My 1st Dirtbike -- what size and what kind? | GTAMotorcycle.com

My 1st Dirtbike -- what size and what kind?

BondJamesBond

I've been riding street bikes for many years. I've been riding mountain bicycles for years. Now, I'd like to get into dirt biking but know very little about dirt bikes. What size bike should my 1st dirt bike be? Is a 450 too big as my 1st bike? Should I try a 250cc? Is a 250cc easier to handle than a 450cc bike? I would like to do trail riding only for fun. I'm under 200lbs and 6 feet tall (if that matters)...

I'm sure this question has been asked before so apologies for the re-ask.

So what do you all suggest?

Talking purely offroad (double/single track, MX, hard enduro) 250cc is the way to go. That bike will make you happy when your new and a better rider, and still enjoy them when your more experienced.
450cc is just mean no matter who you are, but something to be considered if you really like offroad once you have some seat (or stand) time. But if you upgrade later on don't sell your 250.

I bought a crf450 as a first "real dirtbike"... I should have bought a 250. More forgiving...

Been riding street for 15 years.

Started in the dirt on a tw200.

Liquid cooled 250 4 stroke would be my suggestion.

Or do trail tours in the Ganny. Try a crf250 and see if it is to your liking.

My personal off-road favourite is the ktm 200xc. Lots of juice in a light little 125 chassis. Also extremely cheap when the time comes for rebuild.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Yes, definitely do a day at Trail Tours. Start on the CRF230 - it is really mild, but that's a good thing the first time you're in the woods. Maybe try the CRF250X in the afternoon for comparison.

I found that there didn't seem to be a lot of model choices from the Japanese manufacturers that fit between the very tame playbikes like the CRF230/TTR230 and the full on 250 MX race bikes.

The CRF250X (4 stroke), KTM 200 XCW (2 stroke), and the KDX 220 (2 stroke) would be good choices to consider for a full sized adult in the woods.

My personal off-road favourite is the ktm 200xc. Lots of juice in a light little 125 chassis. Also extremely cheap when the time comes for rebuild.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
i agree with this advise above the xc 200 is a lightweight reliable cheap to maintain and insure bike with a good resale value. A modern 450 is a beast for trail riding, one wrong twist can get you hurt bad real fast

Decide first whether or not you want a green plate or blue plate bike - will you need to ride it on the street or gravel to get to and from trails or are you going to haul it to mx tracks and specific wooded trails?

Thanks everyone. Your recommendations are aligned with my thoughts as well -- start with a 230 or 250. I have my eye on a Yamaha WR250F. I'd prefer an enduro or trail bike over a motocross or supercross bike. I'm also looking at CFR250s and Suzuki DRZ400. I guess I best take the 400 off the list.

a wr250f is comparable to a crf250x both are way more of an offroad bike than a Drz400. Do some research and Have fun either way. I may have a 2010 ktmxc 250 available soon as I bought a new bike, However it may be a little to much bike for you starting out.

a wr250f is comparable to a crf250x both are way more of an offroad bike than a Drz400. Do some research and Have fun either way. I may have a 2010 ktmxc 250 available soon as I bought a new bike, However it may be a little to much bike for you starting out.

Is there any chance this KTM 250 is blue plated?

250 without question!

All the fun you could ever have without the maintenance schedule of a 450.

They are pure joy to rip around on.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Your recommendations are aligned with my thoughts as well -- start with a 230 or 250. I have my eye on a Yamaha WR250F. I'd prefer an enduro or trail bike over a motocross or supercross bike. I'm also looking at CFR250s and Suzuki DRZ400. I guess I best take the 400 off the list.
The DRZ400 will be barely more powerful than the 250 and is much heavier. Decent bike for on/off-road but not the best choice for a pure off-roader.

To prove a point to myself, on a small little moto-track I rode my bigger bike back to back with my brother's 2001 WR250 (my bike is exactly 10 years newer, bigger motor, and some bling in it lol). I was faster and more comfortable on the decade-old, oil-leak, sturdy-old Yammi-250 !!
Missing my CRF250R ever since I sold it.

Last edited:
Ok so when I was a ten I used to race motocross to national level, fast forward a few decades and I am now looking into getting in shape doing something fun and I want to get back into dirt again.

I will confess I have not kept up to speed with the tech and I have 0 clue about today's bikes.

So the question is: 2009 Kx250F with 21 hours for 3k a good purchase? Am I wasting my time getting this bike and should go for something else? 2 stroke or 4 stroke (I only rode 2 stroke before)

Thanks

Last edited:
Honestly get a 2stroke,less headache less oil changes and no valves to worry about.

Honestly get a 2stroke,less headache less oil changes and no valves to worry about.
That is what a friend of mine is telling me, 2 stroke back in the day used to be a pain, I guess things have changed

Cheaper to rebuild too
Do i look like a man that has the time to rebuild anything lol - struggling to get the race bike ready for May 27th

The Kawi for $3K sounds about right. Ask Mr. Barrymiller (sorry for spelling - Craig) he races the Kawi 250's and could tell you more.
I'm hearing the same, 2-stroke the way to go. Lighter, revs faster, cheaper maintenance, and sounds oh so sweet.
I'm actually looking for a 2-stroker as a second bike to have, and once I learn about them and how to do maintenance and rebuild them might just sell the 4-stroke.

Back
Top Bottom