When did you move up? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did you move up?

As a new rider, just adding my 2 cents... I commute daily on my cbr300 and have never had a moment where I needed more power. More than enough juice to whip through traffic and get where I need to go. I'm usually on either 50kph roads or 80kph roads, the fastest I'll need to go is 110 to pass someone. I'll admit I'm not that comfortable on the highway, but it's not a lack of power, it's a lack of stability from being so lightweight. Or maybe all sport bikes get tossed around a bit on the highway? I don't know.

Release the bars, stability should improve.

For you 20 something guys, beat the insurance companies at their own game. For the first five years ride a supermoto. Even better, one of the rare supermotos like Husqrvana. Dirt cheap on insurance, and so much fun. Throw a windbreak shield on it if you're commuting so you're not getting punched in the chest. All this while, you're getting your M (easy on a supermoto) and building your time insured without lapse. After five years now with your M, and riding a supermoto, you will have saved all those thousands you would have paid the insurance companies and buy yourself a brand new 600 supersport as your reward for holding out and not giving these thieves ridiculous amounts of money. With your M and five years without insurance lapse (never miss a payment), you'll be getting the same rates as older guys that have driven supersports forever. The more off the wall supermoto, the cheaper it will be. Think rare. That's how insurance works.

I was really interested by this claim so I got some insurance quotes on a half dozen Husqrvanas from a few different years, all between 350-510cc or around there.
All my quotes were around $2500-3300. Most were more than I pay for my fz6.

Maybe Im not trying rare enough models? Give me an example of a rare model and I'll see what my quote for it would be.

I was really interested by this claim so I got some insurance quotes on a half dozen Husqrvanas from a few different years, all between 350-510cc or around there.

Maybe Im not trying rare enough models? Give me an example of a rare model and I'll see what my quote for it would be.
What does your driver's abstract look like? What would they charge you for a basic DRZ 400?

What does your driver's abstract look like? What would they charge you for a basic DRZ 400?

$2300 a year. Not bad. More than I paid for my 250r tho.
I have a perfect driving record, never had a ticket, accident, or submitted any claims. 6 years of continuous car insurance coverage and 1 year of continuous motorcycle coverage. 22 years old.

I have a perfect driving record, never had a ticket, accident, or submitted any claims. 6 years of continuous car insurance coverage and 1 year of continuous motorcycle coverage. 22 years old.
Crazy. What's going to happen is kids are going to say F insurance altogether.

Crazy. What's going to happen is kids are going to say F insurance altogether.

Its true.
I have a lot of friends that ride/drive without insurance. And others that use fake insurance. For $100 you can get a guy with a nice printer to print you a real looking insurance slip. I even had a friend that got taken down to the station with a fake insurance slip, and even at the station nobody could prove it was fake. The cops kept trying to call the number on the insurance card to verify but of course nobody picked up, so they had to let him go.

Its really tempting to do the same thing, but I'm thinking long-term. I want to ride for years and years and not just a couple years until I get caught and then thats it.
Plus whats a couple grand. We're young, we have lots of time to make more money. I spend more on beer in 3 months than I do for a year of insurance.

EDIT: btw, I did have a friend that was pulled over with no insurance, not even a fake one, and it was a $5000 fine. That was a couple years ago and he's still paying it off, and his licence is still suspended.

Last edited:
Honda Grom?

As a new rider, just adding my 2 cents... I commute daily on my cbr300 and have never had a moment where I needed more power. More than enough juice to whip through traffic and get where I need to go. I'm usually on either 50kph roads or 80kph roads, the fastest I'll need to go is 110 to pass someone. I'll admit I'm not that comfortable on the highway, but it's not a lack of power, it's a lack of stability from being so lightweight. Or maybe all sport bikes get tossed around a bit on the highway? I don't know.

I think the CBR300R makes about 20% more power or something (can't recall the Honda marketing) than the older CBR250RA I had. As for the wind, some bikes are better than others, but on the 250 I found if you were very light on the bars, she would lean but still track perfectly in the wind. If you are getting blown around, try gripping tighter with your legs on the tank and loosening up on the bars and see if that helps.

The more off the wall supermoto, the cheaper it will be. Think rare. That's how insurance works.
Hi ho, long time lurker. I'm looking to move up myself. M2 for less than one year on a Ninja 250, 26 years old. I haven't bothered to start digging yet because I want to get at least one year of riding down first, but out of curiosity I started punching in the numbers to TD's Meloche Monnex website which got me the following.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07, $3450
2015 Kawasaki 650, $3450
2015 Triumph Street Triple, $1400?!??!?!

Obviously there's some kind of error there being an online quote, but is the Triumph really going to be much cheaper to insure? That insurance quote would offset the increased MSRP and the maintenance costs. Is it because it's a rarer bike, or do they consider those 2 bikes super sports? I hear rumours of similar insurance issues when it comes to Honda Civics due to their popularity.

Last edited:
Hi ho, long time lurker. I'm looking to move up myself. M2 for less than one year on a Ninja 250, 26 years old. I haven't bothered to start digging yet because I want to get at least one year of riding down first, but out of curiosity I started punching in the numbers to TD's Meloche Monnex website which got me the following.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07, $3450
2015 Kawasaki 650, $3450
2015 Triumph Street Triple, $1400?!??!?!

Obviously there's some kind of error there being an online quote, but is the Triumph really going to be much cheaper to insure? That insurance quote would offset the increased MSRP and the maintenance costs. Is it because it's a rarer bike, or do they consider those 2 bikes super sports? I hear rumours of similar insurance issues when it comes to Honda Civics due to their popularity.
Yes, as I wrote. Say there are two thousand R6's in the GTA... the insurance companies will have stats on them as their database grows. So many will be stolen, so many will be crashed... from there they develop their algorithm. Yet in the GTA, there will only be a hundred or so Triumph Triples or Daytonas floating around. Less accidents, less thefts, less information = no real stats = much cheaper rates. Triumph's are great bikes too. An example of this is action is an HP4 S1000RR being cheaper to insure than the regular S1000RR. It is.

God. Coming from $750 for the Ninja 250 at SF (pre-Desjardins), that's quite disgusting. Looks like I'm shopping for a Triumph next year. Never would have figured that would be the prudent choice.

Terrible advice.

Wow are you uninformed. Please continue comparing your bikes HP at the crank against other bikes HP at the wheels.

FZ6 S2 07-09 is 98hp "at the crank".
FZ6R is 78hp at the crank.

If you are going to prop your bike up continually againt a lesser machine the least you can do is have the proper information.

My bad. I just quickly googled fz6r horsepower and used the first one that came up.
Pretty sure all the points I made are still valid tho.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Is that because they spend more time in the shop then on the road? Low risk an all ;)

Its true.
I have a lot of friends that ride/drive without insurance. And others that use fake insurance. For $100 you can get a guy with a nice printer to print you a real looking insurance slip. I even had a friend that got taken down to the station with a fake insurance slip, and even at the station nobody could prove it was fake. The cops kept trying to call the number on the insurance card to verify but of course nobody picked up, so they had to let him go.

Its really tempting to do the same thing, but I'm thinking long-term. I want to ride for years and years and not just a couple years until I get caught and then thats it.
Plus whats a couple grand. We're young, we have lots of time to make more money. I spend more on beer in 3 months than I do for a year of insurance.

EDIT: btw, I did have a friend that was pulled over with no insurance, not even a fake one, and it was a $5000 fine. That was a couple years ago and he's still paying it off, and his licence is still suspended.

I thought you two seem familiar.

It's funny watching someone on a 250cc bike whip around those on a 600SS.
For those on smaller cc bikes, refine your skills. I laugh at the morons on 600SS that get left behind once the corners approach.
Any idiot can grab the throttle and hold it open on a straight line.

Finally getting my PR4s put on this weekend to replace the 10 year old bridgestone rear tire and the 6 year old bridgestone front tire.
Really excited to ride past 120kmh without worrying about my tire bursting.

facepalm_227789.jpg

This....

油井緋色;2400279 said:
Really? Two newbies telling a newer rider what to do.

OP, invest in yourself through a riding school. Stick with your 300 and take Racer5's Stage 1-3. It will open your eyes to

A. How much you suck at riding
B. Make you respect your 300 a lot more and realize it is capable of things you can't do (yet)
C. Might make you second guess buying a bigger bike

Or you might just go bonkers and want a bigger bike for ***** and giggles but regardless with the skills you develop through any track course you will be out-riding all the other guys on SSs easily. It's absolutely hilarious catching up to 600s/1000s on a 125/250/300.

The money you spend on insurance is wasted money that could be better invested in developing yourself as rider; you will take those skills and continue improving them for the rest of your life.

I moved up after having my GS500F for 2 seasons. First day I got my GSX-R750 I almost looped it because I wanted to see what WOT did. If I could do it all over again, I'd have a Ninja 250/300 and a track bike instead. Insurance, however, was cheaper for me than my GS500F because I had turned 25.

What? Because I got a great deal on a used bike that had old tires on it and now im replacing them at the start of the season? Ya....real double facepalm....

probably wont upgrade my 250 till im 25 or so with my M, even then ill just go up to a 500 or so cause i cant afford more than 2k a year on insurance

What? Because I got a great deal on a used bike that had old tires on it and now im replacing them at the start of the season? Ya....real double facepalm....

Nothing wrong with a 6 year old tire or possibly the 10 year old tire. If they were in that bad of shape they shouldn't have been ridden on but I suspect they passed the safety so they were probably fine. Old doesn't always mean dangerous.

Nothing wrong with a 6 year old tire or possibly the 10 year old tire. If they were in that bad of shape they shouldn't have been ridden on but I suspect they passed the safety so they were probably fine. Old doesn't always mean dangerous.

as per his statement, really excited to ride past 120 km/h don't have to worry about new tires bursting which implies the current tires have issues hence the fear

Back
Top Bottom