Question regarding motorcycle insurance. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question regarding motorcycle insurance.

Ally1

Hey guy,

I have a newbie question.

I have been a rider for a very long time but recently sold my bike and bought a another one (GSXR 1000). Question I have is regarding the registration of the bike.

I bought the bike this past weekend, currently working on getting insurance and safety will be done this weekend.
Can I then take the saftey document, insurance slip and my old plates to MTO and get the bike registered under my name?
Or do I have to get the Temp sticker before the safety is done?

Its been too long since I have done this and cant remember.

Thank you.

You only need a temp sticker if you want to ride it to the safety, you will need insurance to get a temp sticker. If you don't need a temp, you don't have to get one.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

You only need a temp sticker if you want to ride it to the safety, you will need insurance to get a temp sticker. If you don't need a temp, you don't have to get one.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I'm getting the insurance for sure. Regarding registration, If I have plates that are already registered to me, can I not snap those onto my bike and ride to the mechanic to get the safety done? I would have the previous owners registration papers and my insurance slip as well... After safety is done I would go to MTO to complete the registration.

I'm getting the insurance for sure. Regarding registration, If I have plates that are already registered to me, can I not snap those onto my bike and ride to the mechanic to get the safety done? I would have the previous owners registration papers and my insurance slip as well... After safety is done I would go to MTO to complete the registration.

You can't put on the plates, because they're not for that bike (yet).

If the bike you bought was 'fit' status, you go to the MTO, get the Temp sticker. You can put the temp sticker on your current plate. You have 10 days before it expires. During which time, you ride to your shop of choice, get the safety done. Once safety is done, go to MTO, pay for your yearly sticker (the one with the expiry year on it) and that's that.

You can't put on the plates, because they're not for that bike (yet).

If the bike you bought was 'fit' status, you go to the MTO, get the Temp sticker. You can put the temp sticker on your current plate. You have 10 days before it expires. During which time, you ride to your shop of choice, get the safety done. Once safety is done, go to MTO, pay for your yearly sticker (the one with the expiry year on it) and that's that.

Correct .. I just did that !!! .. Remember that per year only two temp stickers are allowed. so make sure to check the weather before getting the temp sticker as they expire with your temp ownership in 10days ..

You also have to legally register your bike within 6days of bill of sale date i think ...

You also have to legally register your bike within 6days of bill of sale date i think ...

You can register at any point, however without a safety it'll be registered as "unfit" and if also without insurance "unplated". Not good if you want to ride it to the shop.

You can register at any point, however without a safety it'll be registered as "unfit" and if also without insurance "unplated". Not good if you want to ride it to the shop.

I registered within 6 days with no safety and got FIT-TEMP with insurance. I got a temp sticker as well

You have 6 days to register your valid, stickered plates moved from the old bike with the ministry on the new bike.

I'm pretty sure, as long as you have valid insurance, you can ride the bike to get the safety done, with the plates from the old bike. Unless the bill of sale is from more than 6 days ago. Then, you need to get a temp sticker.

Long time ago, got pulled over for speeding, heading to work late for my midnight shift on late Sunday night, in a car that I had bought on the previous Saturday afternoon. Ownership was still marked as fit, in seller's name. I hadn't technically notified my insurance company yet, about the new car, but according to my policy I had 14 days. Gave the cop, signed transfer portion of ownership, bill of sale, insurance slip from my other car, and explained the situation.

After a few minutes, received my speeding ticket, with the expected comments about slowing down. Not a word about any of the documents.

Back
Top Bottom