My 1st Dirtbike -- what size and what kind? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My 1st Dirtbike -- what size and what kind?

The Kawi for $3K sounds about right. Ask Mr. Barrymiller (sorry for spelling - Craig) he races the Kawi 250's and could tell you more.
I'm hearing the same, 2-stroke the way to go. Lighter, revs faster, cheaper maintenance, and sounds oh so sweet.
I'm actually looking for a 2-stroker as a second bike to have, and once I learn about them and how to do maintenance and rebuild them might just sell the 4-stroke.
I am trying to get a hold of a decent 2 stroke now, it seems to be the general consensus among people that know.

Well, no luck with a 2 stroke, not with my budget at least. Settled for a 2009 KX250F with 23 hours. Picking it up on Sat, I am quite excited to get back into dirt, I haven't done any since I was 14 when I used to compete. I am probably going to suck :(

I used to race motocross waaaaay back in the 80's and early 90's ..... got out , rode street only for the next 25 years ..... Last summer , I traded in my beloved Ducati on a shiny new KTM 250xc (2 stroke) to go riding trails and mx tracks with my son ..... I suck ! but man , is it ever a blast ! and by comparison , it's a lot cheaper too ...... have fun ! Cheers, Les

I used to race motocross waaaaay back in the 80's and early 90's ..... got out , rode street only for the next 25 years ..... Last summer , I traded in my beloved Ducati on a shiny new KTM 250xc (2 stroke) to go riding trails and mx tracks with my son ..... I suck ! but man , is it ever a blast ! and by comparison , it's a lot cheaper too ...... have fun ! Cheers, Les
Similar story except that the last time I touch a motocross bike was in 1986.

This is mostly to have some fun and get in shape, I also just had a boy so eventually I want to get him into dirt as well from really early.

Consider trials.Physical and mental demands are much higher than just cowtrailing on trails that are very hard to find these days.The SOVT holds trials all season for just $5 entry fee.The bikes are low maintainance.Might be worth a look.
10577030_1503319569913734_4636999295879361978_n_zps30c716c1.jpg

Well, no luck with a 2 stroke, not with my budget at least. Settled for a 2009 KX250F with 23 hours. Picking it up on Sat, I am quite excited to get back into dirt, I haven't done any since I was 14 when I used to compete. I am probably going to suck :(

You'll be fine with that bike. First thing I'd do is put a set of barkbusters on. If you are riding rocky areas, a skid plate is a good idea. A db dawg will keep the decibal nazis at bay. If you really want to throw some money at it, revalve/respring of suspension, and a heavier flywheel. Proper tires go a long way as well.

I personally ride race bikes on the trails(single track), as do some of my friends, and although you can throw a ton of money at it to make it trail worthy, you don't have to. I only do barkbusters,skid plate, and rubber.

A good cheaper mx er for the trails is the 2t 250sx, and yz250. Kx,cr and rm are good too.

I mainly ride scorra, tons of tracts to ride and the permit is only 100$.

Shoot me a pm if ya wanna come for a ride. Opening day is tomorrow.

Similar story except that the last time I touch a motocross bike was in 1986.

This is mostly to have some fun and get in shape, I also just had a boy so eventually I want to get him into dirt as well from really early.

Congrats on the Kawi. Will be a sweet bike.
It's great for fitness and develops skills more challenging than any other type of riding.
So much to learn and so close to nature, it's the best.
Also great family activity.

Consider trials.Physical and mental demands are much higher than just cowtrailing on trails that are very hard to find these days.The SOVT holds trials all season for just $5 entry fee.The bikes are low maintainance.Might be worth a look.
I am interested for a future activity once I fully stop Road Racing but for now I really wanted to enjoy riding a dirt bike again. I remember how awesome it used to be.

Let me get some gear, ride the bike around my friends farm property to get familiar with it and then I'll definitely PM you. Thanks

Congrats on the Kawi. Will be a sweet bike.
It's great for fitness and develops skills more challenging than any other type of riding.
So much to learn and so close to nature, it's the best.
Also great family activity.
Yea I am very excited which I haven't been excited about Road Racing for a while now, or maybe even ever lol.

You'll be fine with that bike. First thing I'd do is put a set of barkbusters on. If you are riding rocky areas, a skid plate is a good idea. A db dawg will keep the decibal nazis at bay. If you really want to throw some money at it, revalve/respring of suspension, and a heavier flywheel. Proper tires go a long way as well.

I personally ride race bikes on the trails(single track), as do some of my friends, and although you can throw a ton of money at it to make it trail worthy, you don't have to. I only do barkbusters,skid plate, and rubber.

A good cheaper mx er for the trails is the 2t 250sx, and yz250. Kx,cr and rm are good too.

I mainly ride scorra, tons of tracts to ride and the permit is only 100$.

+1 we can be found on the scorra trails , at Rj's or Motopark .... plan on checking out Burnt River mx park this year too ......... Cheers, Les

i've been riding street bikes for many years. I've been riding mountain bicycles for years. Now, i'd like to get into dirt biking but know very little about dirt bikes. What size bike should my 1st dirt bike be? Is a 450 too big as my 1st bike? Should i try a 250cc? Is a 250cc easier to handle than a 450cc bike? I would like to do trail riding only for fun. I'm under 200lbs and 6 feet tall (if that matters)...

I'm sure this question has been asked before so apologies for the re-ask.

So what do you all suggest?

cr 500

I am interested for a future activity once I fully stop Road Racing but for now I really wanted to enjoy riding a dirt bike again. I remember how awesome it used to be.

Let me get some gear, ride the bike around my friends farm property to get familiar with it and then I'll definitely PM you. Thanks

Yea I am very excited which I haven't been excited about Road Racing for a while now, or maybe even ever lol.

Let me know when you're ready.

Let me know when you're ready.
Oh I will, Mid/End of may I should be ready to go. Does this mean I get to try and follow you around and keep up on 2 different types of bikes lol.

Last edited:
As hard as i can practice, I don't think I can become a black man.

Back
Top Bottom