Ganny Questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ganny Questions

Mandryk

A few years ago I rode in the Ganny and it had some spectacular single track.
I am eager to ride there again this year and introduce some friends to the trails.

I have renewed my Ganny pass and have insurance and registration for my 2 stroke.
In reading the Ganny website I noticed that bikes are now required to have spark arrestors.

Questions:
Does anyone know if this enforced (for a 2 stroke)?
If enforced do we need a USFS spark arrestor (expensive for an old bike) or will a DIY screen be enough?
Has anyone heard if the trails are opening early this year for motorized toys?

Thanks

They have always required spark arrestors. I've never seen them enforce it, but I would imagine if they did it would be a simple visual or probing inspection. DIY screen is likely enough.

AFAIK the trails will be opening May 1st as usual.

Northumberland forest opens may 15.
You can buy a spark arrestor on line for cheap, they may just have to be altered slightly to fit YOUR Application. I bought one off amazon and modified it slightly....all legal now. Don't get caught without one on the trails.

Thank you for the responses.
I will try retrofitting a S.A. for my bike.
A buddy has bought a new Husqvarna and they don't come with a spark arrestor either.

Great video Dave. Thanks!

My daughters 65sx doesn't have one and to be honest I didn't really see what the fuss was about. Then one night my buddy and I started ripping around on it in the dark and I couldn't believe how many sparks were flying out. It looked pretty cool, but not good for the woods.

No problem.
I found Lowes has a good selection of those drain screens in different sizes. One of the few times that I left Lowes happy. haha...

Just a word of caution...arrestor screens are very fine. The whole idea here is not to set the forest ablaze. Those lowes screens may not do what u intended them to do.
Just say en....

Yes, I've been thinking about that. I was thinking that doubling up the screen would effectively make it a finer screen. I think I'll do that.
It's really a shame how many bikes I see at Ganny that for sure have no arrestor at all. Many pure MX bikes with wicked loud pipes.

Just a word of caution...arrestor screens are very fine. The whole idea here is not to set the forest ablaze. Those lowes screens may not do what u intended them to do.
Just say en....

I like the idea of test rides and night to see if the arrestor is working.

I am going to try doubling up the screen that doozerdave's video showed.
I have an '08 KTM 250 xcw which does not have bolts at the of the silencer so I am not sure whats in there.
This should be a simple process but I supect I'll turn it into a multi-day event!

Go away snow....I can't wait to ride!!!!

For the record that's not me in the video. I just copied his idea.

You may find that the end cap and inner core are so tight that the screen won't fit. He made it look easy in his video but I couldn't get it to go with the 250 SX-F pipe.

Screens don't work well on 2 strokes. Spooge will plug it up.

2 stroke spark arrestors are spiral core cause of this.

If you want to run a screen for the ganny buy one of these and screw it on from the outside so you can pull it off and clean it easy.
8a7cbb6b3095b8dfdd0809907d822a0f.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom