When did you move up? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did you move up?

Hey everyone. Im a 20 year old male, m2, in mississauga since September of 2015. Insured since then on a 2014 ninja 300. I pay $1600 for liability and comprehensive, no collision.

I was just wondering when you all had a drop in your insurance and decided to jump up to a bigger bike.
Im looking at the CBR650f, Ninja 650, FZ07, or the FZ6r (all in order from what I want to least).
Was just quoted $2800 in a ninja 650 for the same insurance I have now.

Cheers

I first moved up when I was 17 to a 750 Supersport. I didn't care how much insurance was, I just knew I would make it and work all I needed to get the cash. Stupid priorities but that's how I thought.

There is a direct relation between disposable income and the number of cc's you ride.

If that were true I would be a millionaire.

I moved up from my 2014 Ninja 300 to a 2015 CBR600RR after 4 months lol. I'd been on dirt bikes for a decade before the Ninja though.

At 21 I paid $1600 no collision at State Farm for the Ninja. When I bought the CBR I was quoted $1900 same coverage if I took my truck over to them. Around $4000 if I didn't. That was with an M2, MSC and a clean record.

That was before the rate hike though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know, I love the way a big rotating mass feels between the legs at lower speeds with the suggestion of tire shredding torque at your finger tips. Also plenty of fun chuffing along sedately in the knowledge that you could do 300km/h at will but not today:cool:

I agree there is that, but at least to me, it gets old when your usable legal power is only about 3000rpm of the power band. On my 250, I could bang through the first 4 gears all the way to red and still not be in 172 territory...but if I even let my 650 (which isn't a SS) unwind in 1st and 2nd I'd already lose my license.

Wow are you uninformed. Please continue comparing your bikes HP at the crank against other bikes HP at the wheels.

FZ6 S2 07-09 is 98hp "at the crank".
FZ6R is 78hp at the crank.

If you are going to prop your bike up continually againt a lesser machine the least you can do is have the proper information.

My bad. I just quickly googled fz6r horsepower and used the first one that came up.
Pretty sure all the points I made are still valid tho.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

I moved 'up' after 2.5 years, but only because I had the money and insurance was reasonable. Also as much as I loved the 250, I did feel that it lacked power on the 401 when it came to passing. Had the numbers not aligned though, I probably would have kept the 250 another few years at least...and a Ninja 300R should have enough 'extra' power to not really run into the same concerns on the 401.

Really...keep it so long as you are happy and you can stomach the insurance and running costs. Also look at what type of riding you actually do (vs what you'd ideally do)...there is a lot of truth in it being more fun to ride a slow bike fast vs a faster bike slow, as my 250 was definitely more fun below 100.

Im thinking of likely getting an R3, think ill have those 'problems' you encountered on the 401?

I agree there is that, but at least to me, it gets old when your usable legal power is only about 3000rpm of the power band. On my 250, I could bang through the first 4 gears all the way to red and still not be in 172 territory...but if I even let my 650 (which isn't a SS) unwind in 1st and 2nd I'd already lose my license.

Would the SV650(and the Fz6R?) fall into this '3000 rpm' category? Where if you get too excited in 2nd gear, your looking at problems?

Last edited:
Insurance is insane in the GTA. If my bike ever got into 4 digits for full coverage it'd be parked. Now if it were a 2015 r NINE T then I'd reconsider.

Terrible advice.

Please ignore this. Guy has no clue....

Really? Two newbies telling a newer rider what to do.

OP, invest in yourself through a riding school. Stick with your 300 and take Racer5's Stage 1-3. It will open your eyes to

A. How much you suck at riding
B. Make you respect your 300 a lot more and realize it is capable of things you can't do (yet)
C. Might make you second guess buying a bigger bike

Or you might just go bonkers and want a bigger bike for ***** and giggles but regardless with the skills you develop through any track course you will be out-riding all the other guys on SSs easily. It's absolutely hilarious catching up to 600s/1000s on a 125/250/300.

The money you spend on insurance is wasted money that could be better invested in developing yourself as rider; you will take those skills and continue improving them for the rest of your life.

I moved up after having my GS500F for 2 seasons. First day I got my GSX-R750 I almost looped it because I wanted to see what WOT did. If I could do it all over again, I'd have a Ninja 250/300 and a track bike instead. Insurance, however, was cheaper for me than my GS500F because I had turned 25.

Im thinking of likely getting an R3, think ill have those 'problems' you encountered on the 401?

Would the SV650(and the Fz6R?) fall into this '3000 rpm' category? Where if you get too excited in 2nd gear, your looking at problems?

R3 should make a great first bike...essentially any of the modern 300s should. Like I said, my 250 was fine up to around the 100-120km/h mark and all the 300s make a fair amount more power. I still think it is a great idea to go test ride some and see which is right for you...if you have a M2 most demo days should let you on the smaller bikes. 600 and 1000 SS bikes are typically M license only.

As for the larger non-SS bikes, you'd be doing more than 3000 rpm, but yes, if you want to live near the redline in the first few gears you will be over the legal limit 90% of the time. I can only really speak to my CBR650F, but it will do 90km/h in 1st. I also wouldn't really recommend it as a great beginners bike unless you have a fair amount of self restraint...but it does make for a great second bike a few years down the road if you feel you need more than the 300 series provides.

Last edited:
600 and 1000 SS bikes are typically M license only.
Also depends on what you ride currently. If you show up on a 250r even if youve had your M a few years they arent letting you on a litre bike, maybe not even a 600, especially if youre younger.
But if you have your m2 and you show up on something over 600cc or similiar theyll let you on the SS 's. Just my experience.

My bad. I just quickly googled fz6r horsepower and used the first one that came up.
Pretty sure all the points I made are still valid tho.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

No worries, I'd be interested in riding both back to back just to see the real difference. The FZ6 S2 was the bike i had my eye on from the start (wanted a black one) but I got a good deal on the R so I can't complain. I like it anyways.

No worries, I'd be interested in riding both back to back just to see the real difference. The FZ6 S2 was the bike i had my eye on from the start (wanted a black one) but I got a good deal on the R so I can't complain. I like it anyways.

Im guessing, by looking at the dyno's that the fz6r probably pulls better from low rpm and has a smoother power curve. The fz6 has no pull at all in the lower rpms. But that does let you take it easy when youre just riding in the city.
I do love the big spike in power you get on the fz6 tho as soon as you get over 8 or 9k rpms. The sudden burst gets the blood pumping.

Last edited:
For you 20 something guys, beat the insurance companies at their own game. For the first five years ride a supermoto. Even better, one of the rare supermotos like Husqrvana. Dirt cheap on insurance, and so much fun. Throw a windbreak shield on it if you're commuting so you're not getting punched in the chest. All this while, you're getting your M (easy on a supermoto) and building your time insured without lapse. After five years now with your M, and riding a supermoto, you will have saved all those thousands you would have paid the insurance companies and buy yourself a brand new 600 supersport as your reward for holding out and not giving these thieves ridiculous amounts of money. With your M and five years without insurance lapse (never miss a payment), you'll be getting the same rates as older guys that have driven supersports forever. The more off the wall supermoto, the cheaper it will be. Think rare. That's how insurance works.

Last edited:
For you 20 something guys, beat the insurance companies at their own game. For the first five years ride a supermoto. Even better, one of the rare supermotos like Husqrvana. Dirt cheap on insurance, and so much fun. Throw a windbreak shield on it if you're commuting so you're not getting punched in the chest. All this while, you're getting your M (easy on a supermoto) and building your time insured without lapse. After five years now with your M, and riding a supermoto, you will have saved all those thousands you would have paid the insurance companies and buy yourself a brand new 600 supersport as your reward for holding out and not giving these thieves ridiculous amounts of money. With your M and five years without insurance lapse (never miss a payment), you'll be getting the same rates as older guys that have driven supersports forever. The more off the wall supermoto, the cheaper it will be. Think rare. That's how insurance works.

Wouldn't bet on it, I pay the same for my FZ1 and SMC

Im guessing, by looking at the dyno's that the fz6r probably pulls better from low rpm and has a smoother power curve. The fz6 has no pull at all in the lower rpms. But that does let you take it easy when youre just riding in the city.
I do love the big spike in power you get on the fz6 tho as soon as you get over 8 or 9k rpms. The sudden burst gets the blood pumping.

Yeah the FZ6 has a split personality. Thats why it's a great intermediate bike, friendly enough down low and exciting enough to keep you entertained up top.

My CBR opened my eyes to a whole new level of performance and I honestly can't see myself ever needing that much power on the street. Pin the throttle for 3 quick gears and you're doing over 200. It was a rush but I realized I can have just as much fun on something more practical and save some money o insurance.

Win win

R3 should make a great first bike...essentially any of the modern 300s should. Like I said, my 250 was fine up to around the 100-120km/h mark and all the 300s make a fair amount more power. I still think it is a great idea to go test ride some and see which is right for you...[snip]
As a new rider, just adding my 2 cents... I commute daily on my cbr300 and have never had a moment where I needed more power. More than enough juice to whip through traffic and get where I need to go. I'm usually on either 50kph roads or 80kph roads, the fastest I'll need to go is 110 to pass someone. I'll admit I'm not that comfortable on the highway, but it's not a lack of power, it's a lack of stability from being so lightweight. Or maybe all sport bikes get tossed around a bit on the highway? I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom