DIY cam chain tensioner gasket? | GTAMotorcycle.com

DIY cam chain tensioner gasket?

Matt Rain

Site Supporter
My CCT gasket broke in 2 pieces when I took it off and I know for a fact that it's going to leak if I try reusing it. Been there done that.

It's a really thin paper-based material, not sure exactly what it is but it's weak. Is there something better I can use to make my own? Else, where could I find that material so I can cut my own gasket?

The OEM part is obsolete and eBay sellers are taking advantage of that.

Once again, halp.

Loctite 515. Best gasket maker made.Clean the surfaces really well and assemble.Use brake kleen if you have some.DON'T try to repair the broken gasket with it.

Last edited:
Making your own paper gaskets from metal parts can be pretty easy if you need to do it (assuming you have decent access). You put the paper over the metal and then lightly tap around the edges with a ball peen hammer to score the paper. That being said, goo will be easier than paper anyday.

We use chart paper here at work. Cut fairly close inside...leave extra outside and trim when reassembled.

Locktite 515 make sure you are metal on metal and clean

Sent from a device using a program

How about Frosted Flakes and a light coat of gasket maker?

I have never tried it but I have seen multiple accounts of people trying cereal cardboard gaskets and it not working

Why not just use an engine silicone gasket maker?

Why not just use an engine silicone gasket maker?

Speculating here, but maybe it's hard to trust the intangible goo? How do you even use it, put down a thin bead on one side where the gasket would be, fully torque down the part and then let it cure for a day or two?

I have trust issues with it myself, after some stray gasket maker found its way into an oil return passage

as another option to the loctite 515/gasket maker suggestions, Canadian Tire sells a combo pack of 4 sheets of gasket material (thin rubber, thin paper, thicker rubber and cork) in something like 8" x 8" squares. I have used these materials for everything from replacing paper gaskets for my cam tensioner (on a virago xv500) to making a gasket for the fuel petcock where it mates with the tank. It works, and the pack is less than 20$.

Speculating here, but maybe it's hard to trust the intangible goo? How do you even use it, put down a thin bead on one side where the gasket would be, fully torque down the part and then let it cure for a day or two?

I have trust issues with it myself, after some stray gasket maker found its way into an oil return passage

You have "trust issues" with the applicator, not the application.

Silicone sealant could be used successfully in this instance. The oil is not under any pressure here. Clean up the mating surfaces, a small (2mm diameter) bead of sealant, and install... you're done.
If the motor has a oxygen sensor only use RTV silicone.
There are lots of motors out there that only have a head gasket, everything else is sealed with silicone.

If you want to make a paper gasket; any auto parts store or Crappy Tire sells gasket paper.
If you use a paper gasket be sure to use a sealant on it.... like silicone.

Hmmm. Couldn't find Loctite 515. I was told Permatex Motoseal would work. Let's see what happens.

Not gonna mangle my Frosted Flakes.

You can contact Joval or AJ @ D n D Engineered Products . They will sell sheet stock of gasket material - you can use the old gasket to trace it out and cut it out.

They will also cut out custom gaskets very quickly - I get a discount (industrial) but end use shouldn't be too far off. if you are going to be removing this part - you can get like 5-10 made and keep them with you.

1. [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]D&D Engineered Products Inc.

[/COLOR]
    Website
    Directions

Address: 5511 Tomken Rd #1, Mississauga, ON L4W 3Y3

Phone:(905) 602-2033

Thanks frekey, I might end up doing that next time. **** I'll have 100 of them made so I can undercut those ebay sellers charging $20 + shipping for a paper gasket.

That Permatex stuff is curing right now, looks like it'll do the trick.

Any silicone is bad.If you have ever torn down an engine that was sealed with it,you have cursed the little worm like bits that end up everywhere inside a motor over time.Plugged oil galleries are really bad.

Any silicone is bad.If you have ever torn down an engine that was sealed with it,you have cursed the little worm like bits that end up everywhere inside a motor over time.Plugged oil galleries are really bad.
^+1 on this.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I don't think that what I used is silicone, it's a liquid that quickly sets into a softer rubber.

We'll see how the test ride goes tomorrow.

Success! Not a drop or even a hint of a weep after a ~30km romp through town.

#happycamper

Back
Top Bottom