Wind Mobile Opinions Wanted | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wind Mobile Opinions Wanted

My wife has been with Wind for coming up to 2 years.

My observations:

- It's not one of the big 3 carriers, and don't expect it to perform like one. If you 110% need fast data and perfect service ALL the time you won't be happy.
- Texting is reliable and since it's what she uses 90% of the time vs calls that's cool
- Phone calls sometimes are broken up because of too much traffic on their network. This seems to be improving.
- Data is hit and miss. I've done speedtests and seen great results, then tried to use it for something and found it slow...but it typically always works, just not particularly fast during peak usage times. Again, I would expect this to continue to improve as Shaw's money comes online and their network improves.
- The prices are unbeatable for what you get. We are on one of the old US unlimited plans because we travel a lot and being able to use her phone in the USA the exact same as we use it here (for 1/3 of what we were paying for just Canadian coverage with 6gigs of data before) is awesome - ironically it works WAY better in the USA. It preferentially seems to want to to roam on T-Mobile, but AT&T is also one of their roaming partners and I lock it to their network and get great service.

In the end, I would take someones earlier advice - buy a cheap unlocked handset, get a Wind SIM on a month to month (no contract) plan and try it out for a month BEFORE committing to taking your phone number over, etc. If it works for your needs at all the places you need it to, then call it good - move the phone number over and you're good to go. If not, you still have your existing plan to fall back on and no harm done - simply cancel the Wind plan.

I was with them for over a year. Unreliable network and horrible customer service ... Wind blows!

If you're a light user and travel a lot, they have a North America plan for $60 now.

Called the 'Everywhere $60' it includes 1GB of roaming data and 2400 minutes per month OUTSIDE of their home zones. Inside it's unlimited North American calling and 10GB of data. However usable that may be...

If you're a light user and travel a lot, they have a North America plan for $60 now.

Called the 'Everywhere $60' it includes 1GB of roaming data and 2400 minutes per month OUTSIDE of their home zones. Inside it's unlimited North American calling and 10GB of data. However usable that may be...
Sitting inside my home in mississauga right now, I have no service.

Wind blows donkey balls.

I tried out Wind a couple of years ago, for 3 phones, for wife, and 2 oldest kids, after a billing debacle with Rogers (long story). Work pays for my cell, with Bell.

I decided to go with Wind, primarily for the unlimited data sales pitch.

In my driveway, full bars on Wind Network. In my living room, the phones would switch to roaming.

I returned the phones the next day, after porting the numbers to Koodo. Which incidentally, has been trouble free. The only overage costs that I ever pay, is when the kids go over on their data. Their android phones notify them, and automatically turn off their data when they hit their cap. If they turn it back on, they know they are covering the costs of the overage that month.

Its my understanding that Wind uses a higher frequency signal, than the big 3. So it doesn't penetrate as well. But then again, from what I understand, Mobilicity uses the same frequency, without any penetration issues. So it could just be network design.

Anyway, I expect my cell phone to just work. If that costs a few extra dollars per month, so be it.

I tried out Wind a couple of years ago, for 3 phones, for wife, and 2 oldest kids, after a billing debacle with Rogers (long story). Work pays for my cell, with Bell.

I decided to go with Wind, primarily for the unlimited data sales pitch.

In my driveway, full bars on Wind Network. In my living room, the phones would switch to roaming.

I returned the phones the next day, after porting the numbers to Koodo. Which incidentally, has been trouble free. The only overage costs that I ever pay, is when the kids go over on their data. Their android phones notify them, and automatically turn off their data when they hit their cap. If they turn it back on, they know they are covering the costs of the overage that month.

Its my understanding that Wind uses a higher frequency signal, than the big 3. So it doesn't penetrate as well. But then again, from what I understand, Mobilicity uses the same frequency, without any penetration issues. So it could just be network design.

Anyway, I expect my cell phone to just work. If that costs a few extra dollars per month, so be it.

Mobilicity is owned by Rogers now, so they're no longer totally reliant on the 1700 MHz spectrum.

I will give you my experience with WIND. Take it for what it's worth. My main purpose for switching to WIND from Bell was because I wanted to have "unlimited data" to be able to stream music all day long at work. The "unlimited talk" was a nice perk, and at $50 for both, I was sold. This was May 2014, I signed up and got a Galaxy S5 through WIND.

I lived in Mississauga for a year on contract, and in Toronto (by the lake) for another year. So my experience is with both areas as well as working in Brampton and travel around Southern Ontario.

From day one, I was disappointed and by day 30 I was livid. I gave up a Bell corp plan to come to WIND and with recent changes, I can no longer go back to the same corp plan.

Outdoor call quality is a solid 4/10.

Indoor call quality is a solid 0.5/1000000. I cannot use this phone indoors AT ALL. I literally had to go into my backyard (mississauga) or on my balcony (Toronto) to make a call. Funny enough, when I called WIND to cancel within the first 15 days, my call took me over 45 mins to connect and properly chat with them, which then apparently voided the ability to cancel the contract.

Data is a solid 3/10. WIND is only a 4G network, and a horrible one at that. The WORST part of it all is having paid for an expensive phone which is LTE compliant, only to be restricted to a network which works on 4G and crawls along. Once I get a youtube video to finally load, it buffers after every few seconds. You can forget using data if you are indoors. I drive long distances to meetings, using google voice to text is a pain in the ***** as it runs on data and "connection could not be made". I can't explain to you how frustrating this is/was.

"Unlimited Data" - is not really unlimited at all. After the first 5GB, you are restricted to 256kb (dial up internet speeds). It's hardly enough to even check your email.

Price - 10/10. For $50 a month, it's hard to beat. A 5GB/unlimited talk package costs about $100+ from any of the big guys.

Overall, I have one more billing cycle that my tab is cleared. Then I am literally going to light this thing on fire and throw it into a WIND store. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER in my life use WIND again. EVER.
b3a.gif

Just my own (and current) experience with WIND mobile. In a few days I am happily signing a contract with Bell or Rogers for double the price and half the data. At least I can use the damn thing.
I always hear you complaining about Wind but I don't know why you don't just drop them. There's no contract & you can sell your Wind phone on Kijiji. Better than lose a couple hundred dollars than pulling your hair out.

I've been with Wind for 1yr now. I hardly use my phone, mainly to text, but my voice has been reliable whenever I needed it. Data has been reliable, if you haven't noticed my post count, then you know I'm posting from the wind network. I also moved during those time & my both homes had full bars. I assume once you're in a established neighbourhood you will get good reception. New neighbourhood probably not.

Good thing about Wind is my bill is consistent & I don't feel like I am being robbed. I presently have my bill on prepaid & I don't have to worry about overbilling. The only regret I have is not joining them sooner.

I always hear you complaining about Wind but I don't know why you don't just drop them. There's no contract & you can sell your Wind phone on Kijiji. Better than lose a couple hundred dollars than pulling your hair out.

I've been with Wind for 1yr now. I hardly use my phone, mainly to text, but my voice has been reliable whenever I needed it. Data has been reliable, if you haven't noticed my post count, then you know I'm posting from the wind network. I also moved during those time & my both homes had full bars. I assume once you're in a established neighbourhood you will get good reception. New neighbourhood probably not.

Good thing about Wind is my bill is consistent & I don't feel like I am being robbed. I presently have my bill on prepaid & I don't have to worry about overbilling. The only regret I have is not joining them sooner.

Good to hear of your experience,, glad I saw this thread however, was about to switch the wife to Wind, but no LTE? whats the point? who doesn't use data these days?

Koodo is looking to be our next best option...

Good to hear of your experience,, glad I saw this thread however, was about to switch the wife to Wind, but no LTE? whats the point? who doesn't use data these days?

Koodo is looking to be our next best option...
As was mentioned, you can buy a cheap phone & try it. No contract so if you don't like just say good bye. The thing about Wind is the billing is so simplistic & honest. A breath of fresh air from what I have been experiencing

Their network is 3G and I've got up to 5-10mbit on speed tests, but data service can slow down pretty dramatically during peak hours. That said, 5mbit over cellular is generally pretty decent - yeah, I've seen 150mbit on LTE but...I still ask myself....why? Unless you're watching 4K TV over your cellular connection these blistering speeds are really mostly a waste on a cellphone IMHO.

And like Rockerguy the one thing I like about Wind is the consistency in the bills - they are the same month after month after month.

One thing I would suggest is for people to go into their carrier settings and lock the handset to the Wind network though - this prevents the phone from roaming which can incur extra fees.

Last edited:
3.5G technically.

HSDPA+

It's fast enough to stream Jays and Raptors games live.

Not for everyone, especially if you're used to Big 3 coverage. But the bills as simple and straightforward.

I don't stream videos on my phone & bearly go over my data. I don't need anything faster

I don't stream videos on my phone & bearly go over my data. I don't need anything faster
And that explains my disdain with wind which I specifically articulated in my review post.

At the time I believed WIND was a good alternative to the big 3 for browsing/calling but I have not had a good experience. For 75% the price of my previous Bell bill I was willing to accept 75% of the service. But this is 40% of the service at best.

I switch out to virgin on the 9th as my tab balance is cleared on that day.

I maintain that purchasing a high end phone to go on a sub tier network is a stupid idea. If you buy a $100 phone, different story.

Like a good steak, if you want to enjoy your meal go to a steakhouse. If you are just looking to fill your belly, no frills will do. As someone accurately put, Wind is the no frills to the Longo's you're used to.

No wonder you love WIND.
I use my data for everything. Still hate the call quality indoors.

An update. I'm over on virgin now and Goddamn does it ever feel good getting off WIND mobile.

For anyone considering WIND do yourself a huge favor and read this article. It echos my experience.

http://alphabeatic.com/wind-mobile-switching/

If you're like RockerGuy who doesn't use data, or care about call quality, then go ahead with WIND. For that matter, just stick with your home phone as you don't need a smart phone at all ;)

Thank so much to everyone for their input. I still wish to upgrade my phone, but Virgin gave me the BS that I wouldn't be able to keep my current plan. Funny, be a customer for over 3 years and they want to treat you like a brand new customer. I may very well end up switching companies and being a new customer for real - at least I'll get the phone I want.

It's not urgent, though, so I'm fine as-is for now. I'll continue to keep an eye on what's out there for plans and promos.

Just go buy the phone you like?

I also can't get an upgrade on my current plan because all the people that don't understand phone subsidies screwed up how they work by getting the rules changed so I'd need to pay an extra $20/month or so to get one.

Back
Top Bottom