weather checked tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

weather checked tires

happycrappy

Site Supporter
99% I know the answer here, but cars or bikes, any weather checking on a tire allowed on a safety inspection? Verifying for a buddy, but I'm betting a big fat no

Tire checking is usually caused by the rubber in the carcass drying out with age.

Do you really want to ride a " new to you" bike with old shagged tires? (... in case you don't know, the answer to that question is NO).

99% I know the answer here, but cars or bikes, any weather checking on a tire allowed on a safety inspection? Verifying for a buddy, but I'm betting a big fat no

As always it will be up to the inspecting technician. The wording in the regulations: "Each tire shall be inspected for depth of tread, tread and sidewall defects, regrooving,..." then goes on to specify no visible cords... Weather checking is not specifically covered in the current iteration of the regulations. However, if the tire is questionable would you want a technician to certify it?

It might be safe it might not (given that I can't see the tire). If you're not sure, take the bike or just the rim and tire) to a shop you trust and ask.

Check the date stamp - as you probably know, the last 4 digits are week/year of manufacture.
If they are more than 5 or 6 years old, its likely best to replace them just because...

Up to the inspecting tech, but the regulations do not specific weather cracking as a reason for failure. If your friend bought a bike and you are trying to go after the tech/shop that did it, you are out of luck.

Still a good idea to replace them though

Edit: The exact wording from the current regulations

Code:
(3) Each tire shall be inspected for depth of tread, tread and sidewall defects, regrooving, proper size and application, and,

(a) no tire shall be worn to the extent that in any major groove at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire,

(i) the tread wear indicators contact the road, or

(ii) less than 1.5 millimetres of tread depth remains;

(b) no tire shall have exposed cord;

(c) no tire shall have tread or sidewall cuts or snags deep enough to expose the cords;

(d) no tire shall have any abnormal visible bump, bulge or knot;

(e) no tire shall have been regrooved or recut below the original new tire groove depth;

(f) no tire shall be of a smaller size than the motorcycle manufacturer’s specified minimum size or be sufficiently oversized as to contact any vehicle component so as to affect the safe operation of the vehicle; and

(g) no vehicle shall be fitted with a tire that,

(i) bears the wording “not for highway use”, “farm use only”, “competition circuit use only” or any other wording or lettering indicating that the tire was not designed for highway use, or

(ii) bears the letters “SL”, “NHS” or “TG” after the tire designation.

"You can do it ... buuuuuut ... I don't like it ... I just don't have any grounds to say that you can't ..."

No intention on using the tires; he's wary of he shop selling the vehicle safetied with the current tire.

No intention on using the tires; he's wary of he shop selling the vehicle safetied with the current tire.

The onus is entirely on the signing tech. If the shop wants to take the risk (if there is any) and the tech agrees it is safe by his/her judgement, then it's not your problem, it's theirs.

Back
Top Bottom