200-400cc dual sport for big rider? | GTAMotorcycle.com

200-400cc dual sport for big rider?

Gryph

I've suddenly caught the dual sport bug and I'm scouring for a cheap entry level bike to get me going, main bike is a Bonneville that I'll never sell - so this is a side toy, insurance is only $200 a year to add a 200-400cc bike. Doubles for a 650cc and I don't particularly want the big guy.

Now the wrinkle is I'm 6'1" 220lbs lol. Am I crazy to consider these small bikes, for reference I rode a Ninja 250 for the first 4 years riding including to the Cabot trail and back. What I'm hoping is you guys will tell me it's a similar situation - people that haven't ridden them poopoo them, but totally doable kinda thing.

Main use will likely be fire roads and secondary roads putting Around and exploring, but I'd like to hit some trails too.

Thanks guys!

I'm 6'4" 200 without gear and I have a drz400. Stock springs are NOT meant for big guys. They're for 125lb japanese men. Spring upgrade is about $300 roughly. Do that and you're good.

6'1 220 is not that bad, but you will probably have to re-spring to achieve proper sag or at least put more preload on the rear spring. A 400 or 450 KTM / Yamaha will be faster than you'll ever need off road and then some, and perfectly adequate for hooliganism and power wheelies on road. DRZ400 or XR400 is probably your best bet if you are not too keen on the short maintenance intervals with motocross style bikes, but they are quite a bit porkier and have lower hp. Pretty well any bike you buy used at a decent price will keep its value very well if you plan to sell a few years down the road.

Cheap entry level dual sport, 6'1" 220lbs. That has drz400s written all over it. If you really want to ride trails and not just wheelie around the mall, do not buy the SM, buy the s model. The bigger wheels and longer travel suspension is better for rolling over obstacles. You will also have a better tire selection with the s. You could look for a used klx250s, but with your size it may get old quick. Ymmv

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
Edit: It sounds as if I just dismissed the klx. The klx is the better bike in tight trails, especially for a new off roader. But if you have to ride any distance to get to the trails, it lacks power at higher speeds. It is quite fine on 80km/h back roads etc, just not much fine on a highway.

Last edited:
I have a DRZ400 - you should too.

Thanks for all the responses. Reaffirmed what I thought with the DRZ400 being the bike of choice, sucks because the 250s are a lot cheaper I find.

Gonna have to sleep on this one, had planned to spend like 2k but find myself looking at bikes that are 4K now lol.

I would think a 400 would be small for a person your size,good luck.
Really? The OP is looking to ride trails, smaller is better. A 650 is top heavy and is horrible in trails. There is nothing in between 250, 400, 650.

Really? The OP is looking to ride trails, smaller is better. A 650 is top heavy and is horrible in trails. There is nothing in between 250, 400, 650.

really ? How about the cfr450r.

really ? How about the cfr450r.
Off road only, OP said dual-sport. Plus the r model is an MX bike.

Get a KTM 690 Enduro R and you won't be disappointed, or go with the Yamaha WR250R. Both bikes are the best off road DS bikes in their class.

The DRZ is ancient technology. People buy them because of the price point...

Price point is my #1 consideration lol. This is a totally dumb purchase, but I am test riding the 690 Enduro this weekend for fun.

Price point is my #1 consideration lol. This is a totally dumb purchase, but I am test riding the 690 Enduro this weekend for fun.

I wouldn't suggest test riding it because you'll end up leaving the dealship with one!!! :)

Trade the Bonnie in, get the 690. It's the do it all motorcycle. Remember, when you ride it.... It will be on the softest setting. It's an absolute monster when you put it on the full power mode!! :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest test riding it because you'll end up leaving the dealship with one!!! :)

I would listen to him. You may feel like life is miserable if you have to get onboard a DRZ after knowing about the 690's charms.

My buddy has a nice car and he wants me to drive it but I won't. If I do, I might hate my car.

Between the WR250R and DRZ400, both bikes can be modded up to overachieve but I'd go with the more modern bike.

For a "budget" bike for a guy with your large inseam... I'd rather get a WR250R and gear it down than get a DRZ. Fuel injected. wide ratio 6 speed tranny. Liquid cooled. A bit less torque and way better suspension than the DR. It's not all about area under the torque curve... well ok, it is! ... BUT the little WR doesn't give up that much in straight line speed and, imo, is way better in every other category as a trailbike. Torque is also nice for lofting up the front wheel over objects though but nothing some weight shifting technique and clutch work won't fix.

I'm making that suggestion because you used the words "putting" and "exploring". If powersliding around every corner is your game, then go for the DRZ between these two.

I'm 6'3" and 225 pounds - don't be afraid of getting a small bike. As others here have mentioned, you'll need some spring upgrades regardless of which bike you end up with. Spring upgrades are hundreds of dollars, not thousands.

i'm your weight and 5 inches shorter. with your height you would fit a WR250R better than I do, and it has plenty of pep. spend a bit more on the bike now, if you decide you don't like dualsporting you will get almost all your money back if you sell it. the suspension is fine for my riding style and weight, just set it up properly from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom