hairline crack under oil plug - 1982 honda cm450e engine | GTAMotorcycle.com

hairline crack under oil plug - 1982 honda cm450e engine

havefun

Having one of those days. Over tightened the oil plug, heard a distinct crack. Just plain stupid on my part.

Took a look, everything looked fine. Added a bit of oil, and there is a distinct hairline crack, under the oil plug oil, for the length of the threads.

Can anyone recommend a welder that can take care of this? Without having to pull the motor.

Failing that, I guess I'll pull the engine and replace the lower crankcase. Assuming that I can find a replacement part. I think any of the 82 honda 450's used the same lower crankcase? Can anyone confirm?
Anyone know where to source a used 82 cm/cb 450 crankcase?

Thanks

I've been there... more than once, using some pretty small wrenches even.

I don't think any welder would even try to fix that on the bike. If they did, I'd think there'd be a non-zero chance of starting a fire inside the motor. If you do pull the lower crankcase (which unfortunately looks like more work than just yanking an oil pan) and clean it, someone out there could fix it.

Toss some jb weld on it and see what happens.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

This is a terrible solution unless you spend some time on prep. Sticking jb weld on the face is the weakest possible repair.
If you are going this route, I would drill the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, and groove the crack to give you more surface area for the jb weld to bond to.

Thanks for the find Bitzz. Will reach out.

However, wifey and my 21 year old daughter felt that the bike was too tall for them, so I decided to shelve it, for a future project.

They both wrote their M1's last week, MFC course in 2 weeks. So, this week there is a 2006 Yamaha Virago 250, and 2007 Suziki Marauder 250 in the garage. Got both for $3550 combined, different sellers. Both passed safety with zero issues, except for me being dumb, and forgetting to adjust the brake sensor on the Virago after moving the brake pedal, that was sitting way too high.

I figured I'd get them a twin, and a single. They can figure out which they prefer. Maybe next year, I'll swap out the one they like the least for something sporty, so they can get used to different bike types. There seem to be all kinds of Ninja 250, and Honda CBR250's for sale.

Can't afford to insure my daughter as primary rider on a third bike, as the first year insurance was almost as much the cost of the two bikes. Took some arm wrenching to get TD to accept her as secondary rider, with my wife as primary on the Virago. But been a customer with them (started with Primmum), for longer than I can remember.

So, the 3 of us, will be sharing two bikes, at least this year. Which is fine, as wifey, and daugter can ride during the day, while I'm at work.

I haven't decided if I actually "like" either one, but they are ok. Both wife, and daughter are short, 5'4", and wanted something they could sit on, flat footed, that didn't feel too heavy. So, Happy Wife & Daughter, happy life!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom