Colour wine? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Colour wine?

inreb

Site Supporter
Let's say hypothetically you're going to a musical performance and gathering at a residence where a spread of buns/cold cuts/possibly cheeses (not Cheezies) will be on offer what is the right colour wine to bring? I hope this question doesn't betray my lack of social graces but if it does bite me. Other tips appreciated as well.

That's a tip
and-thats-just-the-tip-of-the-iceberg.jpg

Otherwise, both kinds of wine can work...hell Rosé can work great as well.

I personally go more towards the red wines...as i hate white wine with a passion, so it might depend on the audience. Just go look for wines that go well with cheeses (labels often times help)

I could suggest names but it may or may not fit with the type of cheese

@inreb, I know that you want to bring a White Zinfandel. Do NOT bring a White Zinfandel.
I also think any red should suffice. In a gift bag, or the bottle alone. Not in the brown LCBO bag.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Red, doesnt need chilled. May i suggest a niagara product? supporting Canadian agriculture is always in style. If its to add to the buffet spend $20, if its a hostess gift spend $30.

Dont show up with Chilean $8.65 red, nobody wants to be that guy.

LOL, that's awesome. ^

I do not recommend bringing wine already in a box. The gift quotient is high but the class factor low.

If the origins of cheese are European, red and recommended. If North American, then white is hip.

Depends on what kind of impression you are trying to make.

There are some nice ice wine you can bring and really make an entrance.

Or just bring a bottle of scotch and horde all the cheese to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red, doesnt need chilled. May i suggest a niagara product? supporting Canadian agriculture is always in style. If its to add to the buffet spend $20, if its a hostess gift spend $30.

and if youre buying local, on my last wine tour i found that the Vieni wineries had some of the best ones of the tour.

How about Pinot Gregio?

As recommended above, get a Niagara red. I'd recommend something by Tawse (big fan of their Cab Franc), Flat Rock (Pinot Noir) or Coyote's Run (Cab/Merlot.)

We're gonna get you laid.

Show them you mean business. Hochtaler

Both white and red wine will do well.

The strength of Ontario wines is white wines, it isn't a warm enough climate to easily do red wine well. This is not absolute, mind you, just saying it is a lot easier to find a great tasting white ON wine than a red one. I've visited ON vineyards over a hundred times over the years, still do. I have my favorites, but it can change from year to year, especially so for red wine options. But if you do find a good ON red wine, embrace and share it, people will dig it.

So if going red, I'd suggest a non-canadian one unless you know a good canadian red wine.

Last edited:
One of my moms friends, hes 80 now, was part of the design team that brought baby duck to the market. The consumer market was all done with hard liqour in the lower middle class and beer was for truck drivers. The Canadian wine market was undeveloped and had no 'taste' for European product. Baby Duck was a perfect bridge product and may still be the best selling canadian wine of all time. It was crap, but marketing genius crap.

pfffftttttttt Good wine doesn't always correspond with price. Lots of good options in the $10-20 range that can challenge a $50 Amarone.

I realize I'm way late on this, but Valpolicella Ripasso (red, Italian) is the fakking bomb; I have yet to try a one that isn't good, and I don't even really like wine LOL. Also, Cabernet Sauvignon is pretty universal - buy that if you're not too sure about pairing.

Lastly, don't over think pairing wines. Its EXTREMELY subjective; people that invent pairings are just trying to be elitist snobs.

One of my moms friends, hes 80 now, was part of the design team that brought baby duck to the market. The consumer market was all done with hard liqour in the lower middle class and beer was for truck drivers. The Canadian wine market was undeveloped and had no 'taste' for European product. Baby Duck was a perfect bridge product and may still be the best selling canadian wine of all time. It was crap, but marketing genius crap.

It was cheesie wine, perfect for strapping to the skis on the roof rack so it would be chilled by the time you hit Blue Mountain. And best of all, it came in industrial-size Magnums. OP mentioned something about cheesies, so cheesie wine should work well with that.

Red french rabbit. Classy (french) and the tetra pack doesn't break when you stumble out of the hot tub. In case it backfires you can always revert to the environmental packaging excuse.
I highly recommend the black pepper triscuits for the cheese.

pfffftttttttt Good wine doesn't always correspond with price. Lots of good options in the $10-20 range that can challenge a $50 Amarone.

I realize I'm way late on this, but Valpolicella Ripasso (red, Italian) is the fakking bomb; I have yet to try a one that isn't good, and I don't even really like wine LOL. Also, Cabernet Sauvignon is pretty universal - buy that if you're not too sure about pairing.

Lastly, don't over think pairing wines. Its EXTREMELY subjective; people that invent pairings are just trying to be elitist snobs.

Your over your head and lacking in social graces.

Back
Top Bottom