Cabot Trail under construction | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cabot Trail under construction

Fixed link and contents of article.

http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/04/13/report-cabot-trail-slated-for-plenty-of-road-work-this-summer/

The Cabot Trail, the best-known motorcycling road on Canada’s east coast, is going to see lots of road work this summer.

Combining elevation changes, curves, and stunning scenery, the Cabot Trail brings motorcyclists from across North America to Cape Breton to ride through the national park. But this year, CBC says those motorcyclists can likely expect some delays.

According to this article, the Trail is going to see 10 construction projects this summer, including five bridge replacements. They’ve already got a head start on some projects due to mild winter weather, but the work is expected to drag into October, so if you’re riding the Trail this summer, expect hold-ups, no matter when you ride it. Maybe this would be a good time to try out the Mini-Cape around Cape George instead (like the 2013 Dawn 2 Dusk Rally).

The CBC piece says this is the second year of a five-year project to upgrade the Trail in the National Park

Well I hope they fix the morbid crash marks on the barriers. Sad when you're enjoying the view & you see some marks & you think to yourself... Somebody died there

Well I hope they fix the morbid crash marks on the barriers. Sad when you're enjoying the view & you see some marks & you think to yourself... Somebody died there

Have you ever considered that's why the crash marks are there?
They're looking at the view instead of the road.

After 20 years of build up in Cycle Canada, when I finally got there, what a frigin let down the Cabot trail was.

Other then a few scenic moments at the top, not even worth doing if you live in Ontario.

The roads in the Carolina's smoke the "trail...

BB

Last edited:
Fixed link and contents of article.

http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/04/13/report-cabot-trail-slated-for-plenty-of-road-work-this-summer/

The Cabot Trail, the best-known motorcycling road on Canada’s east coast, is going to see lots of road work this summer.

Combining elevation changes, curves, and stunning scenery, the Cabot Trail brings motorcyclists from across North America to Cape Breton to ride through the national park. But this year, CBC says those motorcyclists can likely expect some delays.

According to this article, the Trail is going to see 10 construction projects this summer, including five bridge replacements. They’ve already got a head start on some projects due to mild winter weather, but the work is expected to drag into October, so if you’re riding the Trail this summer, expect hold-ups, no matter when you ride it. Maybe this would be a good time to try out the Mini-Cape around Cape George instead (like the 2013 Dawn 2 Dusk Rally).

The CBC piece says this is the second year of a five-year project to upgrade the Trail in the National Park

One problem with road repair is that the temporary bypasses etc are usually done by people unfamiliar with motorcycles. Cars can handle wet steel plates but bikes can't. Heavy touring bikes don't like soft stuff under the wheels.

I was crossing the mid-west states a few year ago after flooding had taken out roads. They said the roads were open again but fortunately I was told by someone coming the other way that they were fixed with crushed stone. Cars were getting smashed windshields. I found a new route.

I would like to hear from motorcyclists exactly how the roads will be.

After 20 years of build up in Cycle Canada, when I finally got there, what a frigin let down the Cabot trail was.

Other then a few scenic moments at the top, not even worth doing if you live in Ontario.

BB

Yes it's pretty from a scenic standpoint and as part of an East Coast bucket list should be included but it's not a "twisties tour" destination tho the local have fun on the east side just north of this bridge

The cultural aspect is good tho if you are touristing.

We're hoping the New England section of our 3 week East Coast trek might provide some better riding and there are a few spots east and north of Montreal might be worth including now we have more time.

I had a blast on the east coast.. we treated most of the roads like a race track. Cape Breton was a scenic destination though. Took it slow and enjoyed the sights, it's a beautiful road and absolutely worth a trip.

BB

8 years ago we spent 2 weeks car touring all over Nova Scotia. There are sooo many good twisty undulating small roads all over the province, I really wished we had a bike instead. But despite all the hype, the Cabot Trail isn't one of them. Yea, scenic spots, and the dirt road out to Meat Cove is especially scenic. But unless you're on an adventure bike, not worth your riding time. Don't let this stop you from riding the rest of the province. All you have to do is stay off the main highways.

Back
Top Bottom