E-bike license | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

E-bike license

IMHO if it has a motor, it is a motorized vehicle and should be treated as such.
Drivers licence, plate, insurance and helmet mandatory.
Not allowed on the sidewalk or in the bicycle lane because its not a bicycle.
Why the province makes these things so difficult is a mystery. Exceptions on top of exemptions on top of errors.
Then have the city throw in their two cents and you wind up with a right royal mess.
The purpose of allowing light electric assist bikes is to incentivize people to use alternatives to the car, for the sake of the economy, congestion, pollution, physical health.

It doesn't have to be complicated but it's new and evolving tech so gov't is going to get it wrong (a lot) before it gets it right.

Maybe:

You have to be registered and have a license plate, but have a one time $25 for a license plate (as is currently done with trailers). No annual renewals. At least this way, offending vehicles and operators could be identified.

You need to have a driver's license - but if you don't already have a driver's license for some other vehicle class, you just have to pass whatever the written test is for the first step of getting a motorcycle license, and then you get a restricted license with no annual fee and no renewal (unless you later upgrade to get licensed for a different vehicle class). This way, at least the operators of these vehicles would have read the rules. Of course that's no assurance that they follow them ... but now, with a license plate and a driver's license, the cops could identify people and lay charges, and they can't use the "no one ever told me the rules" excuse.

but now, with a license plate and a driver's license, the cops could identify people and lay charges, and they can't use the "no one ever told me the rules" excuse.

And they could be revoked. If you can't handle power, back to human power for you. Right now there is no way to stop a menace on an ebike.

How much do these solutions actually solve? How much are people just coming up with ideas for regulations out of spite for the piss poor driving habits of so many e-bike riders (the DUI license-suspended ones in particular)?

I bet you close the loophole where unlicensed people can ride a motorized vehicle with no effort, and the problem disappears. Again, I say make e-bikes subject to the same regs as mopeds, and require pedelecs to have their power controlled by the motion of the pedals. The DUI-bikes will disappear.

Ugh.

Every time the topic of E-bikes and bicycles come up on this forum, there's so much GD talk about regulation and fixing all the problems that "crazy cyclists" are causing you (which I bet has more to do with your internal stresses of something problematic happening to YOU while on your 100hp motorcycle or car as you whisk past a measly cyclist or e-bike rider).

It's like you're all so butt hurt about the regulations and insurance requirements of having a car or motorcycle in this province that you want everyone else to suffer the same consequences.

Does that mean we need to over regulate it and turn it into a licensing/insuring/plating POS mess at the damn MOT? is the MOT not beusy enough for you people?

Can an e-bike or cyclist cause undo harm onto others? Sure. Can a pedestrian carrying a 50lb object trip and have it smash into your car/bike too? Most definitely. Maybe we should have people get licenses and have personal insurance if they wanna carry 50lb objects in public places. You know, we can offer government regulated training for how to properly pick up, carry, maneuver and negotiate sidewalks with large or heavy objects. "Hey you got a license for that TV you're carrying?"

Get over yourselves FFS.

Ugh.

Every time the topic of E-bikes and bicycles come up on this forum, there's so much GD talk about regulation and fixing all the problems that "crazy cyclists" are causing you (which I bet has more to do with your internal stresses of something problematic happening to YOU while on your 100hp motorcycle or car as you whisk past a measly cyclist or e-bike rider).

It's like you're all so butt hurt about the regulations and insurance requirements of having a car or motorcycle in this province that you want everyone else to suffer the same consequences.

Does that mean we need to over regulate it and turn it into a licensing/insuring/plating POS mess at the damn MOT? is the MOT not beusy enough for you people?

Can an e-bike or cyclist cause undo harm onto others? Sure. Can a pedestrian carrying a 50lb object trip and have it smash into your car/bike too? Most definitely. Maybe we should have people get licenses and have personal insurance if they wanna carry 50lb objects in public places. You know, we can offer government regulated training for how to properly pick up, carry, maneuver and negotiate sidewalks with large or heavy objects. "Hey you got a license for that TV you're carrying?"

Get over yourselves FFS.

Sure, provided those people who are carrying heavy parcels are running at 30 Kmh.

For my part, I'm not talking about an annual fee. Something like a trailer plate that's a one-time fee, then good forever. Something that can identify the owner. Couple that with perhaps some form of basic insurance, even as simple as a rider on your home owner's/renter's policy. Simple, easy, and not onerous to maintain.

Last edited:
Ugh.

Get over yourselves FFS.

Some valid points but the streets are being encroached upon by more mobility devices and at some point we will have to deal with them or face gridlock.

Our present system is that things are OK unless banned by a particular law. It takes years to create laws and by then patterns are established and hard to break. If the thing is popular there is an expectation that the government will use taxpayer money pay for a playground.

It's different for electrical appliances in that they are banned until approved by CSA.

I like Brian P's suggestion that the E-bike gets treated like a trailer.

The operator themselves can get a "License" not unlike the ones issued to boaters. Those can be obtained on line, at boat shows, dealers etc. They eliminate the "Gee. I didn't know" factor and point out the liabilities and the DUI no-no.

Thought about this thread while headed over to GP to pickup my wifes bike rims/tires. Two guys wobbling northbound on Thickson road on ebikes past the 401 offramp, down the hill, feet dragging, wobbling all over the road (honestly, they were either high, drunk, or had never ridden a 2 wheeled vehicle before, not sure which) with cars literally swerving and slamming on their brakes to avoid them as they came down the hill to the lights.

They rounded the corner onto Champlain out front of the Tim Hortons, one navigated the corner and then randomly stopped in an active lane of traffic, the guy behind went up onto the sidewalk and took off down it for about 100 feet before he realized his buddy wasn't with him anymore, turned around and drove onto the road facing the wrong way in an active lane to get back to him.

Lost track of the shenanigans at that point, my light turned green and I had to go.

Yeah, I agree....some licensing or something is in order.

Right now there is no way to stop a menace on an ebike.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom