they are just down the street from me and sell the individually. There is a minimum of $20-25 there though, but I normally go for more then one thing at a time so Im over that

There are many other suppliers but they dont always have the size you need in stock, or require you to buy a pack of 10 or more

Cool, thanks.

I'll visit them. The minimum order won't be an issue as it appears the tap will be around $20 anyway, so I'll get a tap and six inserts or so and see if I can make it work.

Usually KBC tools they are just down the street from me and sell the individually. There is a minimum of $20-25 there though, but I normally go for more then one thing at a time so Im over that

There are many other suppliers but they dont always have the size you need in stock, or require you to buy a pack of 10 or more

Cool, thanks.

I'll visit them. The minimum order won't be an issue as it appears the tap will be around $20 anyway, so I'll get a tap and six inserts or so and see if I can make it work.

I have the catalog here, so here this might help you figure out sizing before you go. This is for separate inserts, they also sell kits that come with the drill and tap, but they are really expensive. I put the size I used and the tap in the picture too

Usually for taps they have an expensive option, and an cheap offshore option, for minimal use I go the cheap route, especially when its a large tap like this they get really expensive
IMG_3403_zps2t7o3wju.jpg

Back
Top Bottom