Air Canada Cargo Motorcycle Shipping | GTAMotorcycle.com

Air Canada Cargo Motorcycle Shipping

lowrider

Site Supporter
For those looking at pricing and process of shipping a bike via Air Canada Cargo, they have a promotion on and after a lot of phoning etc. here is the process (if you don't want Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver, then you should check with them on destinations etc.) - the deal only applies if the fly big enough planes to a destination:

ACC:

1) If you have a ticket with Air Canada the cost for the bike, one-way, Toronto to Calgary or Vancouver, is $850 inclusive of all possible charges except for the Dangerous Good declaration. So it doesn't matter which place you fly to or from the costs are the same (=odd).
2) The dangerous goods declaration is a certificate of inspection that you have to have to certify to AC that your bike is not dangerous to ship (it isn't carrying any flammables; aerosols; and isn't full of gas - must be less than 1/4 tank full) - basically this is the stuff on the picture at the airport that says "some things were not meant to fly". you get it. But the certificate is a Transport Canada regulation.
3) The cost for the dangerous goods inspection is $97.50 plus tax. However, they can put several bikes on the same waybill certificate (this guy was very helpful at the DG Control place). So if it was thre people then the 97.50 would include all three bikes, so not bad.
4) For the DG inspection you need to know the weight of your bike within approx. 15-20 kg. - the manufacturers dry weight spec. is fine he said- add a few pounds for fuel. (remember you can't have much in the tank). The dry weight does not include any luggage bags or panniers, so that makes it pretty easy. I am going to add a few pounds on for the hardware racks that my panniers attach to.
5) the DG inspection also needs an address in Toronto; and an address where the bike is going (I can give you one if you don't have one yourself.
6) the e-mail of the DG guy is: Jon@dgcontrol.com; (nice and helpful guy)
7) The Inspection takes 10 minutes or so and they are right next to the Air Canada Cargo. They just need a day or two advance notice by way of an "appointment".
8) You can then connect all your panniers etc. to the bike but you cannot pack them full of clothes and stuff - only bike related stuff. The good news is that "bike related" = helmet; tools; riding jacket and pants; etc. Just not your personal items. So this works well. You have to leave them a key to your bike and any locking side cases (mine are keyed to the bike key).
9) You have 24 hours to pick up your bike at the Air Cargo in Calgary or Vancouver once it arrives - and the wait can be fairly long if you fly with it, so they recommend you ship it one day, fly the next and pick it up when you land. Sounds fairly easy.
10) If you want or need extra insurance then you can purchase it for $3 per 1,000 of coverage (I.e. a $20,000 bike would cost $60)

The AC Cargo person was very helpful and not the usual bad Air Canada customer service person, you know, "I am in a union so I don't give a **** how bad the service is I can't get fired and by the way I am going on break in the next 30 seconds so you can call back another time though actually I don't give a **** if you ever call back". You know what I mean. Anyway the cargo people were very helpful. So the process is:

a) Gimme me a ticket on a aeroplane ("ain't got time to take a fast train").
b) Reserve the flight the bike will fly on.
c) Make an "appointment" with the DG control for the morning - or a couple of hours in advance of the flight the bike is going on (not all planes carry bikes, perhaps only one or so per day).
d) Go to AC Cargo and kiss your ride goodbye.
e) Fly the next day and pick up the bike.

Interesting, the ACC person was saying that the 850 included everything (there are a bunch of odd charges related to shipping etc.) even HST. I said, "even HST?" and then she said let me double check that...and then we were cut off! I didn't feel like spending another half hour on the call menu, on hold etc. to find out the answer. I would naturally assume it does not include HST, but then again looking at last year's price of $650 it would seem that the 850 may in fact be all in. Assume not to manage expectations.

There it is. Clear as mud, but not a bad process really.

Good explanation but not what we found in case of weight and panniers.

The dangerous goods certificate and the actual flying weight needs to be within 15-20 KG - not from dry weight. So load it up as you are going to ride it. I ended up having to check my top box - worked out okay but was annoyed.

If you don't want to get it weighed ahead ....load the panniers and top box as you are going to ride it
Weigh them separately and add them to the wet weight of the bike per spec sheets give that weight to the DG guy.

There is no issue packing your bike as you are going to ride it....clothes etc .....otherwise you end up with a spare suitcase at the other end.
Clothes sorted in bags you can just tell them its spare riding gear. They don't care.
Yes they were very helpful at both ends.

Yes two bikes can be covered with one certificate. We used an alternate for DG as DG was off sick.

We took our helmets on the flight to Vancouver and cameras computers phones as personal. That can be carry on. ( you are allowed two items )

You need to arrange transport from Air Canada Freight Toronto to back home.
We put the bikes in a day ahead of the flight on Saturday. There is a specific guy that handles bikes so check when he is on duty at Pearson. We did it in the evening.

Taxi is $20 to get to AirFreight unless you care to walk 2 KM in Vancouver.

If you book to leave Toronto in early morning ....you get to Van in the early morning and can have a whole day of riding.
Head North to Sea and Sky and 99 and enjoy.

Looks like an East Coast ride this year for kid n I.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom