Road conditions - Northern Roads 2016 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Road conditions - Northern Roads 2016

That's fine I'll be in the car. Just need to know if it's open because I'm doing a group drive.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Hmm would you and your group be apposed to mounting brooms on your back bumpers? Sort of like a zamboni..... lol

Anyone been on Upper Big Chute lately. Last year in the spring it was undergoing a big reno, like lane widening and maybe straightening or something. Has that work finished up?

Anyone been on Upper Big Chute lately. Last year in the spring it was undergoing a big reno, like lane widening and maybe straightening or something. Has that work finished up?

I thought someone posted in another thread that it was resealed?

Muskoka roads update:
Upper Big Chute - Avoid it - there was a about 1-2km of gravel in different sections and they are doing road work on it. There was a large section of it from last year that had the trees cleared on the sides, but they have yet to do that section of road work, so it will be a while before it's any good.
Mortimer Point Rd - a little sandy/dirty with the bumps and frost heaves getting worse each year
Peninsula Rd 7/632 - great shape
Tally Ho/Swords Rd - great shape
518 - pretty good shape - a little sandy in the corners, but still an enjoyable run - worth doing it.
Ravenscliffe Rd - a little sandy in the corners and on the straights, but still good enough to pick a tire track and have fun.
Muskoka Rd 3 - excellent
141 - excellent
Brackenrig Rd - excellent
Muskoka Beach Rd - pretty good - very little sand/gravel
Housey Rapids/Coopers Falls - pretty good with a bit or gravel/sand in the corners.

FYI, just did a run and can report the following roads were clear:

- 7A
- Mount Horeb
- Ski Hill Road

Was going to ride Lakeshore Rd from Port Hope to Newscastle, but decided not to chance it (given it tends to be sandy longer than the rest).

FYI, just did a run and can report the following roads were clear:

- 7A
- Mount Horeb
- Ski Hill Road

Was going to ride Lakeshore Rd from Port Hope to Newscastle, but decided not to chance it (given it tends to be sandy longer than the rest).
Yes, Lakeshore was quite Sandy last weekend.
Also lot more. Cyclists and dog Walker's on there.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Haliburton roads update from today :
504/620 - pretty good shape - the 504 had sand in the tighter corners while the 620 was excellent.
Lower Faraday - really good shape with barely any sand/gravel
Elephant Lake Rd - really good shape
Loop Rd - Awesome
Essonville Line - sandy in the tight corners, but still good fun
Harburn Road - pretty good - the northern 5km was still a bit messy, but well worth the trip
Haliburton Lake Rd - great shape
Kenesis Lake Rd - amazing condition for the first 15km - a bit sandy up to Watts Trail
Watts Trail - a total sandbox - wait until September.
Kushog Lake Rd - pretty sandy - wait until July
Horseshoe Lake Rd - nice shape - stop at the rapids for a break - awesome spot.
Deep Bay Rd - great shape

shane covered most of the muskoka roads, only additional I have are:
38 from hwy 400 to bala is in good shape
hwy 2 going south from huntsville has some construction, there are a few very short gravel sections
hwy 117 from hwy 2 to bracecbridge is nice and clean

518 - pretty good shape - a little sandy in the corners, but still an enjoyable run - worth doing it.
518 really is a great technical road. Other highways in the muskokas like 124, 141, etc have long fast sweepers but on 518 the curves are much sharper and there is much more of them so it's a really good road to practice riding. Almost no traffic too. I just took it from parry sound to hwy 11 and it was in good shape, one of the corners was completely covered in sand but you could see it well in advance.

Some of these are probably already listed, but as of the May long weekend, the following were in very good shape:

- Northeys Bay Road
- River Road

Some north north updates:
- Hwy 129 between Thessalon and Hwy 556 junction is in good shape. Some sand at the junction, but everywhere else is good.
- Hwy 556 between Searchmont and SSM is in good shape.
- Ranger Lake Road (Hwy 556) was recently graded. Mostly in good shape, with some areas of deep gravel.
- Hwy 6 between Espanola and Little Current is in good shape.

Rode from Orillia area on the 13 going through some of the badlands...it was horrible all over

Potholes everwhere, flagrant traps of sand and gravel too... i was riding with a car and even they found it dangerous.

If i hadn't had any previous dirt experience i wouldve probably panicked the 10 times i wasnt able to avoid the gravel/sand on the corners.
Honestly it would be beautiful otherwise.

The 169 (for port carling) was awesome pavement is very even, saw a bunch of other bikes on it too in the opposite direction :)

Forgot to add a few of the guys went to scout out Dyno Road too and said it was still pretty sandy...so probably a while on that one.

I did a ride up north this weekend & the dragonflies there was terrible. I was on monck rd & I couldn't avoid them at all. They were like locusts. Be careful if you're heading north.

325f2764f385018cf38ee8597753241e.jpg

a39e820ca4a211b02afd66f350eb4e7b.jpg

I was just up in Port Loring last week, 522 was in very nice condition with lots of new pavement from 11 over but the other direction over to 69 is pretty rough like a lot of northern roads. Still paved but bumpy and rough.

Back
Top Bottom