finally got some quotes(Paul South) | GTAMotorcycle.com

finally got some quotes(Paul South)

supernova12034

Finally found the time to call around and ask for quotes, spend pretty much the entire day and had to take the day off work,

Earlier i had assumed like some of the other members on here, that the class of the bike seems to play a bigger role in insurance than the CC, but after calling around and emailing various people it turns out that the beginner 'sport bikes' like R3 and Ninja 300(300cc's) are actually cheaper than beginner cruiser bikes(Vstar 650 at 650cc, Honda shadow at 750cc etc)

I got quoted cheaper for the R3/ninja than the cruisers across the board by various brokers/agents.

and by FAR the best quotes i got(For every bike on my list) were from Paul South at Surnet Insurance, cant speak highly enough of him, he killed all the competition with his quotes and was very helpful and now I have a much better picture of what insurance will be like and which bike ill be getting.

Probably because 650's and 750's aren't beginner cruisers lol.

There are 300-500cc cruisers out there that will likely fit you much better than a Ninja. A 500cc Honda Shadow will cost me $1700/yr with Dalton Timmis. Not the best, but considering my initial quotes were $2400-$3000, it's alright.

Last edited:
There are 300-500cc cruisers out there that will likely fit you much better than a Ninja. A 500cc Honda Shadow will cost me $1700/yr with Dalton Timmis. Not the best, but considering my initial quotes were $2400-$3000, it's alright.

you live in Mississauga eh? How old are you?

I dealt with paul 5-6 years ago when I got back in the saddle after 15 years. I got the best deal from him.

Well at least you're past the 25 mark. So what engine size are you looking at?

well initially i was looking at some beginner cruiser bikes but because the vstar 650 and shadow are over 660 cc the rates were outrageous, so i started giving the brokers/agents/companies a list of potential bikes, and finally found some decent quotes with Paul south

With your size a Klr650 would fit you really well.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

well initially i was looking at some beginner cruiser bikes but because the vstar 650 and shadow are over 660 cc the rates were outrageous, so i started giving the brokers/agents/companies a list of potential bikes

OK, but what are those potential bikes? Why does a "beginner" cruiser start at 650cc? What's wrong with a 500cc Vulcan or Shadow? Maybe an older 450 Nighthawk? If you have to go really low on insurance there's the V-Star/Virago 250 or Honda Rebel.

OK, but what are those potential bikes? Why does a "beginner" cruiser start at 650cc? What's wrong with a 500cc Vulcan or Shadow? Maybe an older 450 Nighthawk? If you have to go really low on insurance there's the V-Star/Virago 250 or Honda Rebel.

I gave them a list of like 10 bikes.

The vulcan 500 is not listed on the kawi site, is it no longer manufactured? (Im guessing you want me to get a used?) The shadow is the phantom, 750cc(unless theres an older smaller version i dont know of)

I looked into the vstar 250 but was repeatedly told its super slow and probably a waste of money(I have no intention of really trading in a bike after i have ridden for a year)

With your size a Klr650 would fit you really well.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Iv never ridden a dirt bike, or a dual purpose bike, I cant even imagine what it would be like to ride? On the road/gravel/dirt/mud?

Id have to go take a look at it to see how it even looks, and how i fit on it, and the CC's are 650 so its probably on the higher end of the premiums

I Dont know how they feel while riding, plus i might not like how it looks

The vulcan 500 is not listed on the kawi site, is it no longer manufactured? (Im guessing you want me to get a used?) (I have no intention of really trading in a bike after i have ridden for a year)

Yes, I don't understand this compulsion to buy new especially as a beginner. The potential to destroy your wallet/credit is way too high, unless you're made of money but seeing as how you're limited by insurance costs I would guess not. Bikes aren't like cars, they're only used outside of winter, the maintenance is easier and if well maintained the engine lasts forever. You're really limiting yourself by only looking at new bikes. Reselling a beginner bike is easy, there's always demand.

The Vulcan 500 (EN500) was produced up until 2009, so it's not like they're ancient. There are a few 2000+ year models out there on Kijiji usually priced between $2500-$3500. Think about it.

Edit: Here's a couple
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ean-mint-kawasaki-valcan-500-cheap/1148493702
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...n-500-en-ltd-all-original-2750-obo/1147131338

Last edited:
Whay @smc said. I have have been preaching the same thing since I have been here. Hoping that the young ' uns will learn from my experience.
(It doesn't seem to be working btw)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yes, I don't understand this compulsion to buy new especially as a beginner. The potential to destroy your wallet/credit is way too high, unless you're made of money but seeing as how you're limited by insurance costs I would guess not. Bikes aren't like cars, they're only used outside of winter, the maintenance is easier and if well maintained the engine lasts forever. You're really limiting yourself by only looking at new bikes. Reselling a beginner bike is easy, there's always demand.

The Vulcan 500 (EN500) was produced up until 2009, so it's not like they're ancient. There are a few 2000+ year models out there on Kijiji usually priced between $2500-$3500. Think about it.

Edit: Here's a couple
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ean-mint-kawasaki-valcan-500-cheap/1148493702
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...n-500-en-ltd-all-original-2750-obo/1147131338

Its not that i mind buying a used bike but:

1. Its harder to finance used bikes your buying off someone else(I dont got that kind of cash lying around)
2. Its used and i am no expert on bikes, nor am i a mechanic, so if its been dropped before, or has some damage that might be problematic I'll remain clueless
3. I've looked at used bikes, and essentially the price difference isnt really huge between new beginner bikes and used ones (a 1000$ difference doesnt sway me, between a new ninja 300 and a used one is there really a price difference)??

Apart from a potential insurance discount, i dont see the benefit of getting a used bike(where i can get only the barebones coverage, liability instead of full coverage required on a new financed bike, which now that i think about it probably applies to an old bike as well if its financed and not fully owned by me)

Im a big strong dude, who will be riding carefully, and im taking the MSF course this weekend, while i appreciate all the advice, i doubt ill be dropping it or getting into any real trouble with it tbh.

On a side note:
What about parts/repairs? I imagine its easier to do that on a bike thats currently in production?

Last edited:
I order for this thread to be useful, please provide details about:
Rider: age, location, experience and traffic violations
Make, model and year of bike
Coverage: (for example) Liab 2 mil, comprehensive, collision, depreciation waiver and deductible amount.
Is your coverage stand-alone or quoted including your home or Auto?

Back
Top Bottom