'15 1200GSA won't start | GTAMotorcycle.com

'15 1200GSA won't start

Krime

Site Supporter
After it's first storage over winter (5.5 months) my newish (10k) 1200 GSA won't start. I've tried a few attempts, had it plugged into a charger over the winter as well and the voltage reads 12.3v. Fuel stabilizer was added as well + all the proper storage prep.

Thinking it might be the fuel pump. I've tried many attempts. The bike sometimes fires up for a second but then just stalls out, otherwise it just keeps cranking over.

Being under warranty, I'll call BMW. Any recommendations on where to take it for a good service department? Budd's is the best I hear, but being out in Oakville I doubt BMW will send the bike that far (I'm in Aurora).

Too many electronic doodads on that bike to pick a cause over the internet, but for starters, nominal voltage on a fully charged lead-acid battery is 12.7-12.8V. 12.3 is on the low side (under 12.5V is low). Use the warranty if you got it, I say. Good luck.

Too many electronic doodads on that bike to pick a cause over the internet, but for starters, nominal voltage on a fully charged lead-acid battery is 12.7-12.8V. 12.3 is on the low side (under 12.5V is low). Use the warranty if you got it, I say. Good luck.

Thanks for the info regarding the battery. Hopefully that's it, although it is odd as there is combustion happening initially which I'd imagine takes the most voltage.

I'm hearing elsewhere that it may be a common fuel pump issue, which apparently Bmw is not covering if bikes are stored for long periods of time. Sounds ridiculous but I'll see what happens when I speak to the dealer.

I do recall the voltage last year at 14.3v. I'll try hooking it up to my PPS for a jump start to see if it takes.

I do recall the voltage last year at 14.3v. I'll try hooking it up to my PPS for a jump start to see if it takes.

14.3V while the bike is running would be fine. The voltages I gave are for a battery disconnected from the bike or with the key off and no parasitic losses.

Pulled it off the charger, turned on the ignition and watched the volts drop from 12.7 back down to 12.3 in a matter of seconds.

Tried boosting it with my PPS lithium booster and then a car battery and it still wouldn't take. Didn't even see an increase to the voltage.

Removed the battery and saw some battery acid residue was left behind:

i-4m27crq-XL.jpg

I'm taking the battery to the dealer to have it tested tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
If you want to be pulling plugs, you can check and see if they are fuel fouled. That is a possibility as well, based on the bike actually cranking over (esp with the batt boost) but not firing.

If you want to be pulling plugs, you can check and see if they are fuel fouled. That is a possibility as well, based on the bike actually cranking over (esp with the batt boost) but not firing.

The bike did fire up a couple times, it just stalled out right away. Then cranked but would fire up. When it does fire up its for a second at most.

Battery is reported to be good by the dealer. Time to tow a pretty much brand new bike into the shop.

Let us know how it works out, please. Good luck. ?

via Tapatalk

If your bike is turning over it shouldn't be a battery issue. My next course of action would be to replace the gas. When you put the stabilizer in it did you run the bike to make sure it got to the injectors? A good fuel test is to give it a shot of Quickstart. If it fires up, you know its a fuel related problem. The fact that it putters to life occasionally is a good sign, Fresh plugs and fuel would be my next solution. good luck.

Thinking about it. I'm thinking I'll check to see if there's a mouse nest or something in my filter... I've heard of this happening to a couple people.

If your bike is turning over it shouldn't be a battery issue. My next course of action would be to replace the gas. When you put the stabilizer in it did you run the bike to make sure it got to the injectors? A good fuel test is to give it a shot of Quickstart. If it fires up, you know its a fuel related problem. The fact that it putters to life occasionally is a good sign, Fresh plugs and fuel would be my next solution. good luck.

Yes, when I put the stabilizer I rode it for another 15-20 minutes. I stored my 2004 GSXR the same way, and it started up without issue... like it had for the last 12 years. Just the GS wouldn't. I've done the same storage technique for the last 15 years. In fact, I never use stabilizer in my '98 XT350 and it fires up every season. Because of this I'm pretty confident I can rule out the fuel... but the fuel pump maybe?

Yes I can hear it. I'm going to check the air filter tomorrow to see if a mouse made it a home for the winter.

No mouse messed with the filter. Do it myself options are very limited at this point.

Back
Top Bottom