Seat recover | GTAMotorcycle.com

Seat recover

revalot

I have seen a few posts about seat recovered and who to take it too, none have mentioned cycle world.

Has anyone used cycle world to have their seat recovered?

Isn't recovering a seat generally pretty easy? Just stretch the material over it and staples the edges? That's assuming you don't need the foam repaired/replaced.

It's not to hard but the cost of a seat cover is $50 US+ $40 shipping + exchange + buying stainless steel stapes and the time to do it.

Might as well pay a local to do it better than I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycle World quoted $250 for a small cruiser seat. I will be taking it elsewhere. Probably Trim Tech in North Oshawa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't recovering a seat generally pretty easy? Just stretch the material over it and staples the edges? That's assuming you don't need the foam repaired/replaced.

Easy to do, but even easier to have someone else do it and do it perfectly. The cover is designed to fit over the existing seat, I just thought the $60 or whatever it cost me was worth it.

nothing looks worse than a badly installed seat cover, I'd pay a reasonable fee to have it look right.

I stand corrected, trim tech was $250 as well, but just for the drivers seat. I still went with them as I was there and seemed to be more thorough and will have me take the shaped seat home to try before they cover.

Cheap for a custom seat, just more than I wanted to spend based on the motorcycle

Last edited:
Got the seat back from Trim Tech. The seat looks good, only thing I am questioning is why they would leave the old staples and the old seat cover. I did not notice this until I got it home.

Before:

f545c914c13de01670661e836845ca29.jpg

After
2b3ca7685996d264f9e438d084d2bd07.jpg

eeed421c9a755547090daada0ecc453c.jpg

4bd2e6dc625a6072dff8c74602dc6706.jpg

First things first...anyone rocking a purple bike is a ok in my books!
Second, did they put new foam as well? Because it looks like they left the old stuff. In which case, maybe it was falling apart at removal, and left the old skin to hold it together?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Second, did they put new foam as well? Because it looks like they left the old stuff. In which case, maybe it was falling apart at removal, and left the old skin to hold it together?

Ha ha, thanks.

They used the old foam, so you could be correct, it looked pretty dry and brittle at the holes where I could see it.

Looks great. I had them leave the original cover under mine as well. It was great for the three years I had it on before I sold the bike.

thats exactly what it looks like to me. i m sure they did a good job at putting a new cover on and the price of recovering is probably limited by what the customer is willing to spend but that foam should have been replaced and old cover removed.

im no expert but i recently bought a gel pad off ebay that is about 1" thick and took apart my passenger seat, cut out the OEM foam and put the gel pad in then stapled down the old cover.
it came out really good, and my GF says she doesnt feel the bumps in the road anymore. i think its actually more comfortable than my Corbin but im not going to be gutting that to add a gel pad.
i may take my stock seat and do the gel pad in it and see how i like it but honestly the corbin is great but firm, ive done close to 8 hrs on it in a single day and i was ok to ride the next day.

Ha ha, thanks.

They used the old foam, so you could be correct, it looked pretty dry and brittle at the holes where I could see it.

Good call.

One thing DIY'ers can look for is called 4 way stretch material. If you are not that experienced at manipulating traditional vinyl or cutting your own panels to fit, this stuff will overlook some shortcomings because it stretches in every direction. Common practice is to cut the side panels in regular vinyl and the seat tops in stretch but a little smaller because it will expand to the space required, taking out any wrinkles or puckers.

It was limited to my budget, and the value of the bike.
to be fair, i think if they started to replace the foam it would have ended up being cheaper to just buy a new seat.
seat came out looking good and you are happy, thats what matters.

just curious, what bike is it?

to be fair, i think if they started to replace the foam it would have ended up being cheaper to just buy a new seat.
seat came out looking good and you are happy, thats what matters.

just curious, what bike is it?

1996 Honda Magna

I have a friend who has a magna (no clue what year) that he refuses to part with and hasn't been started in over 5 years. He loves the bike.

Back
Top Bottom