Is this an April fools joke - rate trippled for no reason | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this an April fools joke - rate trippled for no reason

-D-

Banned
If you are drinking something, put it down.

Ok, I know it's April fools day but I am pretty certain StateFarm is not joking.
I called to find out my new rate as now they are owned by DeJardin Insurance.

Nothing changed on my policy, no tickets, nothing except for SF being bought out.
I called to get my new rate and get ready for it...
It went from $1400 a year to $3100.
Yes, $3100. I asked if they remove collision what would the rate be...hold on to savings....hold on...
still holding...it drops to $3k.

Damn!
I've been with SF for a loooong time, no issues, clean record.
Ok, let me start phoning around now.

* If this is what is going on, there will be a lot of ppl riding without insurance.

And TD also. Makes no difference though other than the initial shock. Most people finding better deals than they had before with allstate or one of the other brokers on here...Just a redistribution of bikes going to other companies. I suspect with SF they had a disproportionate amount of SS bikes since they classified by CC not type.

I wonder if they'll lose profits. Surely the amount of claims they made in the past with motorcycles didn't exceed how much of a following they once had and how much money they were getting from this following.

I wonder if they'll lose profits. Surely the amount of claims they made in the past with motorcycles didn't exceed how much of a following they once had and how much money they were getting from this following.
It should hep the bottom line as they were losing money on sportbikes.

You and everybody else on an SS with state farm

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=194082

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

thanks for posting the link

This is crazy and I do hope fellow riders move all your business elsewhere (assuming it's cheaper).
I guess no profit is better than some profit to them.

In that thread their was a chart. It shows more cruiser riders almost 1/3rd more crash vs. sport bike riders.

your not really seeing it, there was already no profit on the sportbike sector, less sportbikes my equal some profit. Move your policy, they will thankyou.
1/3 more cruisers crash, they tip over at a stoplight and spill coffee. Sportbikes have enormous medical bills attached to the tipover @ 120kph.

If you are drinking something, put it down.

Ok, I know it's April fools day but I am pretty certain StateFarm is not joking.
I called to find out my new rate as now they are owned by DeJardin Insurance.

Nothing changed on my policy, no tickets, nothing except for SF being bought out.
I called to get my new rate and get ready for it...
It went from $1400 a year to $3100.
Yes, $3100. I asked if they remove collision what would the rate be...hold on to savings....hold on...
still holding...it drops to $3k.

Damn!
I've been with SF for a loooong time, no issues, clean record.
Ok, let me start phoning around now.

* If this is what is going on, there will be a lot of ppl riding without insurance.

Got a letter from SF last night re coming changes to SAB that may allow you to tailor your coverage a bit. Since SABs are the huge money pit for insurance right now perhaps it's worth asking if those changes (due ~June 1, I think) will affect your rates.

Curious: What do you ride and what else do you have with SF besides the bike?

I'm paying ~$1000 for my Fazer at the moment but have 3 cars and my house (and belongings etc) with them too. My agent won't even give me a hint at what's coming (just tells me I have to await my renewal in late August). I'm trying to get a feeling for the effect that having a bunch of other stuff bundled together might be with SF/Dej.

I'm paying ~$1000 for my Fazer at the moment but have 3 cars and my house (and belongings etc) with them too. My agent won't even give me a hint at what's coming (just tells me I have to await my renewal in late August). I'm trying to get a feeling for the effect that having a bunch of other stuff bundled together might be with SF/Dej.

I have life+house+2 cars with SF, my agent told me to go elsewhere for my bike.

I have two cars/house/bike with Aviva, house with state farm, and boats with Aviva and Lloyds. Four different brokers because they cant do the same stuff and three of four told me to shop the rates annually.

Got a letter from SF last night re coming changes to SAB that may allow you to tailor your coverage a bit. Since SABs are the huge money pit for insurance right now perhaps it's worth asking if those changes (due ~June 1, I think) will affect your rates.

Curious: What do you ride and what else do you have with SF besides the bike?

That's the same thing they told me, wait and see.
Dude, check the SF thread ... your rate is going UP.

This is their way of saying shove off.

thanks for posting the link

This is crazy and I do hope fellow riders move all your business elsewhere (assuming it's cheaper).
I guess no profit is better than some profit to them.

In that thread their was a chart. It shows more cruiser riders almost 1/3rd more crash vs. sport bike riders.

You'll also notice that the deaths per 10,000 motorcycles is over three times higher for supersports, and there are six times the number of cruisers on the road. So what you thought was a plus for Supersports is actually a minus. That's the problem with stats. Was the chart from the U.S.?

Last edited:
You'll also notice that the deaths per 10,000 motorcycles is over three times higher for supersports, and there are six times the number of cruisers on the road. So what you thought was a plus for Supersports is actually a minus. That's the problem with stats. Was the chart from the U.S.?

Strictly speaking it's cheaper for an insurer if the rider dies. No rehab etc. Life insurance is difference but the auto policy people would rather have the rider dead, assuming he is at fault.

Strictly speaking it's cheaper for an insurer if the rider dies. No rehab etc. Life insurance is difference but the auto policy people would rather have the rider dead, assuming he is at fault.

Sure, but that wasn't addressed in the chart.
All -D- posted was that the raw number of deaths on cruisers was more.
Which makes a tremendous amount of sense when there are six times the number of riders.
In fact it should be expected to be way higher than the actual number, if ss riders were safer.

Also, if it's in the U.S., some States don't have helmet laws, which would raise the number of deaths.

I just wanted to say to -D-: "That chart, I don't think it means, what you think it means."

Sure, but that wasn't addressed in the chart.
All -D- posted was that the raw number of deaths on cruisers was more.
Which makes a tremendous amount of sense when there are six times the number of riders.
In fact it should be expected to be way higher than the actual number, if ss riders were safer.

Also, if it's in the U.S., some States don't have helmet laws, which would raise the number of deaths.

I just wanted to say to -D-: "That chart, I don't think it means, what you think it means."

All of the charts are meaningless to me for the most part.
WE are getting ripped off in Ontario...yet we keep paying and taking it.
How the heck do we possibly change this?

I was told by a senior insurance agent that we pay the most in North America.

Back
Top Bottom