MSF M2 or MTO M2? | GTAMotorcycle.com

MSF M2 or MTO M2?

supernova12034

Which one is easier to do?

I did the MSF course(at centennial) but ended up bombing because i went outside the line on the very first challenge and was too slow to finish it, ofcourse they want me to retake the test for a fee

I think it might have been the fact that i tried to shift into second gear mid turn and messing up, (Instead of either just sticking with the first gear the entire curve and revving the **** out of it as mentioned in another thread, or starting off in the second gear to begin with)

I was doing good the entire weekend, no drops, accident, riding smooth but when they started judging during the TEST i might have panicked and kinda dropped the ball
Feel like **** and depressed

Should I go back next saturday and take the re test? (They said they'll let you practice on the test for 30 mins, which seems ample time just a few of us)
Might also help its not -5 degrees outside(+11 is predicted for next saturday), and ill have actual practice on the test itself

Or should i just go take the MTO m1 exit test??(I've seen what they test you on, the diagrams etc, it seems easier than the MSF Course)
Do they require you to bring your own bike for MTO or do they have one?(as i plan on purchasing after getting the M2)

I'm not going to lie to you, this is a silly question.

"Re-take MSF free test? Or pay 80$ and dont get the full ~500$ you paid for the MSF in the first place"

Take the re-test, you know what you did wrong, so it seems best to work on it primarily the most.
I was also super nervous after the lunch on the last day (Testing and practice testing), otherwise I was pretty much perfect for the first day and half.
If you fail a second time, which seems unlikely since you can practice your previous errors, then think about the Ministry test,which I "think" is only about 80~$.

Unsure if the MTO provides, but I think they might. And I also think you still have to schedule with them for a later date, etc.

I did the MSF course(at centennial) but ended up bombing because i went outside the line on the very first challenge and was too slow to finish it, ofcourse they want me to retake the test for a fee

I think it might have been the fact that i tried to shift into second gear mid turn and messing up, (Instead of either just sticking with the first gear the entire curve and revving the **** out of it as mentioned in another thread, or starting off in the second gear to begin with)

I was doing good the entire weekend, no drops, accident, riding smooth but when they started judging during the TEST i might have panicked and kinda dropped the ball

Should I go back next saturday and take the re test? (They said they'll let you practice on the test for 30 mins, which seems ample time just a few of us)
Might also help its not -5 degrees outside(+11 is predicted for next saturday), and ill have actual practice on the test itself

Or should i just go take the MTO m1 exit test??(I've seen what they test you on, the diagrams etc, it seems easier than the MSF Course)
Do they require you to bring your own bike for MTO or do they have one?(as i plan on purchasing after getting the M2)

I'm not going to lie to you, this is a silly question.

"Re-take MSF free test? Or pay 80$ and dont get the full ~500$ you paid for the MSF in the first place"

Take the re-test, you know what you did wrong, so it seems best to work on it primarily the most.
I was also super nervous after the lunch on the last day (Testing and practice testing), otherwise I was pretty much perfect for the first day and half.
If you fail a second time, which seems unlikely since you can practice your previous errors, then think about the Ministry test,which I "think" is only about 80~$.

Unsure if the MTO provides, but I think they might. And I also think you still have to schedule with them for a later date, etc.

Understood, but the college also charges basically the same amount of $ for re test

But as long as they let me practice the test, ill just take the re test

I'm sorry, I thought the Re-test was free from the MSF?
The MTO prices are as shown:
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Licence-Fees.aspx
$51.75 for M2 test
$87.75 for M test

But re-test, clear your mind, and good luck!
I'm sure you'll do fine with better weather too

And in all reality, it shouldn't be "easy" if you don't know what you're doing on the bike, or else you shouldn't be on the bike, thats why the GTA has so many bade riders/drivers...

Understood, but the college also charges basically the same amount of $ for re test

But as long as they let me practice the test, ill just take the re test

I'd do the course. In courses I have been to, when people failed, it was for a reason and any extra seat time would help keep them alive. MTO will do nothing to improve your riding.

MTO you need your own bike, so course is easier. Did they recommend a retest, or a redo of the entire course?

ReTest with Centennial.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Also its perfectly normal to be in panic mode after Sunday lunch lol... Just think of this way.. if they are going to fail you its actually, they are trying to save your life when you are with real traffic... Once i realize that i came to a point that both pass and fail in the exsm is trying to help me in my real life situations and then i ended up passing the test ..

Like Baggsy said, you need your own bike at the mto (drive test center). So unless you buy a bike with your m1, it's Centennial.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Do the centennial retest. If you don't, you will not get the certificate showing that you actually successfully completed the course, and accordingly you will not be eligible for the insurance company discount offered by many insurers for having done so.

The discount will typically exceed the value of the retest (my experience was that the discount was worth $200-$300 off your first year) so in the end so from that perspective it seems like a no-brainer.

And yes, hopefully you'll obtain the skills that will keep you alive out here. As mentioned, the MTO test is a joke.

MTO you need your own bike, so course is easier. Did they recommend a retest, or a redo of the entire course?

they recommended a retest, supposedly they'll let me and 2 of the others practice for half an hour on a saturday(Next week should be MUCH warmer) and then we can take the test again
Hopefully they'll let us practice the ACTUAL TEST itself(White lines etc, which is my understanding) rather than just running us through the random cone exercises

Im still trying to figure out exactly what happened, i remember them stressing speed speed speed and i just messed up while trying to shift to 2nd, and at that point i went OUTSIDE the barely 2ft wide curved line..

I dont know if it was the shifting that messed me up, or that i just CHOKED when the test came, maybe it was a combination of both, but as suggested in one of the other threads, its probably better to do that one without changing gears(Either revving the crap out of 1st or just starting with 2nd and not even bothering with 1st)

its so depressing I cant shake the feeling off me that i failed, i always knew i rode a little slower than everyone else in the class but didnt think when the time came i would just choke
I did the course pretty smoothly, didnt drop the bike, didnt get into an accident, gear shifting was smooth on the second day

anyway ill book the retest and hopefully they'll let me practice the actual test before we do the retest

On a side note:
Just curious..
If your required to bring your own bike for the MTO test, but have an M1...that means you cant get insured...so how do you ride it to the test facility? And how do you practice for the MTO test? Since you cant ride without insurance?

Do the retest, and as hard as it is to, try not to panic as much this next time. Follow their instructions to the T and you should be ok for a pass.

I know it might not be a hugely popular view around here (maybe), but personally I'm not a big fan of the M2 test. I think the course is a really good idea and all should do it and benefit form it, but the fact the test consists of timed events where you have to stay within small margins (that aren't even that clearly marked (eg. small cones or chalk vs actual lane lines and curbs), just doesn't sit 100% right with me.

I know one point I got knocked on was for the 'do a curve and stop in the box' test, as I stopped only half-way in the box (stopped too soon). Given I did the test in the time and hit the speed required, somehow i lost of a point by stopping 30cm too soon...but I digress.

On a side note:
Just curious..
If your required to bring your own bike for the MTO test, but have an M1...that means you cant get insured...so how do you ride it to the test facility? And how do you practice for the MTO test? Since you cant ride without insurance?

I don't understand why people keep saying this...you can get insured, but under the stipulation that you have 60-90 days to get your M2 or they will cancel your insurance. M1 is a legal license and the whole idea (from the ministry point of view) is that you get it, get a bike, and ride a little/lot so you can pass the MTO exit test in 60-90 days. The fact they won't even let you take the test for 60 days means they want you to practice first.

I don't understand why people keep saying this...you can get insured, but under the stipulation that you have 60-90 days to get your M2 or they will cancel your insurance. M1 is a legal license and the whole idea (from the ministry point of view) is that you get it, get a bike, and ride a little/lot so you can pass the MTO exit test in 60-90 days. The fact they won't even let you take the test for 60 days means they want you to practice first.

and who is going to insure an M1 rider?

where you have to stay within small margins (that aren't even that clearly marked (eg. small cones or chalk vs actual lane lines and

The lines at Centennial are well marked and permanent, same as street lines. If you look on Google maps on the north tip of the Scarborough campus you can clearly see the exercise and exam test areas on the satellite image.

and who is going to insure an M1 rider?

Some insurers will but you're going to pay a premium, others won't touch you at all without both an M2 & the safety course, others may with just the M2. And don't think of trying to show up to the ministry road test with a uninsured bike, it is part of the pre-test checks that they check all of your paperwork, including insurance.

The only possible way around it is to find somebody willing to loan you their insured/plated bike - good luck with that.

OP, as I touched on before, between the insurance discount and everything else for having had both your M2 and the training successfully completed before you actually go to insure a bike, it is a complete no-brainer to just go back and do the re-test there. If your goal of avoiding that in wanting to do the ministry road test instead just because it's easier, that's the wrong mindset to go into motorcycling with. The skills that you are learning and perfecting at the training course can and very well may save your life someday.

OP, as I touched on before, between the insurance discount and everything else for having had both your M2 and the training successfully completed before you actually go to insure a bike, it is a complete no-brainer to just go back and do the re-test there. If your goal of avoiding that in wanting to do the ministry road test instead just because it's easier, that's the wrong mindset to go into motorcycling with. The skills that you are learning and perfecting at the training course can and very well may save your life someday.

I know, its just im worried ill panic/choke again ****

I don't understand why people keep saying this...you can get insured, but under the stipulation that you have 60-90 days to get your M2 or they will cancel your insurance..

Just for the record, that's not exactly the case – the only insurer that I found that would insure you under an M1 and then retroactively (within 30 days) readjust your rate for M2 was Riders Plus. To the contrary, most insurers do not offer this 30 day grace period, so whatever license class you are when you enact the policy, and the fees that come along with it, are what you're stuck paying for the *entire* first term.

In other words, with most insurance companies, it's very prudent (unless again money doesn't matter) to actually have your M2 completed before you go to enact the policy...unless the insurance differences don't mean anything to you. Is also assumes you can find an insurance company that actually accepts M1 only. An increasing number will not.

Don't beat yourself up over a little this supernova. We're all different and react differently under pressure, especially things like exams or recitals. I recall being pretty nervous too, knowing that everybody -- the other riders and instructors -- were waiting and watching (just as I had done with the other riders.)

Try, perhaps, to take something positive away from it. For example, nerves and tension getting the best of you during that situation is bad but you don't want to be ultra nervous and making mistakes out in traffic. Practice, practice, practice to the point where low-speed maneuvering, steering, shifting etc becomes muscle memory helps. If you go back to Centennial see if the re-test can be done without a huge audience. Try to find ways to calm down (that don't involve alcohol... :) )

Bingo! I think i know how to solve this for the retest
"Do not shift gears while you are turning. A rough, jerky downshift can cause the rear wheel to lock, resulting in a skid. Applying too much power can cause the rear tire to lose traction, also resulting in a skid. It is best to shift gears before entering a turn"

Thats from the MTO
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/motorcycles/section3-5-0.shtml

Don't beat yourself up over a little this supernova. We're all different and react differently under pressure, especially things like exams or recitals. I recall being pretty nervous too, knowing that everybody -- the other riders and instructors -- were waiting and watching (just as I had done with the other riders.)

Try, perhaps, to take something positive away from it. For example, nerves and tension getting the best of you during that situation is bad but you don't want to be ultra nervous and making mistakes out in traffic. Practice, practice, practice to the point where low-speed maneuvering, steering, shifting etc becomes muscle memory helps. If you go back to Centennial see if the re-test can be done without a huge audience. Try to find ways to calm down (that don't involve alcohol... :) )

sounds good, i think i should be ok this saturday for the retest

If you are going to shift, do it in the straight section after the turn.

Don't start from the stop in second gear... too chuggy.

When you're a bike length in, turn your head to the right and look at the box at the end. Squeeze your knees into the tank and relax your arms.

Re-test might cost you $50 at Centennial. It'll only be you and a couple others during lunch on Sunday. Just relax and don't beat yourself up about it.

Back
Top Bottom