Don't tell mom... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Don't tell mom...

Deanmac

So my daughter was driving on the 401. She has a G2 license and got nicked for 32 over. Cop was good to knock it down to 29 over so she doesn't lose her license for 30 days given her license status. And yes, I normally fight all tickets but may let this one slide unless.... as my daughter is on my ex wife's insurance, will my ex get nicked at insurance renewal later this year if my daughter pleads or is found guilty or does this just go on my daughter's record when she insures in the future?

If you daughter is specifically named on your ex-wifes policy, the premium your ex-wife pays for your daughter will go up IF the insurance company decides to review driving records at time of policy renewal.... In my experience, they don't always check though.

If your daughter lives with your ex she should be listed on your ex's policy and that would affect it. If she lives elsewhere she wouldn't necessarily be listed on the policy unless for some reason she was a regular driver of the car.

In The end, if your ex kicks her off her insurance come renewal because of a rate increase… The charge is going to follow her anyways as the ticket will still be on her record in the end. Best hope neither the insurance company nor the ex notices. ;)

And tell her to wise up. That alone will cause a significant rate increase for an <25 G2 - any other ticket in the next 3 years may make her uninsurable. She was lucky she met a cool cop willing to cut her a break - a licence suspension would have made her uninsurable for much longer.

Not "uninsurable" it would move her to the facility market though, which means still insurable just not affordable..

In The end, if your ex kicks her off her insurance come renewal because of a rate increase… The charge is going to follow her anyways as the ticket will still be on her record in the end. Best hope neither the insurance company nor the ex notices. ;)

And tell her to wise up. That alone will cause a significant rate increase for an <25 G2 - any other ticket in the next 3 years may make her uninsurable. She was lucky she met a cool cop willing to cut her a break - a licence suspension would have made her uninsurable for much longer.

Not "uninsurable" it would move her to the facility market though, which means still insurable just not affordable..

True, but that's kinda what I meant. If my son came home with a $10,000/yr insurance renewal I'd consider that "uninsurable" as in "he ain't coming up with that sort of money". ;)

Did someone change the rules on me again? Why would a 32 over conviction cause a G2 holder to have their license suspended?

They tend to look if there is a material change in the file.
So an address change, getting G, buying a car etc.
Although, they might do a random check as well.
Computers are getting faster.

I'm left wondering what the consequence was here,
for driving someone else's vehicle in a inappropriate manner?

Don't tell mom seems pretty lenient to me.
My kids would be banned from driving for a while.
Riding the bus for a while might get them to slow down for a while.

30 - 49 over is 4 demerit points. which if a G2 driver gets 4 demerit points they get a 30 day suspension.

Oh. What happened to appearing before a bunch of people thing?

30 - 49 over is 4 demerit points. which if a G2 driver gets 4 demerit points they get a 30 day suspension.

Not true

https://www.ontario.ca/page/understanding-demerit-points

[h=2]Penalties for demerit points: new drivers[/h]You are considered a novice – or new – driver if you have a G1, G2, M1, M2, M1-L or M2-L licence. As a new driver, you face different consequences for adding demerit points.
As a new driver, if you have:
2 to 5 points:
You will be sent a warning letter.

Not true

Penalties for demerit points: new drivers

You are considered a novice – or new – driver if you have a G1, G2, M1, M2, M1-L or M2-L licence. As a new driver, you face different consequences for adding demerit points.
2 to 5 points:

What about this? (May I blame the Liberal government, since they've been in power so long?)
As a novice driver, you will face serious penalties for breaking traffic laws.
For a first offence: your driver’s licence is suspended for 30 days.
For a second offence: your driver’s licence is suspended for 60 days.
For a third offence: you will lose your novice licence. You will need to re-apply for your licence and start all over, taking all tests and paying all fees. You will also lose any time discount you earned, any time you were credited, and any fees you have paid.

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-are-penalties-novice-drivers-who-break-traffic-laws

Last edited:
What about this? (May I blame the Liberal government, since they've been in power so long?)
As a novice driver, you will face serious penalties for breaking traffic laws.
For a first offence: your driver’s licence is suspended for 30 days.
For a second offence: your driver’s licence is suspended for 60 days.
For a third offence: you will lose your novice licence. You will need to re-apply for your licence and start all over, taking all tests and paying all fees. You will also lose any time discount you earned, any time you were credited, and any fees you have paid.

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-are-penalties-novice-drivers-who-break-traffic-laws

Looks like she'll lose her license anyway based on this post. She wasn't going to fight it, maybe now she should. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Definitely fight it. She won't have to go to trial. The Crown will offer up a lesser offence at early resolution. Accept the offer, it won't get better at trial.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Not true

Penalties for demerit points: new drivers

You are considered a novice – or new – driver if you have a G1, G2, M1, M2, M1-L or M2-L licence. As a new driver, you face different consequences for adding demerit points.
2 to 5 points:
The page you are quoting from was not written by MTO, It was likely some junior civil servant who didn't read it correctly from the MTO see above so no I was not wrong a G2 driver wit 4 demerit points for a single offence, (ie 30 - 49 over) WILL have their licence suspended for 30 days. I have seen in it in action, not just from reading..lol.

G1, G2, M1, and M2 drivers all fall under completely different and at times confusing set of regulations. My friend who is taking her MSF course next weekend and has had her G for 40 years will the moment she writes and gets her M1, no longer be permitted to have even a single beer and drive her car. Because she will be holding an M1 is not permitted to operate ANY class of vehicle unless she has ZERO Blood Alcohol Concentration, (0% BAC).

The page you are quoting from was not written by MTO, It was likely some junior civil servant who didn't read it correctly from the MTO see above so no I was not wrong a G2 driver wit 4 demerit points for a single offence, (ie 30 - 49 over) WILL have their licence suspended for 30 days. I have seen in it in action, not just from reading..lol.

G1, G2, M1, and M2 drivers all fall under completely different and at times confusing set of regulations. My friend who is taking her MSF course next weekend and has had her G for 40 years will the moment she writes and gets her M1, no longer be permitted to have even a single beer and drive her car. Because she will be holding an M1 is not permitted to operate ANY class of vehicle unless she has ZERO Blood Alcohol Concentration, (0% BAC).

Incase if you guys want to look it up. Here it is.

"44.1 (1) It is a condition of the driver’s licence of every novice driver that his or her blood alcohol concentration level be zero while he or she is driving a motor vehicle on a highway. 2009, c. 5, s. 14."

In other words, if you possess for example a GM2, you cannot have a blood alcohol concentration above 0 mgs of alcohol in a 100 ml of blood, while operating any motor vehicle, including your cage that you have a full licence for. Doesn't make any sense, but it's there. Wait for your full licence before drinking and driving... though you shouldn't be drinking and driving in the first place.......

Last edited:
Definitely fight it. She won't have to go to trial. The Crown will offer up a lesser offence at early resolution. Accept the offer, it won't get better at trial.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Not entirely true. Since the charge was already dropped to 29 under, the crown could threaten to increase it back to the original amount in leu of offering a lesser sentence.

Back
Top Bottom