New Rider -- Where to Buy 'Stuff' and What stuff to buy? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider -- Where to Buy 'Stuff' and What stuff to buy?

BondJamesBond

I'm getting into woods riding and needs lots of gear. Apparently for myself (not my bike) I should get the following:

Helmet
Googles
Boots
Gloves
Elbow Pads
Knee Pads/Braces
Chest Protector
Neck Brace
Pants & Jersey

Anything else?

Can anyone recommend some stores that have a good selection, good pricing and the people to sell are good people? I live in Aurora but am happy to drive a little out of my way.

Thank you!

Royal Distributing has a good selection and reasonable prices.

It looks funny, but you can get away with an old street helmet for a while if you don't mind getting it sweaty and scratched up by branches. Just about any light gloves will work - there's no sliding along pavement to worry about.

I would check Kijiji, you might find some amazing deals. As mentioned above, RD is a great place to shop for riding gear but you can also check out www.canadasmotorcycle.ca ... decent pricing and free shipping above $50.

Oh, I also forgot about ReGear in Oshawa. Mostly used stuff, but some factory clearouts too.

ReGear is a great choice. The fellow who owns it is very nice and he's helpful. He may not have everything you're looking for but pants, shirt, gloves and perhaps boots can be had much cheaper than pretty much anywhere else. You'll need to call to see what he has in stock and if he has your size.
Also in the same area is GP bikes and you can find a good selection there, though they do sell online too.

There's lots of opinions as to what gear is essential but boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, pants, elbow and knee pads strike me as essential.

Royal tent sale starting April 21st. You can get close out or non current gear cheaper than most kijiji prices and new.
if you don't care to match your bike on color it can be real cheap,, I bought all new matching ktm gear for my bike and haven't wore it once in 2 years. I like the contrast. as strange as it may sound I wear more protective gear at ganaraska trail riding than at the motocross track, I have a fear of falling on Rocks in certain portions of trail.

I'm getting into woods riding and needs lots of gear. Apparently for myself (not my bike) I should get the following:

Helmet
Googles
Boots
Gloves
Elbow Pads
Knee Pads/Braces
Chest Protector
Neck Brace
Pants & Jersey

Anything else?

Can anyone recommend some stores that have a good selection, good pricing and the people to sell are good people? I live in Aurora but am happy to drive a little out of my way.

Thank you!

Dont run out on a crazy one day shopping spree at one place. The season is upon us and I'm sure you're eager to get everything but your best bet is to connect with a group of people and see what they're using and what would work for you. Many of us have good contacts for discounted pricing on gear anytime of the year though it's true that the royal tent sale is good. I just don't want to see you going and dropping a ton of money in one day at a sale like that only to find out that half of what you got isn't ideal or that you could have done better elsewhere. Many of us on the threads here have a ton of experience when it comes to gear and what has and hasn't worked for us in the past. If you check this area of the forum, you'll see a thread that discusses a whatsapp riding group that I organized - there are over thirty of us on it and you will find no shortage of help and opinions on it.

I googled princess auto tent sale and couldn't find a date and place announcement. Anyone know where and when?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Don't forget Kidney belt! Nothing worse then a nice handle bar at-speed slamming into you in the wrong places.

FWIW, I recently acquired a Suzuki DR650 and intend to do some trail/forest/dirt riding with it.

I've already acquired this gear:

Bell MX-9 Adventure Barricade Helmet, $269.99
Fox Racing Titan Sport Jacket, $152.96
EVS Glider Knee Pads, $63.89
Alpinestars Compression Pro Shorts, $62.96
Fly Patrol OTB Pants, $170.96
Fly Patrol Jacket, Camo, $215.96

All prices from http://canadasmotorcycle.ca/

I already have ICON Elsinore boots but will probably look for something more suitable for the dirt in the future...

The EVS Glider knee pads are shorter than other knee pads - they leave a gap between the lower part and the top of the boots, but I'm going to see what sort of boots I end up with first before thinking about anything else as a taller boot may fill this gap.

Thanks Serialize - I have to remember to pull my kidney belt out of storage...

I booked Monday May 2nd off for a trip to Ganaraska with some friends. Will see how the above gear works...

One more question - I was a little peeved with the Alpinestars Compression Pro Shorts as the online photo makes it looks like it has a fly opening and that was one of the reasons I selected these shorts.

The ones I received don't have a fly. How are you supposed to pee in the woods?

I bought my gear from a few different places. Majority of what I buy is online though. If you find anything in a shop you like, it's always worth checking online for a better deal.

FWIW, I recently acquired a Suzuki DR650 and intend to do some trail/forest/dirt riding with it.

I've already acquired this gear:

Bell MX-9 Adventure Barricade Helmet, $269.99

How you liking the mx-9? I've got it in solid hi viz yellow. Only thing I dont like is the windshield having 3 "notches" for opening. Can't crack it just a little in the colder (fall/winter) months to get rid of fog without freezing your face off. The peak doesn't catch as much wind on the highway as expected either, but shoulderchecks on windy days get sketchy.

Serious! The legs are a little long (and stiff with the side pads) to pull up as you would do with boxer briefs... You need to undo your belt and pants and pull 'em down from to top to do your business. A fly opening would make this so much easier.

I haven't worn the MX-9 out riding yet. I bought the Barricade-White. I like the visibility a white helmet gives you and the Barricade graphics add to the style. It fits well, same medium size as every other helmet I've bought. Has a wide eyeport and room at the chin piece... And the price is much lower than the Shoei, AGV, or Arai Dual Sport helmets.

With rain in the forecast, I think I'll take use the DR for my commute tommorow, testing the helmet and the Fly Racing Patrol jacket and pants. Lets see how waterproof they are...

Royal Distributing sale is on now and with some stuff 70% off and no tax on everything it was packed!
Parking was backed up more than half way down the road almost to GP.

Ummm

Back
Top Bottom