Best upgrade to a vintage bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best upgrade to a vintage bike

Once again, I suck at this uploading pic thing as I seem to have a very hard time with getting the JPEG file small enough.

@OldSuzy pic doesn't work for me.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 113
Once again, I suck at this uploading pic thing as I seem to have a very hard time with getting the JPEG file small enough.
Email it to me. I'll post it.

Why stop at one? Just get both the high and low. And keep your OEM horn as well. When on sale at Princess Auto the Fiam horns are only $12 so not expensive. Add a $5 relay, some wire and you're good to go. It's all gong through a relay anyway, using the OEM horn as the trigger. The more dissonance you create the better it is.

My knowledge of electronics is really iffy. Do I need an extra relay? Couldn't I wire multiple horns in parallel to the existing relay? Is that a stupid question?

I just want to get rid of the embarrassing, nasal "meep meep" that comes out of my FJ. I'd be curious to hear the low tone by itself.

The wire to your meep meep horn is actually quite thin. Adding 2 extra electric horns, worth 5A each might burn the horn wire out. Keep your meep meep horn but extend the wire so after your OEM horn you use it as the trigger to the relay. The two extra electric horns, or an air horn will be powered straight from the battery, through the relay and therefore not risk burning out your horn wire.

The meep meep wire is only used as the on/off switch to allow battery power to go straight through to your dual electric horns. Hit the horn button, the OEM horn blows, this flows power and triggers the relay, which allows power to flow from the battery directly to the two extra horns, so they blow. Let go of the horn button, your OEM stops meeping, power is cut to the relay, which cuts power from your battery to the 2 extra horns, they stop honking. Your OEM horn will, of course sound the same, as you did not mod it, but the two electric horns, powered straight from the battery, will blow at full power. They will sound louder than if you powered them only with the horn wire.
attachment.php

Attachments

• basicrelay.jpg
    basicrelay.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Posting for @OldSuzy :
6f3fb539523c968ff6dcdeb27b5a6f3b.jpg

I did not realize how sleek they were. I was imagining a long metal/ plastic horn.
Keeping my eyes open for sales at Princess Auto.

Last edited:
Joe,
Low tone is on sale this weekend at Princess. $6.00 off, $12.99

Joe,
Low tone is on sale this weekend at Princess. $6.00 off, $12.99
Thanks. Will pick one up.

Those horns look pretty close to your pipes. You might want to drill another hole in the middle of the brackets and raise the horns up a tad.

Not as close as the picture makes it appear. That being said I can always loosen the bracket (silver bolt and bracket) and move them side ways a little bit to get them higher if they seem to be getting hot. You have to make sure the baffles are pointed slightly downward so not to get any water into the horns.

Whats the "vintage" got to do with a horn upgrade? I now have a 2010 Concorus and it came with the smallest wimpiest horn I have ever seen! Over the previous year I have purchased a hi and a lo FIMM Freeway blaster on sale at PA. On sale but not at the same time... few weeks apart. Had planed to install them on my 04 Connie but it lost a battle with a Nissan last fall. So this spring I opened the packages and mounted then to the same backet the wimpy factory horn used to be attached to. Wired in a relay and now I'm happy. Behind some guy the other day at a light and it goes green but he doesn't move (playing with cell or talking to a passanger pehaps)... tapped the new horn and... crap, I scared myself its so loud compared to the meep before. Oh BTW... driver waked up!

And yes PA has one of the FB on sale this week for I think $12.99

A stebel air horn was the first thing I bought when I started riding again in Canada. It's moved from 3 bikes over the years.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I took the air horns out of my car at one point. Fine for other vehicles to hear you but if a pedestrian walked into my path, they just froze, terrified, instead of getting out of the way. It's too much for them, LOL.

Hi guys, picked one up at princess auto today. I removed the horn and installed the new one with oem bracket. it sound good but would i have to worry about the existing wire?
thanks.

Hi guys, picked one up at princess auto today. I removed the horn and installed the new one with oem bracket. it sound good but would i have to worry about the existing wire?
thanks.

You'll probably be fine, but the new horn probably draws more current than the OEM horn. I prefer to use a relay as your new horn will be louder because power will come straight from the battery to the horn vs going through the thinner wires of your wiring harness. If you add a second horn or add your oem horn, for sure add a relay. Relays are really cheap to do. The relay and wiring costs no more than $5 extra, and virtually guarantees you will not fry your oem horn wire.

@TorontoBoy I know that you posted the relay diagram, thanks btw, but fyi when I get around to installing it, be prepared for A LOT of questions ☺

@TorontoBoy I know that you posted the relay diagram, thanks btw, but fyi when I get around to installing it, be prepared for A LOT of questions ☺

I'm ready when you are. A relay is actually very simple and nothing to sweat over. If you can ride a motorcycle, read traffic and not get killed, doing a relay will be child's play. Once you see how simple it is you'll scold yourself for waiting so long.

Back
Top Bottom