tax deduction on taxes paid for used car purchase? | GTAMotorcycle.com

tax deduction on taxes paid for used car purchase?

mmmnaked

Banned
Im a business owner with an HST account - I buy a used car and pay $3000 or whatever in taxes on it... is this deductible? :agave:

Not deductible but you take it off what you remit

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes. If it's personally owned car you can deduct a certain % off and get HST back. If it's under the company name used for company purposes you get 100% back.

Just did this for a car I bought for the company last year.

Im a business owner with an HST account - I buy a used car and pay $3000 or whatever in taxes on it... is this deductible? :agave:

Not deductible but you take it off what you remit

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks I guess I'm using the wrong words... Basically I'm asking if I get to keep that portion of HST (the amount I paid on the car purchase) at the end of the year

Sounds like a yes, if the car is used strictly for business... Or I would work out a percentage based on usage.

It should be an input tax credit 100% if it is owned by the company your accountant will know more

Sent from a device using a program

Talk to your accountant... My guess is he will recommend to keep the car as personal.

It all depends on the size of the business. If you have multiple management and already own personal cars it's better to do it under business and get the full write off. Minor personal stuff doesn't matter ... CRA won't care that much as long as it's majority business.

Talk to a proper CPA/CA for proper advise!

Also talk to your accountant about stand-by charges.

CRA places a rather high value on you having at your disposal a "Free" vehicle. IIRC it's 2% of the purchase price per month as the driver's taxable benefits. After 10 years when the vehicle is worth a grand or two you still pay 2% of the purchase price.

Might be better off paying yourself mileage for all "business travel" ;) , it's over $0.50 per Km. Accountant would be the person to talk to.

Back
Top Bottom