When did you move up? | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did you move up?

helluxi

Hey everyone. Im a 20 year old male, m2, in mississauga since September of 2015. Insured since then on a 2014 ninja 300. I pay $1600 for liability and comprehensive, no collision.

I was just wondering when you all had a drop in your insurance and decided to jump up to a bigger bike.
Im looking at the CBR650f, Ninja 650, FZ07, or the FZ6r (all in order from what I want to least).
Was just quoted $2800 in a ninja 650 for the same insurance I have now.

Cheers

Hey everyone. Im a 20 year old male, m2, in mississauga since September of 2015. Insured since then on a 2014 ninja 300. I pay $1600 for liability and comprehensive, no collision.

I was just wondering when you all had a drop in your insurance and decided to jump up to a bigger bike.
Im looking at the CBR650f, Ninja 650, FZ07, or the FZ6r (all in order from what I want to least).
Was just quoted $2800 in a ninja 650 for the same insurance I have now.

Cheers

My suggestion, stop paying the insurance company.
For that price difference I would do up the bike you have e.g. better tires, suspension, engine mods, exhaust...whatever you can do get some more power.
Change the stop exhaust and you will drop a lot of weight, replace with Ti or Carbon Fibre...I prefer Ti for you so if you drop it, it likely won't get damaged...CF will break.

Next, go take a riding course e.g. race school

I presume you have proper gear e.g. 2 piece suit, back protector, chest protector, boots

Now with all of that, you can go out and really enjoy your bike, do track days, become a better rider.
And you are keeping your money. Your next insurance reduction will likely come when you are 25.

Just a thought.

Riding a 250 for the past 4 years, currently 23 years old. Insurance was around 1400 for liability for the 250. I got a ZX6R this year and the best I've gotten has been 1400 through Dalton Timmis but they screwed me over with the two cars I brought over; by making them 2k more expensive each, so that doesn't really count for a better rate (in fact they were probably the worst ones).

Statefarm has me at 2800 for the ZX6R and I called almost every single company mentioned on this forum and no one has beaten statefarm. They quoted me 1700 but then told me that when my policy renews they go by a new guideline or smth meaning 2800 is the final quote.

I rode a 1993 ninja 250 for maybe 4 months until I moved onto a 2002 ZX-6R.

I remember the insurance on the 250 was $450 a year. Can't remember exactly what the insurance jumped to on the 600, but I want to say it was around $1200 a year.

Sorry boys you missed it

For that price difference I would do up the bike you have e.g. better tires, suspension, engine mods, exhaust...whatever you can do get some more power.
Change the stop exhaust and you will drop a lot of weight, replace with Ti or Carbon Fibre...I prefer Ti for you so if you drop it, it likely won't get damaged...CF will break.

I presume you have proper gear e.g. 2 piece suit, back protector, chest protector, boots

Now with all of that, you can go out and really enjoy your bike, do track days, become a better rider.
And you are keeping your money. Your next insurance reduction will likely come when you are 25.

Just a thought.

Terrible advice.

Too soon.

I had a 250 at $223/year, and moved up to a beast that I could leave in second and get to HTA175 speeds, for over $1,000/year.

If you don't have to shift, you won't. If you buy a bike that can get you into trouble more easily, then you will get into trouble, it's human nature. You might get out of the trouble and decide to not do it again, but it's tough.

Second and third seasons are when people tend to get cocky and crash. It is also when they tend to move up. You're still in your first season now.

Why going with these bikes? With your riding experience and age I would consider Honda CBR500R? I can tell you insurance wouldn't be astronomical, still high but not astronomical. It's a great upgrade and it doesn't cost (used) an arm and a leg.

I moved up to a ZX10 after my ZX9 was stolen. What I wouldn't do to be 20 again.

I have done nothing but move down....

Gs1000S (135hp, full built weapon), gs750 (100hp built motor), fj600 (stock), rd350lc (stock), bandit 650 (gsxr cams, full hindle, proper carb/airbox mods) and now I'm on an r3.

I found that having all the power and paying through the nose for it wasn't a smart idea. I like riding on the street and the r3 still does fun speeds but it's not stupid.

And I have a racebike.

I find once you are racing, going fast on the street is pointless and boring.

3rd year on a 250. Can't afford the insurance on something bigger when the bike sits for 5months. $1k/yr insurance is bad enough.

i cant believe what some of you guys are paying.

at age 26 in mississauga i paid $527/year on a sportster 883 with wawanesa.(had a love hate relationship with the bike...loved the bike, hated the back pain from riding it)
on my cbr600rr that ive had for 4 or 5 seasons now i went to state farm and paid $70 or 80 ish month ($840 maybe 900 a year) when combined with my cadillac. when i got a new truck i moved it away from state farm because it was cheaper (sf wanted 360 a month for just the truck...i moved it to aviva and paid $150) but i still only went to $120 a month for just the bike.
currently moved a little north of the GTA and paying $650 a year on the 600rr, everything moved to wawanesa

i got my m1 in 2003 or 2004 i think. so ive been licensed a long time but still.

Just a thought.

Please ignore this. Guy has no clue....

Anyways,
Im 22, my insurance is about the same as yours, actually slightly higher.

I upgraded to an fz6 last year after 1 season of riding, which, by the way, I would recommended over the fz6r. Im sure the fz6r is a fine bike, never ridden it, but don't let the "r" fool you, the fz6r is the slower bike. The fz6 has 98 horsepower, from an r6 derived engine, to the fz6r's 64 horsepower. Thats about the same power difference between those two as your ninja 300 is to an fz6r. And they cost the same to insure.

Personally I decided the extra $800 a year for insurance was worth it to upgrade. I paid $1900 for my 250r and I pay $2700 for the fz6. Thats an insignificant difference.
Its not like upgrading to a supersport where we'd be paying 5k+. I felt like it was worth it to just upgrade now and not wait 3 years until im 25, just to save a few hundred bucks.
When I do turn 25 though, I'll be looking into the SS's :D

Last edited:
There is a direct relation between disposable income and the number of cc's you ride.

There is a direct relation between disposable income and the number of cc's you ride.

When you're that young, all income seems disposable.... Until bills start coming adding up. Was probably the reason why I bought my Ninja 300 new when I was 21.
Was thinking of switching to track only but I switched companies, took collision off, and am paying ~$650/yr for liability and fire + theft which was affordable enough for me to keep (24 years old).

Last edited:
When you're that young, all income seems disposable.... Until bills start coming adding up.

Thats very true, but I would hope you have all your bills in order before you start buying motorcycles. If not, you have more significant issues.

If you can afford another bike, this is what I do. I have a klx250 insured, I have a gsxr750 when I want to ride it I call my insurance company and insure gsxr remove 250. Ride it for however long then swap insurance back. I do this many times a season. You can either have two plates both stickered or go to mto and swap plate over $10 bucks each time. The less days the 750 is insured the cheaper the insurance. Sometimes I just switch for a weekend. The rest of the time the 750 is track preped for trackdays.

I moved 'up' after 2.5 years, but only because I had the money and insurance was reasonable. Also as much as I loved the 250, I did feel that it lacked power on the 401 when it came to passing. Had the numbers not aligned though, I probably would have kept the 250 another few years at least...and a Ninja 300R should have enough 'extra' power to not really run into the same concerns on the 401.

Really...keep it so long as you are happy and you can stomach the insurance and running costs. Also look at what type of riding you actually do (vs what you'd ideally do)...there is a lot of truth in it being more fun to ride a slow bike fast vs a faster bike slow, as my 250 was definitely more fun below 100.

there is a lot of truth in it being more fun to ride a slow bike fast vs a faster bike slow, as my 250 was definitely more fun below 100.

I don't know, I love the way a big rotating mass feels between the legs at lower speeds with the suggestion of tire shredding torque at your finger tips. Also plenty of fun chuffing along sedately in the knowledge that you could do 300km/h at will but not today:cool:

Please ignore this. Guy has no clue....

Anyways,
Im 22, my insurance is about the same as yours, actually slightly higher.

I upgraded to an fz6 last year after 1 season of riding, which, by the way, I would recommended over the fz6r. Im sure the fz6r is a fine bike, never ridden it, but don't let the "r" fool you, the fz6r is the slower bike. The fz6 has 98 horsepower, from an r6 derived engine, to the fz6r's 64 horsepower. Thats about the same power difference between those two as your ninja 300 is to an fz6r. And they cost the same to insure.

Personally I decided the extra $800 a year for insurance was worth it to upgrade. I paid $1900 for my 250r and I pay $2700 for the fz6. Thats an insignificant difference.
Its not like upgrading to a supersport where we'd be paying 5k+. I felt like it was worth it to just upgrade now and not wait 3 years until im 25, just to save a few hundred bucks.
When I do turn 25 though, I'll be looking into the SS's :D

Wow are you uninformed. Please continue comparing your bikes HP at the crank against other bikes HP at the wheels.

FZ6 S2 07-09 is 98hp "at the crank".
FZ6R is 78hp at the crank.

If you are going to prop your bike up continually againt a lesser machine the least you can do is have the proper information.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom