New Rider -- Where to Buy 'Stuff' and What stuff to buy? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider -- Where to Buy 'Stuff' and What stuff to buy?

One more question - I was a little peeved with the Alpinestars Compression Pro Shorts as the online photo makes it looks like it has a fly opening and that was one of the reasons I selected these shorts.

The ones I received don't have a fly. How are you supposed to pee in the woods?

sometimes you gotta go "over the fence" when there is no front door .... Cheers !

So after commuting with some of the gear I've found:

Bell MX-9 -

Has a loud howl/whistle at speeds > 80km/hr. The first day I had clear tape over all the vents, but still had the howl, tape or no tape. I should've left the vents taped-up as they flow a lot of air and it was chilly last couple of mornings. You'll need earplugs for highway riding. I'll have to try it without the visor one day.

I may not have noticed the lack of a 'crack' position until it was mentioned above. I usually ride full open or closed but can see how a crack detent would help at low speed where you want to keep the visor down.

You can close the visor over goggles.

Fly Racing Patrol Jacket & Pants

I love the fit of the jacket, and the pants also fit well and are not too baggy.

They are water resistant somewhat, but will not replace a real rain suit. 1 hour in the light rain this morning and I arrived at work with wet legs from the knee down, a wet crotch, and wet forearms/elbows. They were pretty good on the first day of off/on drizzle. Maybe there's a spray I can apply - would be a pain to have to throw on a rainsuit over these.

They're not advertised as suitable for rain though and the zippers, pockets, etc aren't made for such. Just thought it would be an extra bonus if it was.

Last edited:
So I was lucky to get 4 sets of everything from a friend including 6 pairs of scoot goggles.

I do have to get boots, so my question is to the guys that know:

alpinestars tech 7 - recommend or not?
I am looking for Comfort and Safety

Tech 7's are really nice mx boots. Although for trail riding I'd recommend something less rigid like a Forma adventure boot

Are they lighter as well or just less rigid?
Tech 7's are really nice mx boots. Although for trail riding I'd recommend something less rigid like a Forma adventure boot

My opinion of boots is to spend the money and get the best pair you can get. Why? When you fall over (and you will) and 300 lbs. of bike has trapped your foot you want a boot that won’t be crushed. Likewise, when you hit the tree stump that is hidden by undergrowth you want a boot that can take the impact. Riding boots are not walking boots. I use Tech 10’s. They are expensive, stiff and difficult to walk in, but lying on the ground with the bike on top of it, you be glad you spent the money.

I agree - The problem with the Tech 10's is that it has the separate boot insert and my experience with my Daytona's (race boot) i find the feeling is a little bit lost. The Tech 7 have the same features as the tech 10 minus the insert.

Trust me I am not concerned with price over Quality
My opinion of boots is to spend the money and get the best pair you can get. Why? When you fall over (and you will) and 300 lbs. of bike has trapped your foot you want a boot that won’t be crushed. Likewise, when you hit the tree stump that is hidden by undergrowth you want a boot that can take the impact. Riding boots are not walking boots. I use Tech 10’s. They are expensive, stiff and difficult to walk in, but lying on the ground with the bike on top of it, you be glad you spent the money.

Last edited:
I have a pair of tech 5's. I like these Forma boots I bought better for riding at the Ganny. Way more water proof. They feel like they offer same protection. Easier to walk around in.

I end up going with the Fox Comp 5 off road, they seem better for trail riding, definitely comfortable. We will see

I end up going with the Fox Comp 5 off road, they seem better for trail riding, definitely comfortable. We will see

A MX boot works fine for "trail riding". I've been wearing tech 8's for about 10 years. When the time comes I'll buy another pair.

A MX boot works fine for "trail riding". I've been wearing tech 8's for about 10 years. When the time comes I'll buy another pair.
I tried the tech 7 and one of the buckles broke in my hand, bad sign but mostly I felt uncomfortable even 1 size up, my foot is wide.

These I got felt so comfortable. It might be one of those things where I end up buying a few pairs until I know what I need.

I have a pair of Tech 3's, still great shape. I wear my fox comp 5 more now, they're more comfortable for me. I find adventure boots are mostly aimed at dual sporters and long distance adventure or gravel tourers. For woods riding you need the full protection of an MX boot. Ymmv

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I tried the tech 7 and one of the buckles broke in my hand, bad sign but mostly I felt uncomfortable even 1 size up, my foot is wide.

These I got felt so comfortable. It might be one of those things where I end up buying a few pairs until I know what I need.

As long as they're comfortable. They should feel almost like a ski boot when new. You'll be happy you've got a proper stiff boot when you catch a stump or the side of a washout and it torques your foot. I guarantee it'll happen at least once a season.

What did you think of these boots after a season of riding? Do they offer enough protection? Are they true to size?

What did you think of these boots after a season of riding? Do they offer enough protection? Are they true to size?
I replaced my A* tech 3 boots with comp 5 last spring. Love the comp 5, pretty comfy and good protection. I wear a 10, my comp 5 in a 10 fit perfect.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I can tell you my experience with my Fox Comp 5 .... bought at Royal, 5 times at Ganny, both sides, right in the crease where your front part of your foot bends, back and forth as you move around or by walking around ... the plastic simply cracked. I was very surprised, since I thought it's a decent boot. Royal sent it to Fox and they gave me money back pretty quickly.

Next, I tried, Tech 7's ... oh my god, fit like glove, comfortable (Comp 5 is pretty comfortable as well, but at the expense of being more bulky where Tech 7 achieves it simply by a better quality boot). Fantastic self-aligning metal clips .... hmm ... long story short, I added some cash and walked away with a pair. Just by looking at the design of the same critical area, I can tell why the Comp 5 had no chance ...

It could be tear/wear specific to my foot movement etc. or perhaps they are made to be used for three times a year, in which case they would probably last you a couple of years.

OP ... shopping all your basics at Royal is very easy. It's not a complete selection, but this being your "first" gear set, you will certainly find everything you need there. Trust me, you will upgrade things as you see fit and if you stick with it.

I think they have "no tax" sale in spring ... just call them, they will able to tell you.

OP ... shopping all your basics at Royal is very easy. It's not a complete selection, but this being your "first" gear set, you will certainly find everything you need there. Trust me, you will upgrade things as you see fit and if you stick with it.

I think they have "no tax" sale in spring ... just call them, they will able to tell you.

Beside all the usual stuff - i bring
lots of liquids ( water & energy drinks ) high calorie snacks, hydration backpack, small axe, hunting knife & first aid kit and most importantly essential tools for quick fixes...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom