Tesla fans | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tesla fans

GixxerL2

Just wondering how many of you are Tesla owners or soon to be one? The car seems to be famous in the States and also Europe (Norway) but not sure if it is in Canada.

STB has (or had least had) a Type S and loved it. Link666 was on the list for a Type X, no idea how he feels about it.

King township is overrun with them. They seem like a really really nice second car. The range is good enough for day to day use without range anxiety. You just need another car for road trips.

If you have the dough (model S or X) and don't need reliable publicly available charging, min. L2 source, during a day (or you do and have an access to one), not much to dislike. It's a well designed electric car.

When people make comments regarding range, it's critical to point out, that it depends and a lot on many factors. Most people could run S or X (large battery) for quite a few days of commuting, based on avg distance commuted per capita (without going crazy with the throttle pedal at every light or stop sign, or high speed hwy travel, or middle of freezing winter .... as I said it depends!!) without topping off every night.

If you don't have the disposable ducats you will be waiting long time for model 3. The model 3 will either make Tesla or break it. This is the moment/car (model 3) they were gearing for and why Tesla exists in the first place ...

I am not Tesla owner, and probably never will be, because their cars in my view will always cost more (I think model 3, I would order would be around 50K CAD out the door ... way much more I am willing to pay for a vehicle, regardless how cool or green it is going to be ...), they will always be considered premium when everything is said and done ... but they could prove me wrong over time, who knows.

Half a million units pre-sold with a factory that is currently producing 1/10th of that a year. Claiming an 18 month (plus) wait for the car. Production to meet these demands is going to be key for them. Fail at that, make people wait much longer than they were told and many will walk on their $1,000 deposit.
Definitely interested to see how it all plays out.

Half a million units pre-sold with a factory that is currently producing 1/10th of that a year. Claiming an 18 month (plus) wait for the car. Production to meet these demands is going to be key for them. Fail at that, make people wait much longer than they were told and many will walk on their $1,000 deposit.
Definitely interested to see how it all plays out.

It's going to be a trainwreck. By the time they get produced, the government subsidies will have stepped back a lot and once people realize they have to pay full pop and don't get 8 g's off, they will walk.

Last edited:
Ive been a fan since the times when their stock was hovering in the 30s

Unfortunately i pulled out when that price tripled and though id made decent money (which i had)

Anyhow, i think it a great initiative that will help other producers kick their butts into gear at finding alternate fuelling solutions.

The only thing that could possibly fak up tesla at this point is if a bigger manufacturer came out with a quality product at the same (or at a lower) price point.

It's going to be a trainwreck. By the time they get produced, the government subsidies will have stepped back a lot and once people realize they have to pay full pop and don't get 8 g's off, they will walk.

I think in the States, the government subsidies will stop after the car production hit 200,000. I don't know the regulation here but shouldn't be too far off, I could be wrong though since our population is much smaller.

The only thing that could possibly fak up tesla at this point is if a bigger manufacturer came out with a quality product at the same (or at a lower) price point.

Well, the Chevrolet Bolt will be out (much) sooner than the Tesla Model 3 will, and there has been no Apple Iphone-like hysteria to get in line to buy one, which means you will actually be able to get one.

BUT.

It's all about the charging network. Tesla "gets" that, and that's why they have built lots of Supercharger stations and will continue to be adding more. GM (nor anyone else!) does not seem to "get" that. Where are the SAE Combo Level 3 fast charging stations? (Tesla's charging connector is incompatible with the one most others are using.)

I had a 733 km road trip today for work. Theoretically I could have done it in a Tesla, because there is a Supercharger in Kingston. Would have had to stop for half an hour on the way out (but I stopped there anyhow!) and a splash on the way back, which would not have been a big deal. I have to do a Windsor trip for work on Thursday. Theoretically I could do that in a Tesla, too, because there is a Supercharger in Woodstock and another one just east of Windsor. But in a Bolt, even with the claimed 200 mile range ... No can do. There are no SAE Combo Level 3 charging stations in Ontario outside of Toronto, and the Toronto one doesn't do me any good because I'm already here.

Extended Range EV??

VDN1hSq.jpg

I saw this one one on San Juan Island. And yes, the generator was running in the bed of the parked truck to charge the batteries.

Chatting with a Tesla owner last week stopped at a charging station in Port Hope. He was travelling from Toronto to Ottawa and said he does long distance all the time with the only difference being he plans out charges compared to a "normal" car. Wife usually wants to stop around charging time for a pitstop anyways so he really doesn't lose much travel time because of the charging.
Personally I wouldn't bet against Tesla delivering on their production date.

The subsidies are for everyone else, I would be very surprised if a single Tesla owner ever considered the subsidy when they were making the decision to buy.

Tesla's sell because the product is very cool wrapped in an appealing package. A moderately specced Model S is well north of $100k, I don't think consumers in that economic bracket are worrying about the subsidy.

The subsidies are for everyone else, I would be very surprised if a single Tesla owner ever considered the subsidy when they were making the decision to buy.

Tesla's sell because the product is very cool wrapped in an appealing package. A moderately specced Model S is well north of $100k, I don't think consumers in that economic bracket are worrying about the subsidy.

Those people aren't the people putting down $1000 on a Model 3. They will still be getting a Model S as it's a beautiful car. To hit Tesla's price point on the model 3 while not ruining it's range, I strongly suspect they will need to strip out much of what makes the model S special.

Those people aren't the people putting down $1000 on a Model 3. They will still be getting a Model S as it's a beautiful car. To hit Tesla's price point on the model 3 while not ruining it's range, I strongly suspect they will need to strip out much of what makes the model S special.
They did say they started from ground up but with Model S DNA... so im feeling part of it's "specialness" will be found in model 3 but scaled down. We already know about the heavier materials being used to save costs, the mass production of the battery in the giga factory WILL bring costs of batteries down.

So just based on those 2 factors this makes sense.
Now sensors for autopiloting might not be there in the base models. or the Biohazard air filter.
Basicallly more basic driving enjoyment and less bells and whistles that made this EV car what was considered one of the greatest made so far for mainstream consumption.

Now sensors for autopiloting might not be there in the base models. or the Biohazard air filter.

I believe autopilot will be there for the base model, also will be able to use supercharger for free which is very important. I heard the battery is quite expensive and the gigafactory will cut the cost down by at least 50%. I actually think model 3 is more beautiful than the model S, only two things that I don't like: the dashboard and the way they mount the monitor (vertical looks cleaner to me but probably less functional).

The dashboard was designed for self-driving car which is probably his plan in two years time. I remember he said (in 2015) that in 2-3 years time we will be able to summon the cars from pretty much anywhere and that would be cool and scary at the same time.

No longer on the list for that. Took the deposit back. Instead we will wait for tesla 3 and try to replace all cars with the 3 when supply is available...

STB has (or had least had) a Type S and loved it. Link666 was on the list for a Type X, no idea how he feels about it.

King township is overrun with them. They seem like a really really nice second car. The range is good enough for day to day use without range anxiety. You just need another car for road trips.

Personally I wouldn't bet against Tesla delivering on their production date.
I believe they were getting all their previous models into production. The 3 will surely be late too, according to the stage of development it's in and industry analysts. And that's just for production to begin. For the hundreds of thousands of reservations to be filled would add a few more years.

I believe autopilot will be there for the base model, also will be able to use supercharger for free which is very important. I heard the battery is quite expensive and the gigafactory will cut the cost down by at least 50%. I actually think model 3 is more beautiful than the model S, only two things that I don't like: the dashboard and the way they mount the monitor (vertical looks cleaner to me but probably less functional).

The dashboard was designed for self-driving car which is probably his plan in two years time. I remember he said (in 2015) that in 2-3 years time we will be able to summon the cars from pretty much anywhere and that would be cool and scary at the same time.
Actually with proper connectivity they can already be summoned out of your garage. Car connects to garage opener and makes it open and car comes out. Same thing for making it park in said garage

Back
Top Bottom