Tesla fans | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tesla fans

Actually with proper connectivity they can already be summoned out of your garage. Car connects to garage opener and makes it open and car comes out. Same thing for making it park in said garage

Going all iRobot - who's insurance goes up when an unmanned car zooms out of your driveway and damages something or injures/kills somebody?

Was going on the list for the 3; however, can't recall if it was in a magazine or somewhere online - but production starts sometime in 2017 and it's been predicted (given both current supply and demand) that those of us who have put down the deposit, it may sometime in late 2020 when we see these cars. Said fugetaboutit based on that (and as another posted noted, I believe it was Car and Driver or some other reputable publication who tested a 3, confirmed the car is around $50k CDN).

Was going on the list for the 3; however, can't recall if it was in a magazine or somewhere online - but production starts sometime in 2017 and it's been predicted (given both current supply and demand) that those of us who have put down the deposit, it may sometime in late 2020 when we see these cars. Said fugetaboutit based on that (and as another posted noted, I believe it was Car and Driver or some other reputable publication who tested a 3, confirmed the car is around $50k CDN).
With the current dollar. Lots can happen in 4 years ;)

Actually with proper connectivity they can already be summoned out of your garage. Car connects to garage opener and makes it open and car comes out. Same thing for making it park in said garage

Yeah I know about that but his target is to have your car to pick you up at the airport or GO station. So good luck for taxi drivers, today they are protesting Uber and 5 years from now they will be complaining about Tesla.

Going all iRobot - who's insurance goes up when an unmanned car zooms out of your driveway and damages something or injures/kills somebody?

So far Google car only has one or two incidents in the past 3 years which is pretty good but the only way to lower the risk is if the majority of the cars on the road are self-driven, that way it will minimize the element of surprise as a result of human error. Insurance will be tricky, they need to come up with a new calculation but the risk will still be there whether it is driven by man or machine.

All self-driving cars from all manufacturers have had MANY incidents where human operators have had to resume control, even if no collision resulted. Bad weather is especially challenging.

Yeah I know about that but his target is to have your car to pick you up at the airport or GO station. So good luck for taxi drivers, today they are protesting Uber and 5 years from now they will be complaining about Tesla.
By the time the roads are ready for 100% driverless cars, there will be a vast self-driving car sharing network that will replace taxis and transit which will be much cheaper and more convenient than car ownership. Not 5 years from now, maybe 15 years optimistically.

Nobody wants to be seen in a Chevy...... Tesla is cooool.

Speak for yourself please, because I would dispute your "nobody" .... The Bolt will not be as cool, but it will also be simpler in many wayS and more practical with a real hatch door. I also for one would never buy a car with central iPad and some sort of HUD.

Not old enough yet for all sorts of auto-something gizmos .... :)

But having said that, I hope they do well and am thankful to all the early must-have crowds who will help them to resolve the long list of bugs and issues ahead of them. Nobody is immune to that, especially young car manufacturer ....

Last edited:
Speak for yourself please, because I would dispute your "nobody" .... The Bolt will not be as cool, but it will also be simpler in many way and more practical with a real hatch door. I also for one would never buy a car with central iPad and some sort of HUD.
Yes, the Volt is setting the sales charts on fire for the last few years, I'm sure the cheaper Bolt will break records as well...... NOT

Sent from my Passport

Unless Tesla changes their current practices of not making spare parts available at all other than to their own authorised service centers and not making repair specifications and procedures available to anyone other than their own authorised service centers (except in Massachusetts, where they have to!) ... these cars are going to be really, really expensive to keep going once they are out of warranty and all the regular car stuff starts getting old. Just because it's electric doesn't change that it still has brakes, wheel bearings, sway bar end links, control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, air conditioning compressor and condenser and receiver/dryer, heater blower, door latches and locks, etc.

Lease ... don't buy ...

The GM dealer is still going to be there 10 years from now and when a Chevy Bolt becomes an old car, keeping it going will be just like keeping any other old car going.

Yes, the Volt is setting the sales charts on fire for the last few years, I'm sure the cheaper Bolt will break records as well...... NOT

Sent from my Passport

You are misguided, as usually, in most of car related threads here. That's ok, you believe what you want to believe and we will see how it all plays out.

I really really hate all the big manufacturers. Most of them are **********. Visiting a dealership for anything is a horrible experience. It's all based on 'let's milk this person for everything we can get away with'.

If the big car companies open up their own shops/show rooms I would love to buy from them, but it's a horrible experience.

I'm buying a Tesla because I don't have to haggle. I already know I'm going to get the same price as most of the people buying. I don't have to worry about middlemen collecting a fee and jacking up prices.

Unless Tesla changes their current practices of not making spare parts available at all other than to their own authorised service centers and not making repair specifications and procedures available to anyone other than their own authorised service centers (except in Massachusetts, where they have to!) ... these cars are going to be really, really expensive to keep going once they are out of warranty and all the regular car stuff starts getting old. Just because it's electric doesn't change that it still has brakes, wheel bearings, sway bar end links, control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, air conditioning compressor and condenser and receiver/dryer, heater blower, door latches and locks, etc.

Lease ... don't buy ...

The GM dealer is still going to be there 10 years from now and when a Chevy Bolt becomes an old car, keeping it going will be just like keeping any other old car going.

I'm buying a Tesla because I don't have to haggle. I already know I'm going to get the same price as most of the people buying. I don't have to worry about middlemen collecting a fee and jacking up prices.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all just go and buy any car straight from the manufacturer? Although I'm not sure if prices would go down...or if the MFG would just keep the price the same, and keep the higher profits...

As for the Tesla...I'd love one, but couldn't justify that type of price for a car, not anytime soon anyway.

Also, I'm wondering how many of all those people putting down deposits think that they'll buy the car...and flip it for profit because it'll be the 'in' thing to do...

Let's see how many people keep their Tesla out of warranty.
but when you think about it and compare, the old manufacturers are still making a bunch of mistakes even after a century of making cars.

So i'm willing to accept the mistakes and failures of a younger company a lot more than someone who's been there and done that repeatedly.

And this kind of tech is "newer" for them as well (in terms of refinement) so even with all that experience, i think the playing field is slightly more in the advantage of the younger company as it's not set in its ways and is quite ready to pivot and change directions if something goes wrong.

There's less politics behind the decisions made behind a product in a smaller company... being in a big company i see it happen all too often. SO i'll put my money on Tesla! (just like i had originally and had made some money out of it when i still had money to invest :p)

Let's see how many people keep their Tesla out of warranty.

I don't think that the number will be high. I also expect that BEV's will change hands, meaning owners will replace them, much quicker. Just because a drivetrain, and mainly batteries, will be getting better and much better.

I also agree that to fix BEV's after warranty will be expensive, much more expensive than ICE based car. BEV owners tend to exaggerate how low maintenance their vehicles are, especially Tesla owners/fan boys .... But the same goes for Leaf .... Majority will tell you that they only rotate tires and check tire pressure. Yeah ok ....

Tesla's direct sales model is two edged sword .... Blessing when all is good, disaster when car needs a service. I think the early model 3 adopters are brave people who are buying anywhere else than major US markets.

There's less politics behind the decisions made behind a product in a smaller company... being in a big company i see it happen all too often. SO i'll put my money on Tesla! (just like i had originally and had made some money out of it when i still had money to invest :p)

Doesn't matter small or big, young or old .... In Tesla's case all they have been gearing towards was model 3 .... It will either make them or break them. But you will not find out until 2-3 years from now, because until than there will always be enough money on tap whether from investors or crowd sourcing.

It is also very known fact, that it is much easier to produce low volume of very expensive cars than very high volume (for them) of much less expensive cars. The broad customer base and everything else affects the scale of such a change .... They surely have some rough waters ahead of them. Hopefully they can sail through it, surely the world can use them to keep the competition on their toes.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested in a walk-around of the "X":

[video=youtube;UNAa5-uCowY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAa5-uCowY[/video]

Nice vid Rob.

I wouldn't mind having the Autopilot feature find it's way into more cars, EV aside.

Ok, I am all for technology but not to the point of stupidity.
If someone can buy a $10 frequency jammer to block cell and sat signal then these cars will be susceptible to attacks.
Even with sat radio, cloudy days causes issues.

Not to mention the ppl that will just want to cause havoc that will see it as a sport to hack the cars and control them or just mess with the signals...just because they can...and for their version of fun.

Ok, I am all for technology but not to the point of stupidity.
If someone can buy a $10 frequency jammer to block cell and sat signal then these cars will be susceptible to attacks.
Even with sat radio, cloudy days causes issues.

Not to mention the ppl that will just want to cause havoc that will see it as a sport to hack the cars and control them or just mess with the signals...just because they can...and for their version of fun.

A strobe light is probably bright enough to piss off the cameras and drop the car out of autopilot. It would be interesting to see if the cameras are sensitive to something like IR so you don't attract police attention while messing with Tesla's.

The new insurance fraud game will be to wrap your car to look like a road w dotted lines and try to get a Tesla to run you over.

The cameras picking up speed limits from street signs is awesome. I think Volvo does this too.

Back
Top Bottom