Wind Mobile Opinions Wanted | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wind Mobile Opinions Wanted

Jenerator

Older than dirt.
Site Supporter
Hey all,

I'm currently with Virgin (Bell) with no complaints about service (voice or data), and I have a 1 gb plan. Wind Mobile has a pretty good sounding promo on right now, and I was wondering if anyone on here is already with Wind, and what advice they might offer with regard to me making the switch-over.
http://www.windmobile.ca/40-bonus

I've already been told by one person that if I switched I'd regret it...but then again, that was the Virgin Mobile guy in the mall.

I appreciate your input...thanks.

Wind is okay if you stay in city. And if you dont mind losing reception in certain areas.

I'm downtown core, and my co-workers with wind don't get reception on the 23rd floor. Although you'd think there'd be less interference that high up.

So it's decent but you kinda get what you pay for ;)

Hey Jen,
A couple of my buddies are on Wind and say 'it's fine'.
I just cut my wife over to Wind. She says she has had a few dropped calls but she's only had the service for a few weeks now.
I wanted to give it a shot. If it really sucks i'll move her back onto something else.

I will give you my experience with WIND. Take it for what it's worth. My main purpose for switching to WIND from Bell was because I wanted to have "unlimited data" to be able to stream music all day long at work. The "unlimited talk" was a nice perk, and at $50 for both, I was sold. This was May 2014, I signed up and got a Galaxy S5 through WIND.

I lived in Mississauga for a year on contract, and in Toronto (by the lake) for another year. So my experience is with both areas as well as working in Brampton and travel around Southern Ontario.

From day one, I was disappointed and by day 30 I was livid. I gave up a Bell corp plan to come to WIND and with recent changes, I can no longer go back to the same corp plan.

Outdoor call quality is a solid 4/10.

Indoor call quality is a solid 0.5/1000000. I cannot use this phone indoors AT ALL. I literally had to go into my backyard (mississauga) or on my balcony (Toronto) to make a call. Funny enough, when I called WIND to cancel within the first 15 days, my call took me over 45 mins to connect and properly chat with them, which then apparently voided the ability to cancel the contract.

Data is a solid 3/10. WIND is only a 4G network, and a horrible one at that. The WORST part of it all is having paid for an expensive phone which is LTE compliant, only to be restricted to a network which works on 4G and crawls along. Once I get a youtube video to finally load, it buffers after every few seconds. You can forget using data if you are indoors. I drive long distances to meetings, using google voice to text is a pain in the ***** as it runs on data and "connection could not be made". I can't explain to you how frustrating this is/was.

"Unlimited Data" - is not really unlimited at all. After the first 5GB, you are restricted to 256kb (dial up internet speeds). It's hardly enough to even check your email.

Price - 10/10. For $50 a month, it's hard to beat. A 5GB/unlimited talk package costs about $100+ from any of the big guys.

Overall, I have one more billing cycle that my tab is cleared. Then I am literally going to light this thing on fire and throw it into a WIND store. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER in my life use WIND again. EVER.
b3a.gif

Just my own (and current) experience with WIND mobile. In a few days I am happily signing a contract with Bell or Rogers for double the price and half the data. At least I can use the damn thing.

You can get more for what you're paying at Virgin if you do some leg work through retentions. If you're happy with the service you have, and are OK with the price but want a little more, WIND is not the answer.

They are the No Frills to the Longo's you're used to.

Thanks, guys. For reference, my current plan with Virgin costs me $45/month plus tax ($50.85 total). I want to upgrade my phone, and if I do so with Virgin they'll boot me off this plan, forcing me to go with a more expensive one. Even if I buy a new phone and bring it to my Virgin account, same thing - any change I make, they boot me to another plan (which would be at least $75/month for what I have now), hence my curiosity with Wind.

I do also realize that to get the phone I want with Wind, paying it off via the tab will overall cost me more than what I'm paying now, so I guess it comes down to reliability, meaning I might as well stick with Virgin unless some other fantastic promo comes up somewhere else. :dontknow:

Last edited:
I work at Wind Mobile, this month I've activated a lot of the $40 and I haven't got any complaints. If you are concerned about wind away, we have a new plan for 45$ that gives you 2400 minutes on roaming so you won't be charged.

In terms of LTE we are hopeful that we may get it by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work at Wind Mobile, this month I've activated a lot of the $40 and I haven't got any complaints. If you are concerned about wind away, we have a new plan for 45$ that gives you 2400 minutes on roaming so you won't be charged.

Good to know. I'm really not concerned with the "away"/roaming side of things. I just want to have a reliable signal when I need it. Another thing...my dad is terminally ill so I'm probably not going to make any changes right now anyway.

Thanks, guys. For reference, my current plan with Virgin costs me $45/month plus tax ($50.85 total). I want to upgrade my phone, and if I do so with Virgin they'll boot me off this plan, forcing me to go with a more expensive one. Even if I buy a new phone and bring it to my Virgin account, same thing - any change I make, they boot me to another plan (which would be at least $75/month for what I have now), hence my curiosity with Wind.

I do also realize that to get the phone I want with Wind, paying it off via the tab will overall cost me more than what I'm paying now, so I guess it comes down to reliability, meaning I might as well stick with Virgin unless some other fantastic promo comes up somewhere else. :dontknow:

Same reason I'm sticking with Virgin. My $100/year plan is grandfathered.

If a new phone is all you want, you can buy most phones unlocked through Kijiji or 2nd-tier retailers. Just swap the SIM and away you go.

If a new phone is all you want, you can buy most phones unlocked through Kijiji or 2nd-tier retailers. Just swap the SIM and away you go.
@jenerator I was just going to say the same thing. They dgaf what phone you have. Don't tell them that you've switched. I did the same thing years ago with rogers. I had a special deal BlackBerry plan that was only available to blackberry customers. Well, when i got sick of my pos phone, I switched to a windows phone and didn't say squat to them.
I was gonna try wind. Don't think it's where I need it to be just yet.
You won't get your deal anywhere. Hold on to it for as long as you can imo.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I work at Wind Mobile, this month

They fed me that same bs line in 2014. WIND will not get LTE speeds anytime soon and when they do the rates will be on par with the big 3.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They [WIND] are the No Frills to the Longo's you're used to.

This is spot on. I wish I had known better.

This is tricky as the phone can still be blacklisted at a future date; all the original owner needs to do is not pay their bill and have a dispute or call it in later.. happens quite often.

They fed me that same bs line in 2014. WIND well not get LTE speeds anytime soon and when they do the rates will be on part with the big 3.

I'll admit, most likely they will increase pricing but we've been told that maybe we'll get LTE before the end of the year courtesy of shaw. I'm just giving my opinion, I was with wind before I started working there and I didn't have any problem even though I was living at the northern edge of Brampton,

***I'm not looking for sales***

I'll admit, most likely they will increase pricing but we've been told that maybe we'll get LTE before the end of the year courtesy of shaw. I'm just giving my opinion, I was with wind before I started working there and I didn't have any problem even though I was living at the northern edge of Brampton,

***I'm not looking for sales***
At what level in the organization do you work or from whom you heard this info? The partnership with shaw doesn't mean anything related to LTE. that might be in the plans but Its all hearsay which has been said for years.

At what level in the organization do you work or from whom you heard this info? The partnership with shaw doesn't mean anything related to LTE. that might be in the plans but Its all hearsay which has been said for years.

I'm at the bottom of the ladder, but the owner of the wind mobile that I work with has told us that so let's hope that it's true.

Apparently he's good friends with one of the sons of the head honcho

This is spot on. I wish I had known better.

This is tricky as the phone can still be blacklisted at a future date; all the original owner needs to do is not pay their bill and have a dispute or call it in later.. happens quite often.

Better off to buy one of the Blu or Acer phones brand new for ~$150 imo
They fed me that same bs line in 2014. WIND will not get LTE speeds anytime soon and when they do the rates will be on par with the big 3.

Probably the only argument right now in favour of switching to Wind. When the move to LTE happens, you will be grandfathered in on a $30/$40/$50 plan.

checkout Citiphone decent deal runs on Rogers
Google gave me nada on "citiphone".

Back
Top Bottom