HOV lane Ticket affect Insurance??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV lane Ticket affect Insurance???

Apollo95

Site Supporter
Hello,

Does getting a improper use of HOV lane ticket affect insurance??

it's a $130 ticket, but if it affects insurance then that could result in a $1000 hike over 3 years... it's robbery.
I don't see how this type of ticket should affect insurance...wouldn't make sense.

please advise. thnx

I could be wrong, but if it is a moving violation (vs say parking ticket), then it will affect insurance. Chances are it is a minor classification (vs major or criminal) so impact should be the same as a 1-49 over ticket. Ticket amount and points don't matter to insurance...only classification does (points only matter when it comes to losing your license).

I can't speak to your insurance provider or record...but a single minor shouldn't raise rates more than maybe $100-200/year. If you have other minors though, then expect potential issues.

You need to provide us with more information. AFAIK there are no HOV tickets (HTA or By-Law) where the total fine is $130. There may be a "fatal error" on your P.O.N, and this could get the ticket tossed: London v. Young

Where exactly did you receive this ticket? Hwy 404? Eglinton Ave W? During Pan Am Games?

HTA S154.1(3) - Improper use of high occupancy vehicle lane
Set Fine: $85
Victim Surcharge: $20
Court Fee: $5
Total Fine: $110

Cities within the GTA also have their own HOV By-Law charges available. Most have the same fine ~$85 Ex: City of Toronto, Vaughan

City of Toronto Code Chapter 950 section 503(d)(1)- Drive non designated vehicle in designated lane.
Set Fine: $65
Victim Surcharge: $15
Court Fee: $15
Total Fine: $85

Source 1 Source 2

It's important to understand that by-law tickets DO NOT affect your insurance premiums. However, if the by-law charge prohibits a turn then you will/may (depends whether the City reports it to the MTO) receive two demerit points (demerit pts DO NOT affect you insurance, only convictions).

All HTA, CAIA, Criminal Code, etc charges can affect your insurance premiums.

Just take a look at your recent insurance renewal, inspect whether you're receiving any "conviction free" discounts (ie. ~25%); once you're convicted of even a minor HTA conviction (ie. Drive without proper headlights, Improper number plate light, Improper tires, No clear view to front, +1km/hr speeding, etc) you will LOSE that discount.

ie. State Farm applies +10% premium for each minor HTA conviction. If you collect 3 minor convictions within a 3 year window, State Farm will cancel your policy.

Major/Serious convictions (ie. Careless, Stunt Driving, DUI, Speeding in Community Safety Zones) will result in +100% increase or a cancellation of your policy, you will have to find facility insurance (~$10k/yr).

IBC Brochure: http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochures/Ontario-Auto-Insurance-FAQ-ON.pdf

Thank you for the detailed reply.

happened on the 404.

not sure how these would be fought in court... any advice on that?

Cop no show is always your best bet.

Is there anything that could create doubt that it wasn't you (e.g. if you were back in normal lanes when you got pulled over, maybe the car the cop saw in the HOV lane wasn't you)?

That is an HTA moving violation so depending upon your insurers classifications it can lead to a rate increase, (if they check your record at any point in the next three years). So you "may" want to not make any major changes to your policy during that time or change insurers.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

happened on the 404.

That is an HTA moving violation so depending upon your insurers classifications it can lead to a rate increase, (if they check your record at any point in the next three years). So you "may" want to not make any major changes to your policy during that time or change insurers.

Hey Hedo,

I know you have experience with these matters, and thank you for replying.

have you ever seen this type of ticket win in court? any suggestions on conditions where this might be winnable, aside from officer not showing up.

thnx

Can't say I have ever seen one in court, I still get to court a bit. Personally HOV lanes didn't exist when I was on patrol duty.

Hey Hedo,

I know you have experience with these matters, and thank you for replying.

have you ever seen this type of ticket win in court? any suggestions on conditions where this might be winnable, aside from officer not showing up.

thnx

My recommendation is to choose the trial option, and check the box that you would like the officer to be present.

Wait for your 'Notice of Trial' in the mail. Once you get your 'Notice of Trial' which indicates your trial date and location.

Submit a 'Disclosure Request' to the prosecutor's office requesting for a copy of the officer's notes.

Once you get the officer's notes you can choose whether you want to defend the charge or seek a plea-deal.

Sample disclosure form, just remove the speed-measuring bullet and you should be good to go. I highly advise against using the ticketcombat form, it has too many irrelevant points for your charge.

My recommendation is to choose the trial option, and check the box that you would like the officer to be present.

Wait for your 'Notice of Trial' in the mail. Once you get your 'Notice of Trial' which indicates your trial date and location.

Submit a 'Disclosure Request' to the prosecutor's office requesting for a copy of the officer's notes.

Once you get the officer's notes you can choose whether you want to defend the charge or seek a plea-deal.

Sample disclosure form, just remove the speed-measuring bullet and you should be good to go. I highly advise against using the ticketcombat form, it has too many irrelevant points for your charge.

Thnx. That's what ill do. advice is much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom