M1 Insurnace? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Insurnace?

fyi, try learning curves next time (if you're gonna go thru the course again). My wife did RTI, i did my M1X with learning curves. Can't say enough about them, they were great. and they do free retesting (or maybe it was $50, i cant remember). I went with them for my M2X as well.

personally, the 'savings' from doing the course is BS, it didnt affect my rate at all, and its only valid for 2 yrs after you take it, so its not a permanent savings like age/experience is. if you ever go to another insurer like i did, they told me since it was 3 years ago they don't care if you took it or not.

I'd say just rent a bike and take the course at the MTO before you buy a bike. then, buy a ****** bike off kijiji so that you can bomb around on a beater for the season. this season on the streets will be full of teachable moments for you anyway. don't take the risk of wadding up a new bike.

fyi, try learning curves next time (if you're gonna go thru the course again). My wife did RTI, i did my M1X with learning curves. Can't say enough about them, they were great. and they do free retesting (or maybe it was $50, i cant remember). I went with them for my M2X as well.

personally, the 'savings' from doing the course is BS, it didnt affect my rate at all, and its only valid for 2 yrs after you take it, so its not a permanent savings like age/experience is. if you ever go to another insurer like i did, they told me since it was 3 years ago they don't care if you took it or not.

I'd say just rent a bike and take the course at the MTO before you buy a bike. then, buy a ****** bike off kijiji so that you can bomb around on a beater for the season. this season on the streets will be full of teachable moments for you anyway. don't take the risk of wadding up a new bike.

thanks, ill see what the rate is for the course(but if its 500, then i probably wont)

I just called them, they gave me 500, so ill go with the rent a bike and do the MTO test

Last edited:
The M1-M2 course is physically demanding, even in warm temperatures. I suspect that the cold temperature made it even harder on folks.

That being said, the test is the test and IMHO, it's a decent objective method of measuring the minimum rider skill acceptable to ride on the road.

Maybe you screwed yourself by trying this too early in the year? The advantage of the course is that they provide the bike. The disadvantage is that you have to pay.

One option not mentioned is an offroad course - you may be able to get some 'seat time', albeit also at a cost, but one option to cost out amongst your choices - www.smartadventures.ca

that actually looks pretty good

And id be willing to bet 100 cash that these guys^ would fail if they did it right now. (just because you have been riding for a season doesnt mean you can adequately perform slow speed maneuvers etc etc with success, while being judged on your riding, speed, positioning, foot placement etc)

Not saying what they taught me wasnt valuable, it definitely improved my riding, but if im gonna drop $500 again its gonna be on a bike and not on a parking lot cone maneuvers

hahaha i wasnt talking about you, i was talking about the chumps who were being ******-y(if thats a word?) without offering any recourse

Since I presume you include me in that...

Like you, I have better things to spend my cash on.

For the record, haven't failed yet during the four times I've been graded during the M.O.S.T. (2x M2, let license expire, 1 seasonal refresher, M2x class STARTS with it.)

We're not necessarily busting your balls, just trying to offer you their perspective. You'll do what you think is best.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also write off the course since through the college it's considered education? Am I right or am I right....lol

Actually, depending on the company insurance with M1 vs M2 may be the exact same thing. With TD MM, for example, they give you the exact same rate for M1 as if you had just gotten your M2. But they do give a discount when you hit 1 year mark on your M2, so there is that.

I'd say what you really need is practice, practice, and more practice. So I'd get a bike (that you are not worried about dropping, multiple times), and just keep doing the drills in a parking lot. Then take the MTO test. For safety's sake, I'd ask a friend to watch you while you practice, just in case you drop the bike in some bad way, get your leg pinned or anything like that.

If hypothetically that were to happen

well atleast they let you take the test again and again(unlike centennial) My mom failed the G2 like 4 times before she finally got it(the G she got on her first attempt)

Plus i can always keep practicing with a bike of my own(yes i know insurance is gonna be high with M1)

I also found a guy that gives people 1-on -1 training/coaching with his own rental bikes(and radio set up etc) and essentially guarantees a pass or he pays for your test

I have heard from several people that the MTO test is supposed to be cake compared to the course

I found several guys that let you use their bikes for rent for practice as well as the test

I was right at the finish line when they failed me at the course, and honestly if they let me take another retest id pass it no problem, but they'd rather i stood there for another 2 days, 500$ lighter

Not allowing you another retest is not a cash grab. When the MTO agreed to allow the Canada Safety Council the right to test and upgrade a riders license they imposed some conditions on the training facilities. One of which was a rider that fails the MOST test is allowed to retest only once. It is not the college rules it is MTO that imposed that rule on the training facilities.

And yes the MOST test that the Canada Safety council is required to do is more difficult than the MTO test and again the MTO required the training facilities to adopt a test that was held to a higher standard than what the MTO did. Hence the Canada Safety Council took the Motorcycle Operators Skills Test (MOST) from the United States and modified it slightly to satisfy the MTO to grant a License upgrade upon passing this test.

On a side note:

LOL so many people were dropping their bikes left and right, and they didnt even teach us one of the most essential skills....how to pick your bike up after you drop it...one of the MOST common things a beginner does and they didnt even think to include it...

Jesus you are so damned smart. I would have thought it so beginners don't hurt themselves trying to pick up the bike. Then they would be out a back AND the weekend course....but what do I know.

I watched a bit of the test the weekend, kind of glad some didn't pass. Really didn't seem ready for the road.

Jesus you are so damned smart. I would have thought it so beginners don't hurt themselves trying to pick up the bike. Then they would be out a back AND the weekend course....but what do I know.

I watched a bit of the test the weekend, kind of glad some didn't pass. Really didn't seem ready for the road.

im sorry wut? lol

Dont teach them how to pick up a bike? What about when they drop a goldwing? Gonna call CAA just to lift the bike back up?

Also nice name calling kid.
Next time dont reply while the adults are having a conversation

Name calling? I called you smart. You know all the answers.

Beginner safety course is not the right time to try and lift bikes. And no, I can pick up my own bike despite being a short ***. YouTube is where I'd look nowadays...but my dad taught me 25 years ago.

Adult? You blamed everything but yourself for failing, at least when I err I can "man" up to it, and I'm a girl.

Last edited:
03810e479a772978618661b1b58ec50e.jpg

Actually, depending on the company insurance with M1 vs M2 may be the exact same thing. With TD MM, for example, they give you the exact same rate for M1 as if you had just gotten your M2. But they do give a discount when you hit 1 year mark on your M2, so there is that.

I'd say what you really need is practice, practice, and more practice. So I'd get a bike (that you are not worried about dropping, multiple times), and just keep doing the drills in a parking lot. Then take the MTO test. For safety's sake, I'd ask a friend to watch you while you practice, just in case you drop the bike in some bad way, get your leg pinned or anything like that.

Agreed on the practice, i did call some more people and there really wasnt a huge difference($200/year?) between M1 and M2 insurance

Not allowing you another retest is not a cash grab. When the MTO agreed to allow the Canada Safety Council the right to test and upgrade a riders license they imposed some conditions on the training facilities. One of which was a rider that fails the MOST test is allowed to retest only once. It is not the college rules it is MTO that imposed that rule on the training facilities.

And yes the MOST test that the Canada Safety council is required to do is more difficult than the MTO test and again the MTO required the training facilities to adopt a test that was held to a higher standard than what the MTO did. Hence the Canada Safety Council took the Motorcycle Operators Skills Test (MOST) from the United States and modified it slightly to satisfy the MTO to grant a License upgrade upon passing this test.

This part baffles me, why would the MTO want the MOST to be much more difficult than the test they take?

Name calling? I called you smart. You know all the answers.

Beginner safety course is not the right time to try and lift bikes. And no, I can pick up my own bike despite being a short ***. YouTube is where I'd look nowadays...but my dad taught me 25 years ago.

Adult? You blamed everything but yourself for failing, at least when I err I can "man" up to it, and I'm a girl.

You mean you can pick up a bike? and *Gasp!* your a girl?!

congrats, have a cookie

Last edited:
Ofcourse, unfortunately id rather drop the 500 on the downpayment or something, iv seen the course, and what they teach and its easy to find an empty parking lot and use tennis balls to practice

And id be willing to bet 100 cash that these guys^ would fail if they did it right now. (just because you have been riding for a season doesnt mean you can adequately perform slow speed maneuvers etc etc with success, while being judged on your riding, speed, positioning, foot placement etc)

I think only 1 person out of our entire class(of 30) passed it with flying colors, and he had previously ridden(back home in india)

most of the people barely passed with the skin of their teeth, id say 5 people dropped their bikes, 1 person got into an 'accident' and decided not to return (he rear ended someone)

Not saying what they taught me wasnt valuable, it definitely improved my riding, but if im gonna drop $500 again its gonna be on a bike and not on a parking lot cone maneuvers

I'll take you up on that bet. Ez $100.

In the end, practice on where you made your mistakes. "Not following/listening to instructions properly" counts as a mistake.

Not going to comment on whether you should take the course again or go with the ministry as that is all your own personal choice. It seems you're starting to get the hang of handling the bike, but following instructions is just as important.

I decided to chime in because you mentioned putting that extra money saved by not taking the course for a down payment. It sounds like you're leaning towards financing a bike. If this were the route you're planning to take, be sure to call insurance companies for Full Coverage as that's what would be required from the bank to finance the bike.

Where is my ****ing cookie? I'll eat it looking over my license and insurance.

Where is my ****ing cookie? I'll eat it looking over my license and insurance.
You're effing killing it right now! Lol.

@Supernova12034, you asked for advice, and you are getting it. One day you will look back and be thankful to everyone here.
And I think I'm leaning more towards some 1 on 1 training, as your best bet.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

+100000

So it's not just me thinking this

I didn't get perfect on my test in 2011 and I was sure as **** to blame for it

Back
Top Bottom