97' gsxr 750 swingarm play | GTAMotorcycle.com

97' gsxr 750 swingarm play

stevewag

Anyone out there know the allowable side to side play on a 1997 gsxr 750 swingarm? Mine seems to have a very little movement side to side, maybe a mm or 2 but enough that I hear a little knock when moving by hand (no noise when riding) and the drive chain will slacken a mm or 2 when I move it left. I always thought there should be zero free play, am I wrong on that? I have been chasing a front end vibration on braking problem for a year, have replaced everything in the front end and had it looked at by 2 reputable shops in the area and they can't find anything wrong with the front. I figured before I spent anymore money I better look at the rear of the bike. It handles awsome and had it on the track 4 times last year no chicken strips on the rear tire. Would linkage or swingarm bearing problem cause a vibration in the front end?

thanks, steve

There should be no side to side play in your swing arm bearings. While you have it apart make sure to replace linkage and shock bearings/bushings as applicable, since you are already that deep.

is there any way that small movement could be the cause of front end vibration?

There is a chance, but there is no way to gather enough information to be 100% sure through the internet. The simplest way to think of this is: you have a handling concern, and you have found a problem but you are not sure if it's the direct cause... Fix the problem you know about and then move on if necessary. I am not convinced that this is your only problem, but it is definitely a problem that should be remedied.

that was my initial thought too, but am cheap as hell and didn't want to spend the money without someone elses input. I guess I'm doing some bearings. Will update when that is done.

Back
Top Bottom