finally got some quotes(Paul South) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

finally got some quotes(Paul South)

It's never a question if a rider will drop a bike, but "when".....

I dont know Im sure there are riders both novices and experienced a like who have never dropped a bike, not saying it doesnt happen but to arbitrarily assume that EVERY rider MUST drop a bike as if its a right of passage is kind of silly, especially considering im probably going to be buying a very tame bike

Its not that i mind buying a used bike but:

1. Its harder to finance used bikes your buying off someone else(I dont got that kind of cash lying around)
2. Its used and i am no expert on bikes, nor am i a mechanic, so if its been dropped before, or has some damage that might be problematic I'll remain clueless
3. I've looked at used bikes, and essentially the price difference isnt really huge between new beginner bikes and used ones (a 1000$ difference doesnt sway me, between a new ninja 300 and a used one is there really a price difference)??

Apart from a potential insurance discount, i dont see the benefit of getting a used bike(where i can get only the barebones coverage, liability instead of full coverage required on a new financed bike, which now that i think about it probably applies to an old bike as well if its financed and not fully owned by me)

Im a big strong dude, who will be riding carefully, and im taking the MSF course this weekend, while i appreciate all the advice, i doubt ill be dropping it or getting into any real trouble with it tbh.

On a side note:
What about parts/repairs? I imagine its easier to do that on a bike thats currently in production?

That just makes it more embarrassing when it happens.

hey supernova,

from one 'new' rider to another, you're gonna drop it. may not necessarily crash it, but it will at least be dropped in a parking lot or garage. its nothing against you, but its a near certainty. Murphy's law and all that, so plan for the eventuality that it will be down at some point.

the two common adages for motorcyclists are "dress for the slide, not the ride" and "its not if you will drop it, but when". these are great rules of thumb to follow, because we as motorcyclists have been on both sides of both of these at different times. no one ever plans to crash or drop it, but it happens. its not that every rider must drop it, but the odds that it will happen are very very good.

so, getting a used bike is a great way to not have to pay big bucks to fix a new bike.

1. Its harder to finance used bikes your buying off someone else(I dont got that kind of cash lying around)

Bank loan?

2. Its used and i am no expert on bikes, nor am i a mechanic, so if its been dropped before, or has some damage that might be problematic I'll remain clueless

Read this: http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html
If you can't or don't feel comfortable going for a test ride, ask the current owner for a demonstration. Oh yeah and always check the ownership and get the VIN and UVIP if possible before visiting.

a used bike(where i can get only the barebones coverage, liability instead of full coverage required on a new financed bike)

ASAIK minimum liability-only coverage only applies to bikes 30+ years old. Give Paul a call, I'm pretty sure you could get full coverage on those Vulcans.

Im a big strong dude, who will be riding carefully, and im taking the MSF course this weekend, while i appreciate all the advice, i doubt ill be dropping it or getting into any real trouble with it tbh.

Nobody ever wants to drop their bike, go for a fun asphalt slide or have an accident. Maybe it'll never happen, but given that your finances sound limited wouldn't the logical approach be to at least acknowledge that it might?

yeah, I hear naked bikes are way cheaper to repair if you drop them or scratch them up...

If the bike drops in the parking lot or something silly like that while its at a standstill im assuming you cant do any major damage to the bike that way? and will only be a minor cosmetic thing?

When people talk about new riders dropping their bikes, anyone have any stats? Do they drop them while stationary, or while riding????

Last edited:
My first bike was $1500, second was $2500, both used around ten years ago. You should still be able to get something for around $2500 nowadays. If you have to finance, then a car would be more practical, over something for recreation. If a new $10,000 bike drops in a parking lot, you'll probably do at least $500 damage to the paint if it lands on a fairing or the tank. Especially if it's that expensive two-tone paint. But yes, it will be cosmetic for the most part. I did manage to pinch a clutch cable once, which subsequently broke. Most people who have a single vehicle accident, would be embarrassed about it, and won't report it, so there won't be stats.

My dad passed his beginner's course and now has an M2. He got his first bike and dropped it last weekend while at a stop. He was embarrassed for sure. Same story with my younger brother. Luckily I haven't dropped my zx6r but I won't be too surprised when it does. **** happens. Good luck either with either choice, and have fun.

Was involved in my first street bike wreck at about my second year of riding circa 1993 (not my fault, but as usual the rider always gets the brunt of it), and nearly dropped my VTX last December in a parking spot on the side of the street - stopped, put my foot down, just enough sand to effect my footing, foot slipped....thankfully I was able to brute force it back up, but it was close.

Neither was "expected".

Never say never. Shiat happens. Might be your fault, often someone else's, but never say never.

Back
Top Bottom