Road conditions - Northern Roads 2016 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Road conditions - Northern Roads 2016

I've heard mixed...some say it is fine, other say roads are very sandy. Very sandy reports were around the Lake Simcoe area.

Does anyone know about the conditions out near Lindsay/Omemee/Port Hope? Also the good old 507/Haliburton area?

Today I rode Upper Big Chute Rd (road 17), S Bay Rd and Honey Harbour Rd.

Upper Big Chute had a newly paved section and a section with really old pavement full of potholes. Some sand here and there nothing too bad. S Bay Rd was worse, some corners were covered in sand. Honey Harbour was nice and clean.

Probably gonna ride up around that area again tomorrow.

i just rode out to wasaga today and all around alliston, ya theres a bit of sand but i dont think it really slowed me down much at all.
lots of bikes out today, i think i prob did about 200km (distance...not speed)

Today I rode Upper Big Chute Rd (road 17), S Bay Rd and Honey Harbour Rd.

Upper Big Chute had a newly paved section and a section with really old pavement full of potholes. Some sand here and there nothing too bad. S Bay Rd was worse, some corners were covered in sand. Honey Harbour was nice and clean.

Probably gonna ride up around that area again tomorrow.

Is South Bay Rd paved again, or is it still just tar & chip?

South Bay RD was in great shape last fall. It had been recently resurfaced and may actually be asphalt.

Would be a nice road if it was a bit longer but hopefully once they complete Big CHUTE it will be a nice loop.

Last edited:
I've heard mixed...some say it is fine, other say roads are very sandy. Very sandy reports were around the Lake Simcoe area.

Does anyone know about the conditions out near Lindsay/Omemee/Port Hope? Also the good old 507/Haliburton area?

I was up there for a spin in Omemee and Bethany all roads they were nice and clean;)

I was up there for a spin in Omemee and Bethany all roads they were nice and clean;)

Wondering if that will still be the case now...we are getting some good rain near the 401 corridor, but a quick look shows freezing rain & snow in Lindsay/Omemee right now...and snow up in Haliburton....

Wondering if that will still be the case now...we are getting some good rain near the 401 corridor, but a quick look shows freezing rain & snow in Lindsay/Omemee right now...and snow up in Haliburton....

Hmm...well as long the temperature it's not minus should be ok, i mean no salt/sand application.

I don't know what tar & chip means. It was a hard surface, not gravel.

It just occurred to me I should probably have explained - tar & chip is a minimum effort type of road surface, very marginally better than just gravel. It is basically spraying a surface with tar and then spreading gravel on top of it. It has grown in popularity because it is way cheaper than actually paving, and it degrades slower than just gravel.

Been a few years since I've been to ELR, is the surface as badly fallen away to the right hand side as it was say 5 years ago?

It just occurred to me I should probably have explained - tar & chip is a minimum effort type of road surface, very marginally better than just gravel. It is basically spraying a surface with tar and then spreading gravel on top of it. It has grown in popularity because it is way cheaper than actually paving, and it degrades slower than just gravel.

yep, good description. We use this a lot downunder. Here's a Wiki definition of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

Hmm...well as long the temperature it's not minus should be ok, i mean no salt/sand application.

Depends...some minor snow that might stick normally isn't met with force...but freezing rain for a weekday morning commute...I'd assume they'd be out there treating (messing up) the roads again. Hoping I am wrong though.

Depends...some minor snow that might stick normally isn't met with force...but freezing rain for a weekday morning commute...I'd assume they'd be out there treating (messing up) the roads again. Hoping I am wrong though.
Nothing happended let's go ride soon:D

Can anyone confirm Southwood will be open on may 15?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Can anyone confirm Southwood will be open on may 15?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Will still be a sandtrap then, based on previous years...

Still some sand and gravel in spots near Calabogie. Snow in the shade, under some of the trees. Not bad once the sun gets out.

Back
Top Bottom