Got 3 "Green" Tickets From The OPP, Will It Affect My Insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got 3 "Green" Tickets From The OPP, Will It Affect My Insurance?

Pegassus

Site Supporter
Got 3 tickets from the OPP on the 407 driving a (commercial) truck, the first one was "obstructed view of a licence plate", #2 was "Not carrying a OBAVR" a document that has to do with the truck's safety inspection and ticket #3 was for "carrying wrong transponder", the truck needs to carry a yellow-colored transponder not a black one.

The tickets are $85 each and they are green colored? WTF? The cop told me they are not "moving violation" tickets but I'm not sure if these things are going to screw me up for insurance once I pay them without fighting them.

Any insurance adjuster here can tell me if these things will affect my rates??

Subscribed...

They are all minor tickets, but the quantity might still be an issue. None are moving violations so insurance companies typically don't care a lot about them, but again, the quantity may get their attention - however, This was a commercial company vehicle? Was the CVOR of the truck recorded on the tickets? If so they may be more weighted towards your company than yourself, showing up on the company's CVOR vs your own driving record.

Personally, I wouldn't be that worried. None of them are of much concern from an insurance standpoint.

BTW, green tickets are the standard HTA offence ticket colour.

They are all minor tickets, but the quantity might still be an issue. None are moving violations so insurance companies typically don't care a lot about them, but again, the quantity may get their attention - however, This was a commercial company vehicle? Was the CVOR of the truck recorded on the tickets? If so they may be more weighted towards your company than yourself, showing up on the company's CVOR vs your own driving record.

Personally, I wouldn't be that worried. None of them are of much concern from an insurance standpoint.

BTW, green tickets are the standard HTA offence ticket colour.

Thanks. I will fight them. None of those 3 offences are my fault in anyway since I never drove that truck before and it was my first time touching it. The CVOR number was printed in the ownership but the actual paper was in the office of the company. The cop told me to go fight them and talk to the prosecutor to get them off... but I dont know if I can get out of the licence plate obstruction ticket... I should had noticed that one and refuse to drive until fixed.

The court won't see it as not your fault. As part of your daily pretrip you're supposed to check all paperwork and ensure its in the truck. Fight it anyway, it will go on your cvor as well.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

The court won't see it as not your fault. As part of your daily pretrip you're supposed to check all paperwork and ensure its in the truck.

x2. As the operator of a commercial vehicle YOU are responsible for making sure it's legal, safe, and all the required paperwork is in order.

Yes, I'd ask for a court date and at early resolution you may be able to get a few of the charges tossed or reduced in dollar value, but I don't think you're going to have 100% success. Whatever you do, don't go in with the attitude that you are innocent of all charges, the prosecutor may get his or her back up and decide you need to be taught a lesson and not offer you any good faith reductions at which point you will almost certainly loose your case on all 3 if it goes to court – no matter your personal opinion here, you are one 100% at fault for all of those tickets in the end and the crown could easily make them all stick.

Regardless, what's left won't be of much concern from an insurance standpoint IMHO unless you start racking up more of them.

Regardless, what's left won't be of much concern from an insurance standpoint IMHO unless you start racking up more of them.

Hopefully this is the case. While shopping around for insurance quotes I was surprised to see just how connected every detail of your past record and insurance claims are. Even a $100 comprehensive windshield replacement showed up as a claim on my record. Although this 1 small claim was negligible, it still showed up and had there been even more of them I was told it would effect my rates.

I'd do everything in your power to avoid having these tickets not show up on your record. Just in case.

Back
Top Bottom