Long Distance Ride Anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long Distance Ride Anyone?

Anna

Would anyone be interested in a ride down to the Florida Keys at the end of April? I read a previous post about someone's experience and it peaked my interest. As a fairly new rider I am hesitant to go it alone.... Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideally I would want to ride to Florida, spend some time there, then ride back to Toronto.

Would anyone be interested in a ride down to the Florida Keys at the end of April? I read a previous post about someone's experience and it peaked my interest. As a fairly new rider I am hesitant to go it alone.... Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideally I would want to ride to Florida, spend some time there, then ride back to Toronto.

How many days is this trip? How many km/day? Site seeing stops/backroads/slabbing it? Have you done long rides before? Why Florida? I haven't been on a road in Florida that I found remotely intersting(although I havent explored the whole state). What bike do you have? Anticipated pace?

I'm not interested in the trip, but posting some of these answers may help others determine if they want in. Long rides are fun if you're prepared for them.

South of the Carolinas, it's all flat straight roads. Superslab gets boring quickly.

Once you're in the Keys, a motorcycle is a very good way to get around, Getting there is the challenge.

I'd suggest you'd be better off on a group ride down to Deal's Gap.

Last edited:
Have you been on any overnight rides? Try that first if not.

Riding to Florida is not exciting as others have mentioned.

Both Virginias, Carolinas, Tennessee - that's where the excitement lies.
South Carolina is very warm and has beaches if that's what you're looking for.
Shorter distance, way better roads.
It's 25h to Miami straight slabbing. That's 2-3 days of riding on highways each way.
So potentially 6 days on boring roads. Way longer if you take twisty route.

I'm not saying don't do it but think about it.

I rode to Florida a couple of years ago and decided to leave on a mild 12 C day in the first week of December. Wow, I did not see a bike on the road for 4 days until I got to Columbia, South Carolina. That trip was the first time I learned about that nasty phenomena called the Polar Vortex! Cold and raining for four days! I think a better long distance ride would be to go Deal's Gap which I would like to do in the May long weekend.

I rode to Florida a couple of years ago and decided to leave on a mild 12 C day in the first week of December. Wow, I did not see a bike on the road for 4 days until I got to Columbia, South Carolina. That trip was the first time I learned about that nasty phenomena called the Polar Vortex! Cold and raining for four days! I think a better long distance ride would be to go Deal's Gap which I would like to do in the May long weekend.

Im up for Deal's Gap in May

If you're not used to long trips, get some under your belt before you do something like that. Do some weekend trips to upstate New York/Pennsylvania/Quebec/etc to get a feel for what you're up for.

Also, don't go to Florida. It's a really big state, with almost nothing in it except for geriatrics and meth heads. Miami and the Keys are nice, but you would be much better served flying there and renting a car/bike. There are many much more interesting rides that you can do in that timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom